talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Qatar GP - 19-21st November 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Not extraordinary, but better than I thought it would be. Overtaking was a bit easier than expected, so there were quite a few nice battles in the midfield throughout the race. Max had a great start, but couldn't really match Hamilton's pace and was about 9 seconds behind for the biggest part of the race, so there was no real excitement in the front, and then the rest of the field were so far behind that the two of them could pit numerous times and get a cup of coffee. Three drivers got tyre punctures which added a bit of drama late in the race. Overall, a pretty decent one.

If Bottas didn't get a puncture, we could have had a Perez vs Bottas wingman battle for the latter part of the race.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Just a thought regarding the final race. If they're level points or Lewis is 1 behind. Max could take him out first turn and win the title lol. Wonder if that crosses his mind? 😀

I know it would cross my mind if I were in such situation... xD 

• Subscriber

The level of consistency from these two guys throughout the year has been outrageous. Look at all these 1st and 2nds:

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 20.22.36.png

Not a single other driver has more than one top two finish this season, even Bottas and Perez in the same cars. It just goes to show what an achievement it is from these two to be able to do it in their sleep, week in, week out. They've made very good drivers in the same equipment look bang average. The fact that neither team has managed to secure a 1-2 finish all year goes to show how closely matched the teams have been as well.

If you look at where Verstappen has finished below 2nd, you've got just one clear mistake from him really, that one coming in Italy. Silverstone was 50-50 between them (I'd say slightly more Lewis' fault but we've been there), then you've got the tyre failure in Azerbaijan and getting smashed into in Hungary.

Hamilton has had slightly more finishes outside the top two. One big mistake at Azerbaijan and a bad first run in Q3 at Monaco. Otherwise largely things outside of his control.

For me, it's certainly Hamilton's best title if he can get it done. The only other time he's really been run this close up to the last few rounds was 2008, and you can see the level of consistency was very different back then:

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 20.30.23.png

I think it's a real 50-50 call now. Mercedes are probably best-placed to be fastest in the last two races, although you never know what can happen and Red Bull did win in Abu Dhabi (on the old layout) last year in a season dominated by Mercedes. If Hamilton can win the last two races, which he probably will if they have the faster car, then he's done it. That said, Max just needs to finish ahead of him in one of the two remaining races, through a lucky safety car or just beating him off the line at the start and holding him off, and it should be enough to give him the gap.

• Administrator

Great post @RandoEFC. I think it just typifies why this season has been so exciting and close and thrilling at times. The tension and drama most races seemed to pull out has been what has pulled some fans back in to the sport. Including myself. Said before but this season has been streets ahead several previous seasons in terms of excitement and competition. I hope it continues in to future seasons.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived