Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Ligue 1 Thread - 2019/20

Neymar once again socring the winning goal for PSG. So disrespected. The man is a beast of a player.

Was so obvious what was coming. Angers up to 2nd, some implosion from St Etienne. I've got a mate who follows St Etienne and he went to that xD

Marseille drew in the end.

St Etienne really are fucked up right now. Failing in Europa League, only just outside relegation spots in the league. What's going wrong there?

Lyon 🤦🏻‍♂️ heavily rotated lineup, drew 2-2 with Brest. No wins since the 16th August.

On 22/09/2019 at 22:23, Stan said:

St Etienne really are fucked up right now. Failing in Europa League, only just outside relegation spots in the league. What's going wrong there?

Jean-Louis Gasset, their coach last year, retired at the end of last season and was replaced by his number 2 Ghislain Printant. He's started terribly and probably won't keep the job much longer, especially since they just lost again at home against Metz.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Claude Puel is heading to St Etienne.

Will be intrigued to see how he does. Never known a manager split our fanbase like he did and to be honest that in itself was problematic.

After such a good start to the season (3-0 and 6-0 wins) under new boss Sylvinho, Lyon have now failed to win in seven games. Today's performance was probably their worst yet, as they lost at home against Nantes. The Brazilian coach's job is under threat already.

Juninho: "The president is very angry, he'll think tonight and make the necessary decision". 

Sylvinho is very isolated in the dressing room, neither the players nor the staff are speaking to him. The end is near.

It just never made sense. If Sylvinho goes, Juninho should too. He's let him sink. 

Monaco have been a complete disaster this season but they now find themselves on the same points as Lyon due to Lyon's terrible run.

I find it quite a shame what's happened with him because he is in theory our second best striker. He's better than Iheanacho for me and always has been. The problem is he's not particularly well liked by most of our players by all accounts and he simply didn't work with Vardy - not somebody who wanted to come here to play second fiddle either.

Honestly I think he was the right player at the wrong time.

Clever from Lyon fans. I like it. 

• Upvote 2

Saint-Étienne 1-0 Lyon

Another match where Lyon struggle to create chances. Sylvinho plays too defensively, and again left Jeff Reine-Adelaïde on the bench when he's one of the few players that can make things happen.

Claude Puel's first game in charge and he's beaten their biggest rivals and taken Saint-Étienne from bottom of the table to 13th (one place ahead of OL).

Surely their has to be a lot of people already displeased with Sylvinho's appointment. They haven't looked great all year, and the past month have looked absolutely clueless. 

I know it's early, but how long is his leash? 

Had good money on the St Etienne win. Never doubted Puel.

Slimani linking well with Ben Yedder for Monaco's opener. Good partnership being formed.

Monaco's defensive frailties still there though. Just let a youngster run through their defence to equalise.

Ben Yedder just scored another decent goal for Monaco.

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

@Eco @...Dan @Batard you going to watch PSG vs Marseille? Just about to kick-off...

Yeah I'm watching it. If only Germain put that chance away, maybe we'd have a game on our hands. PSG took the lead a few minutes later and they'll probably win comfortably from here.

1 minute ago, ...Dan said:

Yeah I'm watching it. If only Germain put that chance away, maybe we'd have a game on our hands. PSG took the lead a few minutes later and they'll probably win comfortably from here.

Agreed. It wasn't as difficult as it could have been either considering he had a clean shot at it.

And Icardi is just too hot to handle for Marseille.

Timing of his runs is perfect and he's strong in the air. 

4-0 after 44 minutes. This could get ugly. I might switch to Osasuna Valencia for the 2nd half, this match is over.

11 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

4-0 after 44 minutes. This could get ugly. I might switch to Osasuna Valencia for the 2nd half, this match is over.

I got bored after 3-0 xD 

On 27/10/2019 at 19:59, Stan said:

@Eco @...Dan @Batard you going to watch PSG vs Marseille? Just about to kick-off...

I don't watching us play at the best of times. Team has no fight or spirit 

Marseille are flying. How is this in any way funny?

We've shown quite uncharacteristic resilience since the drubbing in Paris. Last night for example, turning that around so late almost immediately after the Brest equaliser, 6 weeks ago that wouldn't have happened. I certainly feel it helps that there is so much choice in the final 3rd to be able to rotate, having an out and out winger on the right as well has helped stretch games. I'm not a massive fan of Sarr to be frank but he's better further forward than at fullback. January will be key because I'd like to see a more all round forward brought in, I wouldn't bet against Giroud signing on loan you know. 

I don't suppose anyone else is watching but Nimes have got 2 red cards against Lyon and losing 1-0. Their players are mad.