talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank Lampard Confirmed as Chelsea Boss

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Chelsea must have the biggest pool of young players bought from around the world anywhere in footballdom. If ever there was a time to prove a point, it's now! Or were they always just for speculative resales.

Chelsea is more famous for it but the Italian trio of Inter, Milan, Juve typicalky have more players loaned out.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

In usual circumstances I think this would've been a bit soon, but I can see why it's happened and I don't think he's made a mistake leaving Derby either as some have suggested.

Derby isn't exactly this pressure free, amazing job either. They scraped into the play-offs with a squad largely on loan (with a few from Chelsea funnily enough) and would likely face similar demands again this year, and it isn't easy. Chelsea's obviously volatile and always has been but Derby isn't exactly some big safety net.

Given their circumstances with the transfer ban, this was probably the best chance they will get to bed him in as a manager. It's the one year you can go to Chelsea and probably survive coming 6th. Lampard even more so given his links to the club.

It is no doubt a big gamble but no appointment is a guaranteed success and certainly not in their position. Given his track record with some of Chelsea's youngsters already it's just the right fit in my eyes even if it does feel a bit like an admittance that they won't achieve a great deal this year. I think it's the first year I can remember under Abramovich that Chelsea will probably win nothing and not kick up a big fuss over it.

I could be totally wrong. It does feel a bit like taking a step back this year to lay the foundations for the future though which is something they've been backed into doing. With that in mind it's the right move.

19 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Welcome aboard @btts, another Man United man aboard, I like Lampard also and I hope he does well seeing Chelsea have employed an English born legend than doing the usual thing and employ someone non-English, hats off to the Chelsea Russian Tsar who is changing his tactics, must be old age creeping in and he wants to be a Chelsea pensioner.     

I don't think we should underestimate the cut throat nature of the club, I suspect that this appointment has have a lot to do with our current situation. If it was not a bad enough position to try and hold on to anyway given the way the club operates we are running out of quality managers that might be tempted simply because there is no long term plan for anyone that steps into those shoes... add to that the transfer ban and the loss of Hazard and it's not too hard to work out why they have plumped for Lampard this time around... 

I love him as a player and a professional but let's be honest he is untried at this level.. not that it's the be all and end all because every manager that has come to Chelsea is untried for us ,what he is to the club though is a man that is prepared to fill a short term gap while they steady the ship and get through this rough patch...

For him this is a chance of a lifetime so he grabbed it with both hands and there is no doubting his love for the club and with that will come his 100% commitment and we can't ask for more than that, he knows how the club operate and will be able to use that massive pool of players we tend to ignore season after season and  my hope is that we see some more of that potential talent breaking through.. 

My longer term thoughts are that regardless of how well or bad he does across the next season or two that he will be culled the moment a more suitable candidate turns up so I won't be holding my breath for the long term, worse case scenario he could be gone within a year if they deem results are not forthcoming but let's not dwell on that too much... The truth is that no matter how successful any manager has been or how many trophies they have won they have all to a man been expendable and I don't see them giving him any extra love just because he is who he is... 

Going to be really interesting to see how it all pans out and I am getting that old buzz that I used to get with this appointment, not knowing where you might finish in the league but looking forward to the season kicking off.. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I love him as a player and a professional but let's be honest he is untried at this level..

But so was Roberto Di Matteo but he did win Chelsea the Champions League Cup, I just hope your Russian Tsar does not have his knife ready if Lamps has a bad first season with Chelsea and sticks the knife in.  

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

But so was Roberto Di Matteo but he did win Chelsea the Champions League Cup, I just hope your Russian Tsar does not have his knife ready if Lamps has a bad first season with Chelsea and sticks the knife in.  

As I said, so has every manager at that club...

Working at Chelsea brings it's own unique problems regardless of the previous background, Lampard doesn't have the broader experience that many others have had coming in and the job was still difficult for them under our management so that's why I have no expectations.. better more experienced managers than him have got the chop so lets not kid ourselves it's all for sentimental reasons... when the time comes, and it will, he will be gone like all those before him, he just needs to try and use the time to bolster his CV so hope he has a good season.. 

The elephant in his room will surely be when he will be sacked. I don't believe for one second the club all of a sudden cares about youth integration. 

We fucked up, so what should we do? Let's bring club legends back to the club to tone down the animosity towards the board members. 

Archived