talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wrestling

football forum

One thing I  noticed on the first rampage episode was jericho mentioned wwe. They have never actually mentioned it before directly. They've referred to it but not actually said it. Is it a copyright thing? Did jericho just forget?

20 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

38635D5B-7F07-4F8F-B1E4-8022471F29BF.jpeg

Thats why I think its important aew fans dont get to carrid away. Wwe can still sell out a 50 000 seat stadium where as rampage was an attendance record for aew I think. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Thats why I think its important aew fans dont get to carrid away. Wwe can still sell out a 50 000 seat stadium where as rampage was an attendance record for aew I think. 

AEWs not competition for WWE. Its an alternative that has the potential to be a great alternative. 

WWE seem to be taking an approach of we will do our own Sports Entertainment thing while Wrestling Company's can do there thing which is best for everybody.

@The Palace Fan  people have always talked about sting v the undertaker. I think it's fair to say after watching dynamite who is in better condition. Dont think the undertaker would get for a month after being put through a table 🤣

23 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

AEWs not competition for WWE. Its an alternative that has the potential to be a great alternative. 

WWE seem to be taking an approach of we will do our own Sports Entertainment thing while Wrestling Company's can do there thing which is best for everybody.

I was referring to those people who think aew will put wwe out of business. Even if aew were to get higher ratings wwe sells so much merchandise it wouldn't really matter. That is where they make a lot of money.  

6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I was referring to those people who think aew will put wwe out of business. Even if aew were to get higher ratings wwe sells so much merchandise it wouldn't really matter. That is where they make a lot of money.  

People don't seem to realise that WWE is a much bigger, global promotion when compared to any other promotion. AEW are a long way off bringing in the same amount of money.

• Upvote 1

On 27/08/2021 at 21:25, 6666 said:

People don't seem to realise that WWE is a much bigger, global promotion when compared to any other promotion. AEW are a long way off bringing in the same amount of money.

Wrestling is weird. I mean nxt is better than raw and smackdown yet they still bring in more money. Not to sure why? Kids watching, merchandise maybe? 

7 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Wrestling is weird. I mean nxt is better than raw and smackdown yet they still bring in more money. Not to sure why? Kids watching, merchandise maybe? 

Wrestling isn't about wrestling.

If people watched Wrestling for wrestling then old school NXT with UE, Gargano, Andrade, Ciampa, Ricochet and Alister Black would have been globally revered, NXT UK would actually have an audience and NJPW would be the largest company. 

Wrestling is just a vehicle for hammy drama. 

Take game of thrones for example. Plenty of women aged 18-35 watched game of thrones. Plenty of bros too. You think many of them started reading wheel of time, or watched the lord of the rings after it ended? No, the fantasy was just a vehicle for cocks, tits and drama. Wrestling is no different and that's why Alexa blisses possessed toy and fat Chris Jerichos hot tub segments will beat Ilia Dragunov vs Walter or Shingo Takagi vs Okada every time. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/08/2021 at 14:35, Gunnersauraus said:

On 27/08/2021 at 21:25, 6666 said:

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Wrestling isn't about wrestling.

If people watched Wrestling for wrestling then old school NXT with UE, Gargano, Andrade, Ciampa, Ricochet and Alister Black would have been globally revered, NXT UK would actually have an audience and NJPW would be the largest company. 

Wrestling is just a vehicle for hammy drama. 

Take game of thrones for example. Plenty of women aged 18-35 watched game of thrones. Plenty of bros too. You think many of them started reading wheel of time, or watched the lord of the rings after it ended? No, the fantasy was just a vehicle for cocks, tits and drama. Wrestling is no different and that's why Alexa blisses possessed toy and fat Chris Jerichos hot tub segments will beat Ilia Dragunov vs Walter or Shingo Takagi vs Okada every time. 

Yes to most of all this.

I'd liken WWE to McDonalds.

It's woven into culture as an individual entity.

Some people go as far back as Hulk Hogan. Others to Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart. More when it was The Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H. And The Undertakers never been away. Then there's the modern day which I guess has been Cena, Orton, the Shield.

I did find WWE some of the most captivating TV in the early 2000's. Maybe it was. Or maybe I was just the right age for it then.

Whenever I see any these days it feels like someone doing a bad HD parody of it. With less laughs. Less drama. Less rude suggestive side shenanigans.

But WWE will continue as a global super brand for quite some time I would guess. Will kids today be watching the sparkly, shiny HD WWE & thinking if only it was way back whenever? No. And I doubt many teens have gone back further than 2010's on the WWE Network. So the nostalgia for future parents will continue on into future generations when the kids of today decide to allow kids of their future to start following it, because they did themselves, or everyone at school is, etc.

WCW got seriously close to challenging WWE/WWF, but it was WWE's none American audience & income that helped it to win out. From what I've seen of AEW, it's not what the kids will be fascinated by. It is kind of dad's TV. Purists TV. The alternate seekers choice. etc.

• Upvote 1

The McDonald's analogy is great for explaining WWE's commercial success.

Do McDonald's do the best burgers? Not at all.

Are they the first brand you think of and are most successful? Absolutely.

AEW Dynamite could well beat Raw in the ratings by the end of the year which is an unthinkable and incredible achievement but I don't think Vince, Laurinitus, fat Khan or Bruce would care. They make so much money through various avenues they don't have to care about the weekly shows. It's all about the big moments to them.

@The Palace Fan what do you think of rampage so far? I think its decent. Not to long the right mix of developmental but with the main eventers as well. I've heard that wcw thunder was a massive part of why wcw went bankrupt so I was a bit worried but apparently they didn't have their main guys on it. I always knew that wouldn't happen with rampage as they have their main guys on dark so were always going to use them on rampage 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@The Palace Fan what do you think of rampage so far? I think its decent. Not to long the right mix of developmental but with the main eventers as well. I've heard that wcw thunder was a massive part of why wcw went bankrupt so I was a bit worried but apparently they didn't have their main guys on it. I always knew that wouldn't happen with rampage as they have their main guys on dark so were always going to use them on rampage 

Rampage is fine. An hour of Wrestling with three matches a week is an easy watch. 

Reading 'Nitro' by Guy Evans the reason why Thunder was a big money loser was that Ted Turner informed WCW he wanted a Thursday show on his smaller network and the money was going to come out of the WCW budget. Problem with WCW's budget was that it wasn't an independent budget so a lot of there profits from 1996 and 1997 went in to the Time Warner budget and was given to other company's under there umbrella. So WCW created a new show with no additional staff on a smaller network that was a loss maker from the start. AEW will not have the same issue as the funding for Rampage comes from Shahid Khan whose one of the very few people wealthy enough to purchase WWE. Any future issues will arise if Shahid Khan decides he no longer wants to financially support Tony Khan's venture. Which is essentially what happened with Dixie Carter and her parents in 2010 with TNA.

@The Palace Fan fite tv pay per views are now available on virgin media. This will surely help secure aew's long term future as not everyone is comfortable with streaming when it isnt on their tv and they have to pay. I personally cant justify spending £14 on a ppv but it is still great news. 

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@The Palace Fan fite tv pay per views are now available on virgin media. This will surely help secure aew's long term future as not everyone is comfortable with streaming when it isnt on their tv and they have to pay. I personally cant justify spending £14 on a ppv but it is still great news. 

I'll probably pay it to be honest. They only have 4 PPVs a year so it's good value.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'll probably pay it to be honest. They only have 4 PPVs a year so it's good value.

I suppose £56 a year isnt that much when I think about it. I might see if I can watch it for free and if not pay for it. Are you gonna stream it on your computer or tv? What tv company do you have?

@The Palace Fan do you ever watch dark? Its decent actually. An hour of just wrestling, hardly any story telling. Not the most dynamic but technically sound. I was surprised by the quality of the wrestlers from the independent circuit. Plus you could watch it one week and miss it the next and not have to worry about missing an important part of the story . You might like it. 

Edited by Guest

Booked all out for tonight. Was gonna wait and see if it's on YouTube but due to the time the repeats are on it would be hard to watch it if it's not. It could be aew's best ppv so far so dont want to miss it

Edited by Guest