talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham 1-1 Chelsea - Saturday 11th February, 2023

football forum

15 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Yes regardless of the team Potter inherited should have done better. Sacking Tuchel was always piss poor decision, and nothing against Potter but he doesn't look like a manager that can make it big. Hope i am wrong and i still wish him well.

Boehly and Vivell being at every game gives me the impression Potter is being thoroughly evaluated this second half of the season. See if he’s the man to take us forward next season when the stakes are truly high. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Boehly and Vivell being at every game gives me the impression Potter is being thoroughly evaluated this second half of the season. See if he’s the man to take us forward next season when the stakes are truly high. 

Didn't they say he was a long term appointment? It may be worth being patient. I mean we were terrible for the first few years under arteta 

15 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Didn't they say he was a long term appointment? It may be worth being patient. I mean we were terrible for the first few years under arteta 

I personally don’t believe the reports this season is a write off. If performances don’t improve from now until the end of the season, a decision will be made. 

Need to remember we need to finish top 4 next season onwards. If improvement isn’t seen after all this investment I think Potter will be sacked in May. 

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I get the impression with Chelsea a lot is wrong. I think perhaps potter would have done better of abramovich was there?? Does his style suit the players or will it take time. If you hire a manager with a different style then surely you have to give them time to get their own players in or what's the point?

Of course did i say sack him? It is my first impression of him, regardless of the results they were poor under the last days of TT as well.

4 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Not a surprising result really.

West Ham genuinely a bit unlucky to find themselves where they are.

Chelsea like that expensive, brand name pair of trainers.. that fit badly & rub you feet in odd places.

2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I think perhaps potter would have done better of abramovich was there??

I think it would be fair to say if Abramovich had still been there that 1. Potter would not have made the grade in the first place and 2. If he had been chosen to manage given the results we have been getting for the investment would have been gone some time ago... 

He needs until the end of the season at least to show he can find a way to get these players to play as a team and become more effective in the final third.. If that means writing off CL football for next season then so be it but if those steady improvements are not forthcoming then maybe it's going to be too big a job for his skillset like it was for Lampard... 

8 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Why are professional footballers so bad at free kicks? Most can’t even get it over a wall of just massively over hit any delivery into the box.

So the problem I found with shooting free kicks is that a very tiny variation in a shot fucks up everything. Another issue is that different keepers have different walls set up. I was brilliant at top right hand corner free kicks, but a five man wall, a really tall cunt, or a free kick with the keeper on the right and wall on the left would fuck me right up. However, the existence of players like Ward Prowse tells you it is achievable. 

As for delivering free kicks, it's really just a cross, and should be treated as such. If you're too straight and really need to loop the ball onto a dime, just run plays where you lay the ball off or pass it wide IMO. Too many teams try to hit a straight as fuck free kick over a wall and straight out or into the keepers arms. It's village. 

• The topic was unpinned

@Bluewolf apologies if I was rude. Sometimes I just wake up in an argumentative mood. 

In response to your points. I've watched it.

Referee's aren't allowed to ask var for assistance. The var has to alert them. Referee's have actually asked to be able to ask but they aren't currently allowed. So unless var tells him otherwise he has to stick with his original decision. They can't ask if they are unsure. 

The decision was terrible and it was a very bad decision by var. I would imagine the ref wasn't sure if it had hit his hand and probably thought var would correct it if it had. Which they really should of. It's a clear error and a very bad decision. But I don't think it's really the refs fault. I think he had every right to expect var to correct him if it was wrong. As for why var got it wrong. Well people make stupid mistakes sometimes even when they have time. I've read instructions wrong before even when I have time. 

Archived