talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Leclerc has had a great year as far as rookies go but he's not ready to step into that Ferrari seat. He has too many bad races still which is fine for his first year but he needs to have more sustained runs of good races before he's ready for a top drive. Kimi will score more points for Ferrari and help Vettel in the Drivers Championship next year more than Leclerc in the same seat.

As for Kimi, I love the guy and this is an unpopular opinion but I'm sort of getting fed up of him in F1. He's the perfect number 2 for Ferrari in many ways but it's because he's so much more likeable than either Hamilton or Vettel that the constant disappointment of him not being able to compete for wins, sometimes through his own lack of pace and sometimes through Ferrari's tactics, has become tedious.

This last weekend was the most soul destroying of all but the feeling is familiar. Getting your hopes up at some point on Friday, Saturday, sometimes even Sunday, that Kimi could actually win this one only for it not to happen again. I would rather see him bow out so we can celebrate his career than have to go through another year of false hopes dashed.

As an aside, if Raikkonen doesn't win a race this year, it'll be the tenth year in a row where Ferrari have gone without both drivers getting at least one win. Massa and Raikkonen in 2008 were their last driver pairing to both win races in the same season, but Massa never won a race as Alonso's team mate despite driving a Ferrari for several years, and now the same goes for Kimi as Vettel's team mate. Admittedly until the last two years Ferrari haven't exactly had a title winning car but they have at least been competitive enough to win races in almost all of those ten years. It's quite a stat.

• Subscriber

Gonna have to watch this on a significant delay as I'm out for lunch. Got a feeling today's race could be a real cracker. Best thing for the championship would be a problem or contact for Hamilton at the start. Could happen with Verstappen starting alongside him. Max is the type who know Hamilton has a title to fight for and will just throw one down the inside and offer Lewis the back off or crash option.

It was this race last year that swung the title to Mercedes after Verstappen and both Ferraris got tangled up off the line. Could it be the opposite this time?