talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nathan Ake - Chelsea Agree Terms With Defender

football forum

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

that is why you cap salaries and have independent arbitrators determine value.   it will stop bigger teams being milked and inflating the market value, thus helping smaller teams also pay less or get more per pound value.

the payroll limits in MLB means clubs can't spend beyond market size or face roster crunches.   controlled players under club control have payrol control but the arbitrators may decide that the performance of the prospect demands more than league minimum which is why the club and player normally settle out of arbitration.

the way money is spent in football is out of control and teams at the bottom are being hit harder than ever.

I think in the MLB there’s just a fine for going over the salary cap so the rich teams don’t really give a shit about it 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do arbitrators “objectively” value players too. What a player is worth to one side can be greater or less than what they’d be worth to another side.

How are these arbitrators supposed to know how a player fits in at a different system? Or account for management changes?

There’s no “fair” way to value a player.

I do think it’s funny Newcastle fans are now looking out for Mr. Bone Saw’s wallet though, but I assure you - he doesn’t need the help xD

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Really don't understand the fascination with Ake but Tuchel wants him so he's accountable if he turns to be a great signing or a bad one. 

I think his potential signing might have been more about going for other options due to our primary targets looking elsewhere which is what concerns me a bit.. He is not an upgrade on anyone we have just someone to fill a gap due to our shortages.. I think Tuchel didn't want to risk being short of cover.. 

37 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think his potential signing might have been more about going for other options due to our primary targets looking elsewhere which is what concerns me a bit.. He is not an upgrade on anyone we have just someone to fill a gap due to our shortages.. I think Tuchel didn't want to risk being short of cover.. 

Not so sure. It was always De Ligt + Ake as Tuchel's priorities. Ake makes sense if he wants someone to play LCB and LB. Kill two birds with one stone but I question the level Ake can perform at in both positions. 

Worst comes to worse, we will just find ourselves in a similar position where the gap between our 1st choice LB and 2nd choice is massive. 

The Athletic reporting we've dropped our interest as we cannot agree a fee. 

🚨 Nathan Ake staying at Manchester City. Chelsea showed a strong interest but #MCFC would only sell if valuation met. That hasn’t happened & mutual decision taken for 27yo Dutch defender to remain & play key part in Pep Guardiola plans @TheAthleticUK #CFC https://t.co/Ehz9VbBNpg

— David Ornstein (@David_Ornstein) July 15, 2022

Archived