• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Salford City Promoted to Football League

Recommended Posts

Pleased the utter cunts have fucked off to the EFL. 

Just over 8,000 at Wembley today for the occasion. Will grant you both teams are plastic and then some but fucking hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tlr said:

Pleased the utter cunts have fucked off to the EFL. 

Just over 8,000 at Wembley today for the occasion. Will grant you both teams are plastic and then some but fucking hell.

Get why you don't like Salford but what's wrong with Fylde? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Get why you don't like Salford but what's wrong with Fylde? 

They're basically the same as Forest Green, Billericay and Salford etc. in that their success is because they've been bankrolled for their every whim. They've come from nowhere in the space of about a decade with a new club name, colours and stadium to broaden their appeal, especially attractive as they are only a handful of miles from Blackpool, who have had a very unhappy fanbase over the same period - the bloke who owns Fylde has also sniffed around buying Blackpool off the Oystons in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tlr said:

They're basically the same as Forest Green, Billericay and Salford etc. in that their success is because they've been bankrolled for their every whim. They've come from nowhere in the space of about a decade with a new club name, colours and stadium to broaden their appeal, especially attractive as they are only a handful of miles from Blackpool, who have had a very unhappy fanbase over the same period - the bloke who owns Fylde has also sniffed around buying Blackpool off the Oystons in the past.

Fair enough. Although you could argue that those clubs come from small towns and have no way of competing without investment. I also think all clubs have had investment at some point in their history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another utterly dull side enters the FL then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope they go back down to be honest. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Fair enough. Although you could argue that those clubs come from small towns and have no way of competing without investment. I also think all clubs have had investment at some point in their history

Does all come back down to how you define 'buying' your way as a football team. All clubs at every level above Sunday league have investment (usually); I think what pissed me off with Salford more than anything is that the BBC and other media paraded them around like they were the Second Coming or some plucky underdog standing face to face with aversion or something. Don't have a problem with Fylde per se, nor FGR, Fleetwood, Eastleigh, Crawley etc. like them. What inspired the plastic comment more than anything was that they could muster less than five figures between them for what is the biggest match in either's history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, tlr said:

Does all come back down to how you define 'buying' your way as a football team. All clubs at every level above Sunday league have investment (usually); I think what pissed me off with Salford more than anything is that the BBC and other media paraded them around like they were the Second Coming or some plucky underdog standing face to face with aversion or something. Don't have a problem with Fylde per se, nor FGR, Fleetwood, Eastleigh, Crawley etc. like them. What inspired the plastic comment more than anything was that they could muster less than five figures between them for what is the biggest match in either's history.

To be honest from what I have seen the media has mentioned their investment quite a lot. As you said all clubs have had investment. I think it is hard for a club like Salford to get much support when they are competing with man utd and city. I think Salford are the worst though. There wage has been ridiculous for the level they are at and it is unfair in my opinion

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BBC love-in for Salford City has been truly tiresome. 

So many clubs with centuries of history rattling around in non-league who have simply been mismanaged/poorly run in recent times, with still-loyal fanbases keeping the clubs solvent. Usurped by a club which had gates in the low hundreds a few years back, yet can now pay annual salaries of £250,000 to their players.

Wrexham, Hartlepool, Chesterfield, York, Stockport, Torquay, Hereford, Chester, Darlington... in an ideal world, I would have any one of those clubs back in the League over a hateful tin-pot folly like Salford. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salford City just feels manufactured. The badge has changed and the club’s colours have changed from orange and black to red, it surprises me that they’ve not changed the club’s name to Salford United,  given the connection between the word City and Manchester. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Read somewhere they lose £32,000 a week. That's a £1.6m loss per year.

I'm guessing wages are the issue there? Can't have been cheap to sign that Rooney guy from Aberdeen. 

Promotion to EFL surely covers those costs though? I imagine they'll be on TV a few times whenever there's international weekends which will give them extra bit of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm guessing wages are the issue there? Can't have been cheap to sign that Rooney guy from Aberdeen. 

Promotion to EFL surely covers those costs though? I imagine they'll be on TV a few times whenever there's international weekends which will give them extra bit of money. 

Rooney’s allegedly on £4/5k a week if you believe reports. 

Promotion will probably keep them running at a loss, I imagine. Granted they’ll receive more money for being a Football League side but I fully expect them to add a handful of players on very good money for that level of Football. I can’t see them scrimping now they’re a Football League side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Rooney’s allegedly on £4/5k a week if you believe reports. 

Promotion will probably keep them running at a loss, I imagine. Granted they’ll receive more money for being a Football League side but I fully expect them to add a handful of players on very good money for that level of Football. I can’t see them scrimping now they’re a Football League side. 

Yep. Those wages for a non-league side are crazy.

Even if they did scrimp next season, the gap from non-League to League 2 isn't that much and they'll probably survive. It's getting promotion which can sometimes be a bit more difficult and then surviving in League One even more so. 

Can see them being a good option for investment in the future and the class of 92 lot who already have some investment in the club raking the money in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement