talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ivan Toney - Moves to Al-Ahli

football forums

There is no chance Toney gets 100m in a market which is over saturated with striker links.

Solanke

Watkins

Isak

Ferguson

These are just the premier league targets thrown around.   I see 50m is a top out for Toney.  If we move Wilson and Almiron on Mbuemo interests me.

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Ivan Toney

- Talks a big game about moving onto bigger and better things while playing for Brentford.

- Lets Brentford down by getting himself banned for over half a season.

- Talks a big game about moving onto bigger and better things before he's even kicked a ball returning from said ban.

- Scores 4 in 5 on his return and then doesn't score a single goal from February to the end of the season.

- Seeks a "big" move at the completion of that season.

- Now appears he's heading to Saudi League.

Either LOL at him not getting any decent offers from European clubs or LOL at a decision to move to a high-paying retirement league without ever achieving anything of real note in Europe. That'll be his England career fizzling out as well. The guy was being touted as a £70m player before his ban.

It’s funny how things work out. If we were able to sell Toney last season we’d likely have made a lot more money on him.

I think regardless of the interviews he released which didn’t help his case, PSR issues have driven his price down and teams are reluctant to spend big on him due to the contract length.

It’s a shame he’s going out to retirement, I’m sure the money is life changing but he’s a top Premier League forward and could achieve a lot more even if he just stuck around and left on a free.

For us he’s been phenomenal and this is one transfer that ultimately we’ve got more out of having him than we would likely get out of selling him. His goals in the Championship sent us up, his goals in our first two seasons up were integral to our survival and he helped create an atmosphere where little old Brentford could play sides like Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd and bully them off the pitch. He definitely stayed around for too long, but his impact will be missed.

The fee is small but along with the Raya fee it helps cover the signings we’ve made and the increase in amortisation. Looking forward to seeing the new big man Igor Thiago when he returns from injury but for now I’m happy to see Wissa, Mbeumo, Schade, KLP and Carvalho battling it out.

• The title was changed to Ivan Toney - Moves to Al-Ahli