• I'm indifferent
    • I don't like it!
    • I hate it!
    • I don't celebrate it at all

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I prefer my birthday more. But yes, I like it. 

I've noticed recently it's more about being together than getting copious amounts of presents. Now we just do a secret santa for Xmas instead of loads and loads for each person. And it's more about spending time with each other - drinking, eating, games, Xmas films and music. 

• Subscriber

I can take it or leave it really, it's more or less looking at the grandson's faces (when they were wee nippers) opening up their presents and the excitement flashes me back to when I was a kid and opening up the few presents I got.

It will hit our bank account though as Christmas presents are not cheap nowadays but who cares, it's once a year plus I will get a chance to sup some wine!! :P xD

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

I've noticed recently it's more about being together than getting copious amounts of presents. Now we just do a secret santa for Xmas instead of loads and loads for each person. And it's more about spending time with each other - drinking, eating, games, Xmas films and music. 

That, is spot on, we will get invaded by our son & daughter with grandsons in tow and this year we are having Christmas dinner around our daughters, and the wife's big sis is calling too so It will be a nice family gathering.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Stan said:

I will add, we get stuff for the kids. They get spoilt. 

• Subscriber

It's this time of the year too when the wife will start making her cakes, jam tarts, apple pies, egg flanges, etc, Liz is already preparing the list for the baking ingredients, the cooking bit at Christmas time is the wife's specialty as she is a good cook and the kitchen is a no go area when she is cooking otherwise I would get a kick in the nuts trying to pinch some cooked cakes.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

It's this time of the year too when the wife will start making her cakes, jam tarts, apple pies, egg flanges, etc, Liz is already preparing the list for the baking ingredients, the cooking bit at Christmas time is the wife's specialty as she is a good cook and the kitchen is a no go area when she is cooking otherwise I would get a kick in the nuts trying to pinch some cooked cakes.

Your wife kicks you in the nuts a lot. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I have almost no family, so the few days before Christmas are incredibly lonely, as all my friends are with their respective families. 

That sucks.  My father-in-law used to live by himself several hours away from us and never did anything for Christmas.  After some health issues my wife and I agreed that he needed to move closer to us and his whole outlook on the holidays completely changed.  Being around his grandkids made all the difference.

He passed away this summer and I know the wife is going to break down now without her dad around on Christmas morning.

• Subscriber

I can honestly take it or leave it. The last few years it's not felt the same really. As Stan said, it's a lot more about seeing loved ones now more than the presents side of things as I'm at that age where if I want something, I just buy it for myself anyway.

• Subscriber

I like it, but it also makes me a bit sad sometimes. Still, I think it's a brilliant concept of a holiday, and what's not to like about a few days off, festive vibes, and good food and drinks?... 

Endless Christmas tunes do my head in, though xD 

Personally I like it. I like when the whole city is decorated with Christmas lights. The Christmas markets. The corny ads on TV. Some Christmas music to some degree. And yes, I'm not religious at all, so I just see it as a family get together thing. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Personally I like it. I like when the whole city is decorated with Christmas lights. The Christmas markets. The corny ads on TV. Some Christmas music to some degree. And yes, I'm not religious at all, so I just see it as a family get together thing. 

I think it made a transformation from a religious festival to a cultural one a long time ago, and I love that. For me, it's about people coming together, having a good time, appreciating their family & friends, and other human beings in general. Essentially, regardless how lame it sounds, it sends a message of love, kindness and joy, and that transcends all religions and cultures. No wonder it resonates to so many people around the world. 

So pretty much like Life Day in Star Wars :ph34r:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I like it, but it also makes me a bit sad sometimes. Still, I think it's a brilliant concept of a holiday, and what's not to like about a few days off, festive vibes, and good food and drinks?... 

Endless Christmas tunes do my head in, though xD 

You should play Whamageddon if you don't already.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, nudge said:

Have just googled it. I see there are also alternative game versions such as ApoCareypse  xD 

I lost at Whamageddon yesterday. It's the further I've ever got. I was so proud. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I think it made a transformation from a religious festival to a cultural one a long time ago, and I love that. For me, it's about people coming together, having a good time, appreciating their family & friends, and other human beings in general. Essentially, regardless how lame it sounds, it sends a message of love, kindness and joy, and that transcends all religions and cultures. No wonder it resonates to so many people around the world. 

So pretty much like Life Day in Star Wars :ph34r:

This. 

I even have Muslim mates that celebrate it. (which I never understood why they didn't considering they too believe in Christ). 

3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

The couple next door go away 2 weeks before Christmas every year. They go abroard for between 4-6 weeks. For some reason they can't stand Christmas in the UK.

A lot of the guys I work with fly out and spend Christmas in rented villas in the Canaries. It's not for me personally but each to their own I suppose.

Where do they go?

3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

The couple next door go away 2 weeks before Christmas every year. They go abroard for between 4-6 weeks. For some reason they can't stand Christmas in the UK.

I mean if I had the time and the money I'd spent the winter somehwere where it's 20C+ too. xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I mean if I had the time and the money I'd spent the winter somehwere where it's 20C+ too. xD

Christmas is the only time when I actually want snow and cold weather xD 

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Christmas is the only time when I actually want snow and cold weather xD 

I mean yea, if it was proper snow, I'd happily take it for a week or two around Christmas. But all we usually get is the shitty muddy rainy snow. xD

Archived