talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should The FA/Premier League Do More To Support English sides in Europe?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I don't think Spurs lost because they didn't have enough time. They lost because they didn't truly understand what they were up against and didn't have the team/tactics to cope.

• Subscriber

Just to add to Spurs woes, no depth is also a reason they couldn't cope yesterday and probably wont be able to cope in the league with the losses they've had too. I don't get where anyone can come out saying they didn't have time to prepare as the excuse for that loss yesterday.

I think @RandoEFC is right. When premier league clubs complain about things like the Dutch league changing the schedule around to help Ajax out (or other instances when it's happened in the past) and the premier league club demands the league needs to do more... while the league has secured them a ridiculous amount of money each year. The fixtures are the way they are because of the broadcasters, they get to determine the schedule. Don't like it, then perhaps we should consider we don't take as much money from the broadcasters so the league can retain more control over itself?

But then the league is likely a much lower standard without that money and we'd probably fall behind the other big European leagues in terms of quality overall, because unlike Ajax I don't think we've really got the same standard of conveyer belt for talent because of how high expectations are in the league and how much money is at stake. But maybe that will change clubs priorities with much less money to burn?

It'll never happen though, the clubs aren't going to say no to outrageous amounts of money.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But then the league is likely a much lower standard without that money and we'd probably fall behind the other big European leagues in terms of quality overall, because unlike Ajax I don't think we've really got the same standard of conveyer belt for talent because of how high expectations are in the league and how much money is at stake. But maybe that will change clubs priorities with much less money to burn?

I don't think this is entirely true. The problem is also more deeply rooted in the first point you made which is regarding all the influx of money. When you're forced to adapt and get better you will get better. If you're given a get-out-of-jail card to go and buy replacements for your inept grassroots system you'll naturally gravitate to the easier option. The money just inflates the value of a club beyond which they will never foster youth development as their future just because they never have to.

Archived