talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nathan Ake - Chelsea Agree Terms With Defender

football forum

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He isn't terrible, but for the price it's a head scratcher. On the bright side, it'll give Colwill an easier chance to break through vs signing Koulibaly or Kimpembe for the LCB spot. We'll get to see less of Sarr too. 

Only one person to point at if this goes tits up. 

• The title was changed to Nathan Ake - Chelsea Agree Terms With Defender
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whilst everybody likes a decent left footed center back, Man City flipping him for a profit is brilliant business.

It's not really that much of a profit all things considered. Doubt it is when fees and salary is accounted for.

I am so glad we walked away from the Ake interest a few weeks ago,  City wanted 50m for a guy that has spent a few seasons on the bench,  he is sold for like double what he cost which is absolutely mental and Chelsea have allowed the extortion to continue.    It is high time for a world football arbitration board to objectively decide player values.    

If Chelsea do get Ake it will seem bizarre, he is injury prone and has never really established himself.

He does have some versatility playing LB as well as LCB yet I can only see him being bought as cover rather than a first team starter. 

2 hours ago, Waylander said:

If Chelsea do get Ake it will seem bizarre, he is injury prone and has never really established himself.

He does have some versatility playing LB as well as LCB yet I can only see him being bought as cover rather than a first team starter. 

You wont be spending this kind of money for cover, he will be a starter. plus that's why he's leaving us, he wants to play everweek in a world cup year and would of been given assurances before agreeing terms, trading our bench for yours makes no sense 

3 hours ago, Waylander said:

Think it will be Kounde & Chalobah for RCB (James for emergencies.)

One of Skriniar/De Ligt/Koulibaly & Silva for CB

Ake & Colwill for LCB. 

De Ligt is the priority but I like how Skriniar can play anywhere in the back 3. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Ake & Colwill for LCB. 

De Ligt is the priority but I like how Skriniar can play anywhere in the back 3. 

I don't see you getting Kounde and Skriniar,  both are 60m if not more,  and you are linked to Frenkie and Raphinia,  I don't see you blowing the money needed.   De Ligt for around 40 and Ake probably all you will get.   Koulibaly for cheaper as he is 31 or 32 now. 

41 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I don't see you getting Kounde and Skriniar,  both are 60m if not more,  and you are linked to Frenkie and Raphinia,  I don't see you blowing the money needed.   De Ligt for around 40 and Ake probably all you will get.   Koulibaly for cheaper as he is 31 or 32 now. 

Aye I only see us getting two CBs tbh despite Matt Law suggesting we want three. 

Too much guess work atm. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Ake & Colwill for LCB. 

I'm not optimistic we are getting any decent foreign defenders, there has been plenty of speculation and then it just dies. Of course there is still time. 

2 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

We might get Ake yet doubt any of the others unfortunately. Think everyone is asking too much or the players do not want to come and our new owners perhaps due to Lukaku's situation are reluctant to spend over the odds.

8 minutes ago, Waylander said:

We might get Ake yet doubt any of the others unfortunately. Think everyone is asking too much or the players do not want to come and our new owners perhaps due to Lukaku's situation are reluctant to spend over the odds.

Still got time to get players over the line no matter how frustrating the situation seems at the moment.

What I am going to find interesting is how many of these players we are linked with may eventually come or even turn us down for other clubs.. This is a crucial time for Boehly as he knows all eyes are on him and people will be watching and no doubt judging how he goes about business and given he has cleared ship of all those normally dealing with such matters it will be a test for him.. 

We will just have to wait and see what happens and who arrives.. Unlike Abramovich he may be willing to play the long game rather than the instant success formula previously in place.. So much we don't know about him yet or his vision and commitment to the cause but we will find out over the next couple of seasons for sure... As I said before I don't mind a slow build if we are getting the right players in to keep us growing and being competitive but don't know if he might be the type of bloke who thinks a big name signing like 'Neymar' or Ronaldo' will win fans over in the short term... 

It looks like we have Sterling and I think he will be good for us despite some doom and gloom in some quarters.. the rest remains to be seen.. 

Just now, Bluewolf said:

Still got time to get players over the line no matter how frustrating the situation seems at the moment.

What I am going to find interesting is how many of these players we are linked with may eventually come or even turn us down for other clubs.. This is a crucial time for Boehly as he knows all eyes are on him and people will be watching and no doubt judging how he goes about business and given he has cleared ship of all those normally dealing with such matters it will be a test for him.. 

We will just have to wait and see what happens and who arrives.. Unlike Abramovich he may be willing to play the long game rather than the instant success formula previously in place.. So much we don't know about him yet or his vision and commitment to the cause but we will find out over the next couple of seasons for sure... As I said before I don't mind a slow build if we are getting the right players in to keep us growing and being competitive but don't know if he might be the type of bloke who thinks a big name signing like 'Neymar' or Ronaldo' will win fans over in the short term... 

It looks like we have Sterling and I think he will be good for us despite some doom and gloom in some quarters.. the rest remains to be seen.. 

I think Sterling will do well us for too, two concerns for me.

One is waiting too long to sign players the other is whether the global financial situation after Ukraine has his this private equity group hard, I hope not yet this dilly dallying is getting a bit concerning for me. Granted we still have time yet only so much quality is available. 

9 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Granted we still have time yet only so much quality is available

Agreed, I would worry more that if we didn't get the players we wanted then we might be forced into going for our second or even third choices which would pretty much leave us where we are at the moment and having players that didn't improve us only sustained the current levels.. Even more so if we couldn't get who we wanted would he then consider a big name signing to cover the cracks so to speak.. 

On 09/07/2022 at 01:31, OrangeKhrush said:

It is high time for a world football arbitration board to objectively decide player values.    

xD that's mental and would absolutely fuck over selling clubs, which is pretty dangerous in this day and age of oil clubs because most clubs are going to have to rely on demanding crazy fees for players they buy in order to even attempt to keep up with them.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

xD that's mental and would absolutely fuck over selling clubs, which is pretty dangerous in this day and age of oil clubs because most clubs are going to have to rely on demanding crazy fees for players they buy in order to even attempt to keep up with them.

It's not surprising that now Newcastle have money their fans want transfer caps enforced. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Actually it works the other way around,  in the age of high prize money for even the last placed team and sponsorships it would mean small clubs can sign better quality players because the margins between big clubs and small clubs will narrow.   It will reduce inflated prices because teams will stop using players as capital to inflate the market with high demands that are unrealistic and solely for business.   

it will reduce overheads across all clubs and narrow the gap from bottom teams to top teams. 

21 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Actually it works the other way around,  in the age of high prize money for even the last placed team and sponsorships it would mean small clubs can sign better quality players because the margins between big clubs and small clubs will narrow.   It will reduce inflated prices because teams will stop using players as capital to inflate the market with high demands that are unrealistic and solely for business.   

it will reduce overheads across all clubs and narrow the gap from bottom teams to top teams. 

The rich clubs will use the savings to pay even more insane wages than they currently do and the smaller clubs won't have any way to keep up with them. UEFA and the big clubs are never going to do anything that actually increases parity in football, so there will never be a salary cap.

This would just serve to reduce overhead for big clubs and make less wealthy clubs powerless when other clubs come for their players - no more putting a "fuck off" price on players. And the players will always want to go to where the wages can be the biggest, so the issue of want away players for smaller sides will be even bigger.

Maybe if all clubs in Europe were fan owned a scenario like that could work out. But they aren't, so it's not realistically going to do anything except hand the already wealthy a massive advantage.

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The rich clubs will use the savings to pay even more insane wages than they currently do and the smaller clubs won't have any way to keep up with them. UEFA and the big clubs are never going to do anything that actually increases parity in football, so there will never be a salary cap.

This would just serve to reduce overhead for big clubs and make less wealthy clubs powerless when other clubs come for their players - no more putting a "fuck off" price on players. And the players will always want to go to where the wages can be the biggest, so the issue of want away players for smaller sides will be even bigger.

Maybe if all clubs in Europe were fan owned a scenario like that could work out. But they aren't, so it's not realistically going to do anything except hand the already wealthy a massive advantage.

that is why you cap salaries and have independent arbitrators determine value.   it will stop bigger teams being milked and inflating the market value, thus helping smaller teams also pay less or get more per pound value.

the payroll limits in MLB means clubs can't spend beyond market size or face roster crunches.   controlled players under club control have payrol control but the arbitrators may decide that the performance of the prospect demands more than league minimum which is why the club and player normally settle out of arbitration.

the way money is spent in football is out of control and teams at the bottom are being hit harder than ever.

Archived