talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2021/22 Premier League - Race For Europe

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If the results go as they should on paper this weekend, (Arsenal win, Spurs loss) 5pts would be a big gap for Spurs to turn around with three games left.

Spurs would almost certainly have to win the NLD to keep it alive with two games to go.

Not for yourself, but for the neutral it's great when it goes to the final day and there's a game that has consequences at both ends of the table. And that could happen with the Arsenal/Everton game. 

I fancy you guys to beat Chelsea though. With the FA Cup final only a few days later, and with that being Chelsea's only chance of having any kind of success this season, I can perhaps see their focus elsewhere when they meet you. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Stan said:

Not for yourself, but for the neutral it's great when it goes to the final day and there's a game that has consequences at both ends of the table. And that could happen with the Arsenal/Everton game. 

I fancy you guys to beat Chelsea though. With the FA Cup final only a few days later, and with that being Chelsea's only chance of having any kind of success this season, I can perhaps see their focus elsewhere when they meet you. 

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah with the short turnaround you'd expect Chelsea to be heavily rotated against Leeds and it will be a great opportunity for Leeds to get out this mess.

We can only hope lads.

• Subscriber

It's funny to me how little credit Bruno Lage has got for Wolves' season. I know they have some good players but coming in to take over a side that struggled last season and getting them into that top eight again is really impressive. Not necessarily manager of the year stuff but you barely even hear his name mentioned. I don't think I could have named him as their manager until we played them in October/November-ish.

As for the race for Europe, I'm hoping Arsenal have a top four spot wrapped up before the last day so they have nothing to play for when we go there, just in case it makes a difference. Having to look at the rest of the league through this lens though really is disgusting.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's funny to me how little credit Bruno Lage has got for Wolves' season. I know they have some good players but coming in to take over a side that struggled last season and getting them into that top eight again is really impressive. Not necessarily manager of the year stuff but you barely even hear his name mentioned. I don't think I could have named him as their manager until we played them in October/November-ish.

As for the race for Europe, I'm hoping Arsenal have a top four spot wrapped up before the last day so they have nothing to play for when we go there, just in case it makes a difference. Having to look at the rest of the league through this lens though really is disgusting.

I think he was probably getting a bit more credit for Wolves' season up until a month or so ago. 7 defeats in the last 10 hasn't helped.

58 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think he was probably getting a bit more credit for Wolves' season up until a month or so ago. 7 defeats in the last 10 hasn't helped.

Yeah, since he criticised how a couple of the younger players had been training they've seemingly capitulated. There's rumours of a rift between Jimenez and Johnny now too.

It feels like they were over achieving earlier in the season and we're now seeing a correction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The race to finish in the top 4 takes another expected turn following last night's convincing Spurs win over Arsenal. The Gunners themselves just need to match Tottenham's results to secure it. Easy, right...?

Chelsea only need 1 more win from their remaining 2 to remain in top 4. Man Utd are guaranteed Europa Conference League as a minimum.

It's then between West Ham & Wolves to round out the final places for European football. A lot has to go in Wolves' favour to turn around 5 points over West Ham with only 2 games remaining, and their form doesn't make for good reading...

image.png

Next Games:
Tottenham vs Burnley
West Ham vs Man City
Wolves vs Norwich
Newcastle vs Arsenal
Chelsea 
vs Leicester3 

So much could be decided on the last match of the season. Who wins the title, who gets 4th spot.(Are Chelsea safe?) Who gets relegated. Interesting how Chelsea and Spurs play the two relegated teams last match of the season. Still to be decided who gets Europa and Conference. I've never known it so tight. Arsenal have had 33 wins against 11 head to head with Newcastle since the PL started so does that make them favourites?

Spurs still aren't there yet even though I think they'll scrape a 0-1 win against Norwich. Suppose Chelsea lose their last two and Spurs and Arsenal win? Chelsea are fifth. Interesting last week coming and it won't be decided whatever Arsenal do tomorrow evening.

• Administrator

So it's now down to 4 teams in the final matches - all 4 have qualified for Europe, but the competitions they are to play in still are to be decided. Chelsea confirmed CL football and a likely 3rd-place finish. 

image.png

Next matches:
Norwich vs Tottenham
Arsenal 
vs Everton
Crystal Palace vs Man Utd
Brighton vs West Ham

Tottenham just need to beat Norwich to finish top 4 ahead of north London rivals, Arsenal. A draw will be enough too unless Arsenal go on a goal-scoring rampage over Everton.

Arsenal need to win and hope Spurs lose in order to get top 4.

Man Utd can win and secure EL football. A draw is only enough if West Ham don't win. 

West Ham must win to get Europa League football, and hope Man Utd draw or lose. If they win and Man Utd lose, the latter will play in the Europa Conference League.

Archived