talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Recreational Drugs in Sports

football forum

Should International/elite sportsmen be penalized for using recreational drugs ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should International/elite sportsmen be penalized for using recreational drugs ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it effects their performance whether deliberately or not
    • You got better solution Smart Ass !

• The title was changed to Recreational Drugs in Sports
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if it's performance enhancing or they are playing whilst under the influence which would bring the game into disrepute.

I've never tried any drug but it's not my business what players get up to in their own time for recreation. However the rest of the world likes to vote to castrate sportspeople for doing anything that isn't perfect so I'm sure I'm not the majority view.

• Subscriber

I don't care as long as it's not performance enhancing. I mean, when it comes to use and possession of illegal drugs, the same laws should definitely apply to them as they do to any other citizen and they should be held accountable for it  - but outside of that I don't think they should be penalised for it in terms of bans or suspensions.

All drugs, be they designed for recreational use of for the purpose of performance enhancement, shouldn’t be banned outright. Ban is the wrong word. If Fulham fielded a player who had taken cocaine, he’d be buzzing around the pitch. If Chelsea let Jorginho take weed before every match, he’d be relaxed out of his head. I can’t tell the difference with that Chelsea example, but more to the point. Restrictions should come into place should the drugs be found to interfere with the player on the pitch. They’re only human at the end of the day, and if they want to smoke a spliff then so be it.

If it's just before the match then I can see the issue, it's like letting a drunk play football. If they did it in their own time where it'd wouldn't affect their performance, then there is no issue in my opinion especially if it's just weed.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Don't think it can be an advantage to a player, however any sportsman shouldn't use drugs during his sports career. Sets a bad example to the one's that look up to them, but that is just me.

I get your point but professional athletes aren't paid to be role models and it's not their responsibility. It's true that kids are always going to look up to their favourite athletes (or to any other public figures) so I agree that they should at least try to behave on the pitch and in public and be a functioning member of society, but you can't expect them to be a moral compass to anyone; especially not when it comes to their private life. Also anyway, the sooner a kid learns to differentiate between "being good at something" and "being a good person", the better.

Archived