talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manuel Gräfe / Referee Age Limit in Germany

So Manuel Gräfe is 47, and by current DFB age limit regulations, he has to stop refereeing after this season. Since many see him as the best German referee, there are a lot of pleas from players, coaches etc. that want the DFB to overthink the age limit so he can continue, including Freiburg's Günter and Hoffenheim's Baumann. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It's a stupid rule, in my opinion. If he passes the fitness test, then surely it shouldn't matter how old he is? Stupid bureaucracy. But I think Gräfe and DFB have a complicated relationship, anyway, so they're probably happy to get rid of him...

It's indeed a bit unusual to see such support from the players, but absolutely understandable. Gräfe and Aytekin are the best current Bundesliga referees, imo.

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Gräfe and Aytekin are the best current Bundesliga referees, imo.

If you would have said that 5-6 years ago, I would have laughed. But Aytekin really developed into one of the best. He's got a great way of talking to players too. 

I know I've posted this before. But this is a great watch:

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

If you would have said that 5-6 years ago, I would have laughed. But Aytekin really developed into one of the best. He's got a great way of talking to players too. 

I know I've posted this before. But this is a great watch:

Yep, he really got better with years. Think he's much more relaxed and chilled these days, but also well-balanced and controls the game very well without unnecessary stress.

• The title was changed to Manuel Gräfe / Referee Age Limit in Germany

Bummer.  I appreciate when he calls the match because you know it's going to be fair and correct.  Thought it was touching when David Abraham swapped shirts with him... goes to show how the players feel about him.

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He's suing the DFB for age discrimination. :o 

Hopefully, it will get the DFB to change their silly rules. Who is allowed to referee Bundesliga matches should be based on ability and not how old the person in question is. Why should Gräfe be prevented from refereeing when he is still more than capable of doing a great job?

Due to the Covid problem, Angela will change the rules as she normally does so Manuel could be OK!

For Tommy:  In the UK if things are Not to the liking of the Govt or ruling elite, they use Covid as an excuse to change rules/laws etc so that they can fit and do whatever they want which normally would not have been allowed - one rule for all of us  and another set for the ruling class.  Didn't think Angela was like that, but she is letting all sorts of people travel and stopping me from coming to see you!  Could be,  she - like us - doesn't like Boris!

OH AND BEFORE NUDGE SAYS SO - IT MAY BE THAT SHE JUST DOESN'T LIKE ME!!!!

21 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

but she is letting all sorts of people travel and stopping me from coming to see you!

That's because numbers in the UK are increasing, especially the delta variant? I don't think she has anything against you personally. :ph34r:

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's because numbers in the UK are increasing, especially the delta variant? I don't think she has anything against you personally. :ph34r:

But far fewer people are being hospitalised and dying...

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

But far fewer people are being hospitalised and dying...

Probably because a bigger part of your population is fully vaccinated. In Russia they're dying big time. Moscow even made the vaccination mandatory. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Probably because a bigger part of your population is fully vaccinated. In Russia they're dying big time. Moscow even made the vaccination mandatory. 

Not exactly. It's only mandatory for businesses to have 60% of service staff vaccinated within the next few weeks. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Not exactly. It's only mandatory for businesses to have 60% of service staff vaccinated within the next few weeks. 

See, I only read headlines. :ph34r:

What the headlines don't tell you is that we are testing lots and lots more now than earlier so obviously the positive results are well up - not really genuine statistics, just being used as it seems to fit what you want to say.  Spurious correlation still rules!

1 minute ago, SchalkeUK said:

What the headlines don't tell you is that we are testing lots and lots more now than earlier so obviously the positive results are well up - not really genuine statistics, just being used as it seems to fit what you want to say.  Spurious correlation still rules!

So if Canada get rid off their thermometers and they won't have a heat wave. 

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2021 at 21:40, nudge said:

It's indeed a bit unusual to see such support from the players, but absolutely understandable. Gräfe and Aytekin are the best current Bundesliga referees, imo.

Just noticed nudge's comment.  Lots of folk here have been impressed with the performances of the Doctor in the Euro games. They regard him a s a typical no nonsense, no panic German Official which is about the best compliment they can offer.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Just noticed nudge's comment.  Lots of folk here have been impressed with the performances of the Doctor in the Euro games. They regard him a s a typical no nonsense, no panic German Official which is about the best compliment they can offer.

Felix Brych, for real? Thought he was atrocious in Belgium vs Portugal. I personally don't like him in general, but at least he's better than Zwayer or Stieler, I guess... 

Great game last night - respect from all players except ratface Sterling.  Sorry we seem to disagree a lot recently, but I put that down to both being totally gutted by the relegation issues.  It could get better if we can both escape together this coming season.  I will be watching  your Zenit game after our 0-0 draw - event though we missed a penalty and could have won it.......:twothumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Huh? How come?

I was referring to the Doctor not the teams or score.  Other than Rahim trying his usual lying and cheating tactics, the game went without any problems despite it being important to both sides - control at its best.  The way the players and coaches interacted with Felix at the end was great to see!

Archived