talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 7 Matches - 2-3rd October, 2021

football forums

Decent result considering we have had a couple of defeats and needed to get a win... Lot's going on from what I was reading and will have to catch the game later.. Good to see Werner getting a goal, could have been two if it was not for the VAR incident.. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a tough one to call this Spurs vs Villa match.

The case for Spurs, Nuno is getting slightly unfairly hammered. Yes, they did lose at Arsenal last time. Badly. With some odd looking midfield tactics going on. But good sides react & bounce back next time out. If Spurs really are still a good team, if they really believe they should be close to Top 4, this should be an awful time to play them.

The case for Villa. The club has moved on from its own glory seeking star. It's all about the club at Villa. Not 1 man. They have at least equal numbers of potential match winning players as Spurs, even without injured Bailey. And will actually have game changers on the bench, perhaps for the 1st time in many years. Spurs are basically wearing their kits inside out, sizes all mixed up & someone forgot to even wash last week. And all because someone somewhere loves Harry Kane. If Villa are genuinely in the Europe chase.. they really shouldn't lose to this Spurs side, running on reputation & Son.

Honestly I feel everything from 4 or 5 goal wins either side & all results inbetween are entirely possible.

Suggestions of a fight back.

I honestly think Villa can be written off from the Europe spots if they can't find enough 2nd half.

Sounding to me like Spurs have tried to go for stability in midfield. While Villa not struggling for possession or set pieces, but just have strikers & centre midfielders in this formation. Buendia, El Ghazi & Traore on the bench. I would favour choosing Watkins or Ings rather than going with both.

The talk will probably be of Spurs back on track. And fair play to them. I won't begrudge Nuno some respite. But from my perspective & expectations, it's Villa being disappointing just as much If not more than Spurs performing like expected Spurs. If Villa were really likely to jostle for 5th to 7th, Spurs should have had to do way more to earn this. They've almost done it on auto pilot & no surprises Son. I can't help but feel Dean Smith was perhaps being too respectful lining up with wing backs, same as at Old Trafford. Spurs will probably get tougher games at Newcastle & West Ham in their next few matches. I love Dean Smith, how the club's gone from where it was to where it is.. but there's another step or 2.. 

Have you noticed how Spurs and Arsenal turned turtle in the first 6 matches? Spurs won their first three  by 1-0 and Arsenal were well beaten in their first three. Then Arsenal won their next two 1-0 and Spurs were heavily beaten which set it up for an Arsenal win in the 6th match. I thought 1-0 Arsenal but the trend of heavy defeats for Spurs followed. Now that period is over. Yes Bluewolf, I too knew Spurs would win when Arsenal drew but the Villa match isn't yet the match to set Spurs really going Reluctant Striker. That confidence will come I think at Newcastle. Today Spurs won by an own goal, not good, an opposition assist and not Spurs' good form. So, a two goal good form win in 2 weeks should be the match to see us going with confidence.

On 02/10/2021 at 17:46, Lucas said:

Watford were absolute gash. They offered nothing.

We dominated every department and should have been walking off 3 or 4-0, no complaints. The fact we weren't is a reflection on the lack of quality in our finishing, very disappointing in truth but when things aren't going for you, everything seems a struggle. 

But anyway, reflecting on the positives, its a big three points for us confidence wise and a win that hopefully get's us going.

How the fuck did you not get a penalty for the Dan James foul??? The standard has just got worse this season if that was at all possible.. You get nothing for that and we have a goal chalked off for something far less obvious that happened well before the goal was scored!! just ridiculous.. 

11 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

How the fuck did you not get a penalty for the Dan James foul??? The standard has just got worse this season if that was at all possible.. You get nothing for that and we have a goal chalked off for something far less obvious that happened well before the goal was scored!! just ridiculous.. 

I know, it was appalling that. There was no way the Watford defender could stop him as James was ahead of him.

In the interest of fairness, I would also say we arguably got away with a VAR call for the ball Meslier dropped into the net. It was given as a foul on Cooper but both were giving as good as they got.

It still doesn't make missing the penalty right though but some teams get them, some don't and we all know the one's that do :ph34r:

I didn't realise Leicester were so far down the league. @Stan are there fans asking for Rodgers to be sacked yet? For me it would be a stupid decision considering how far he has got you. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I didn't realise Leicester were so far down the league. @Stan are there fans asking for Rodgers to be sacked yet? For me it would be a stupid decision considering how far he has got you. 

Yes.

And yes I agree it would be stupid. But they're the kind of fans where if you ask 'well, who would we realistically get as a replacement?' they either struggle to come up with someone, or think of someone utterly stupid.

They're also the ones that would constantly get on that new manager's back the moment we stop winning games as if we're on FIFA amateur mode. 

Just now, Stan said:

Yes.

And yes I agree it would be stupid. But they're the kind of fans where if you ask 'well, who would we realistically get as a replacement?' they either struggle to come up with someone, or think of someone utterly stupid.

They're also the ones that would constantly get on that new manager's back the moment we stop winning games as if we're on FIFA amateur mode. 

No offence but I think Leicester would struggle to get a better coach than rodgers. I think everyone outside the current top 4 would. I'd be more than happy if he came to us. Fans like that should just support Watford 

• Administrator
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

No offence but I think Leicester would struggle to get a better coach than rodgers. I think everyone outside the current top 4 would. I'd be more than happy if he came to us. Fans like that should just support Watford 

Precisely. It's a bit of a blip and poor form but every single manager experiences that with their teams. It's how they recover that's the main thing. Luckily our owners are usually patient and afford that time to a manager, and Rodgers has definitely earned that time to turn things back around especially with qualifying for Europe 2 seasons in a row and winning the FA Cup. 

I think a certain section of our fanbase have become spoilt and entitled. Not the majority, thankfully, but some fans think they know better than the manager or the club. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Precisely. It's a bit of a blip and poor form but every single manager experiences that with their teams. It's how they recover that's the main thing. Luckily our owners are usually patient and afford that time to a manager, and Rodgers has definitely earned that time to turn things back around especially with qualifying for Europe 2 seasons in a row and winning the FA Cup. 

I think a certain section of our fanbase have become spoilt and entitled. Not the majority, thankfully, but some fans think they know better than the manager or the club. 

It's not just Leicester its everywhere. We have a very toxic arsenal fan on here. Some people want to sack the manager after one bad result. Or dont give them any time. It's like Nuno at spurs. It might take time. Sometimes the manager is the wrong man but it's very hard to tell straight away 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived