1. 1. Do you like Christmas?

• I LOVE it!
    • I like it!
    • I'm indifferent
    • I don't like it!
    • I hate it!
    • I don't celebrate it at all

On 16/12/2022 at 20:39, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I have almost no family, so the few days before Christmas are incredibly lonely, as all my friends are with their respective families. 

You’re invited to my house, you just have to drive 14 hours to the QLD bush

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
32 minutes ago, Danny said:

I like Christmas Day, Boxing Day ain’t bad. Christmas films can be good. Rest of it is stressful, presents, people in the streets, weirdos singing carols and smiling at you. 

I love all the comedy Christmas specials, or panel show specials at this time of year. 

And Big Fat Quiz of the Year too. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I love all the comedy Christmas specials, or panel show specials at this time of year. 

Yeah this is a good point. Great time of year for entertainment on the tele

42 minutes ago, Stan said:

Does the UK have a local production quota for TV? I’m just asking because Australia does and that’s why Australia produces so much reality TV because it’s cheap investment to meet the quota. I’m just wondering if panel shows are the equivalent of meeting the quota at low production price in the UK

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Does the UK have a local production quota for TV? I’m just asking because Australia does and that’s why Australia produces so much reality TV because it’s cheap investment to meet the quota. I’m just wondering if panel shows are the equivalent of meeting the quota at low production price in the UK

Not sure if we have a local production quota but we do have a rich history of producing shows be it panel shows or sitcoms for example, so I don’t think we’d need one. Channels like the BBC and Channel 4 especially are always making sitcoms and dramas, then you have a channel like Dave who have really amped up the panel shows and chat shows they produce from the UK.

I feel like the issue in Australia is that you import so much TV from the US and the UK that you then need a local quota to stop that from leaving your own tv industry neglected. In the UK we do import American television, but not as much as other countries. You could never watch Saturday Night Live in the UK until upto a couple years ago, you can only watch Chappelle Show now it’s on Netflix. We did have a lot of American shows, but the bulk of them were generally the shows they make you take when you strike a deal to show Friends, Fraiser, Everyone Loves Raymond, etc.

18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not sure if we have a local production quota but we do have a rich history of producing shows be it panel shows or sitcoms for example, so I don’t think we’d need one. Channels like the BBC and Channel 4 especially are always making sitcoms and dramas, then you have a channel like Dave who have really amped up the panel shows and chat shows they produce from the UK.

I feel like the issue in Australia is that you import so much TV from the US and the UK that you then need a local quota to stop that from leaving your own tv industry neglected. In the UK we do import American television, but not as much as other countries. You could never watch Saturday Night Live in the UK until upto a couple years ago, you can only watch Chappelle Show now it’s on Netflix. We did have a lot of American shows, but the bulk of them were generally the shows they make you take when you strike a deal to show Friends, Fraiser, Everyone Loves Raymond, etc.

Rich history? If the UK’s is rich so is Australia’s. There have been five sitcoms worth rewatching in fifty years and every panel show is exactly the same and QI was the only good one when Fry was hosting.

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Rich history? If the UK’s is rich so is Australia’s. There have been five sitcoms worth rewatching in fifty years and every panel show is exactly the same and QI was the only good one when Fry was hosting.

Richer history.

Just now, Spike said:

For you perhaps

No it is just a fact that the UK comedy industry is bigger than Australia’s, has more money, has a bigger access to audiences, has a larger pool of talent, is able to produce a larger number of shows, is better at being able to attract talent from countries like Australia and New Zealand because of what I said above. Hence richer. Your comedy preferences don’t change that.

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

No it is just a fact that the UK comedy industry is bigger than Australia’s, has more money, has a bigger access to audiences, has a larger pool of talent, is able to produce a larger number of shows, is better at being able to attract talent from countries like Australia and New Zealand because of what I said above. Hence richer. Your comedy preferences don’t change that.

My comedy preferences do change the channel though and the Mighty Boosh ended 15 years ago

1 minute ago, Danny said:

no stick mate you was talking in riddles lol

I am poetic, it can’t be helped

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Mighty Boosh was fantastic. Went up a level if you watch it off your face. 

I feel like it was more of a step sideways into a different part of the universe 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I am poetic, it can’t be helped

I feel like it was more of a step sideways into a different part of the universe 

Can’t say I ever got into the mighty boosh, did enjoy watching peep show when I was hammered though

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

Peep show had it’s moments but it annoyed me more than made me laugh

which was why i watched it mostly when drunk, felt it was too accurate a lifestyle to watch completely sober. bit like black mirror

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh it shows, Danny boy :ph34r:

I’m not a crackhead sorry xD

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

which was why i watched it mostly when drunk, felt it was too accurate a lifestyle to watch completely sober. bit like black mirror

I’m not a crackhead sorry xD

red dwarf and black books are the two i always rewatch

Archived