talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

So did you hear about the Mika Salo leaked news? Apparently Ferrari had to turn their engine down last season as a punishment for cheating in 2019. 

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-punished-cheating-scandal/

Don't know if it's true (sounds a bit weird to me), but if it is, then it was thoroughly unfair to Sauber and Haas.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Deja-vu. 

I've been on the old F1 seasons watching streak (as you well know, haha), and didn't realise how similar to Carlos Reutemann he (Bottas) appears to be. Could be very good "on his day", but more often than not frustratingly indecisive, sloppy, and somewhat mentally fragile. 

This Nigel Roebuck quote describing Reutemann sounds eerily similar to Bottas too:

"Through the days before the race Carlos was relaxed, full of good humour. On the Sunday, when it mattered, he faded to nothing. As I watched that afternoon, I was embarrassed for him. Afterwards he mumbled about understeer on right-handers, and gearchange problems, but in all truth he drove like a man who had suddenly decided he did not want the World Championship."

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I've been on the old F1 seasons watching streak (as you well know, haha), and didn't realise how similar to Carlos Reutemann he (Bottas) appears to be. Could be very good "on his day", but more often than not frustratingly indecisive, sloppy, and somewhat mentally fragile. 

This Nigel Roebuck quote describing Reutemann sounds eerily similar to Bottas too:

"Through the days before the race Carlos was relaxed, full of good humour. On the Sunday, when it mattered, he faded to nothing. As I watched that afternoon, I was embarrassed for him. Afterwards he mumbled about understeer on right-handers, and gearchange problems, but in all truth he drove like a man who had suddenly decided he did not want the World Championship."

That's why I have HUGE respect for Nico Rosberg. He was surely less talented than Lewis. But in that 2016 season, he just threw everything at it. He even stopped cycling so he wouldn't gain additional muscle weight. He put EVERYTHING into winning that title, physically and mentally. That's why, in hindsight, I respect his decision to retire. First of all, he knew he probably can't repeat that, and secondly it must have taken a huge toll on his family/private life, because he was so dedicated in that year. Unless Bottas does something similar, which he won't, he will never beat Lewis. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Nico was actually brilliant on British Sky last season. Called people out on their bullshit etc. 

I know, just messing about xD

I'm a loyal ORF and Hausleitner/Wurz fan anyway :P

Excited about the new season, hoping Hamilton wins but following a challenge rather than a canter this year. Red Bull have always been fast with laughable reliability, and fighting with just one driver after the bants of Albon. I think that they could be a major challenge if they've sorted their issues out, especially as they now have both Max and Perez who can challenge. 

McLaren look to be back, flirted with podiums and now have a new diffuser and Mercedes engine under the hood, I expect them to be the 3rd best on the grid but without flirting with podiums, they challenge for wins. Ricciardo and Norris are two drivers that I think are genuinely capable of fighting at the front, so whereas they won't challenge for the WC will give Mercedes and the Bulls something to think about.

Ferrari I think will be poor again, just because I think they're still a circus behind the scenes but because of the above I think this season could be exciting. 

Hamilton to seal it on the last race would be the dream scenario, with the Red Bulls in the fight right to the end as opposed to just Bottas limping alongside. 

I wonder how the end of the season will pan out with the contract situations too, bit of an added layer when you consider Hamilton could be fighting for the title with no guarantees about his seat (again). 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I really hope this is the season where Max wins his first title. Would love it to be a close battle until the very last race, really miss the excitement of that. Other than that, midfield looks even better and potentially more competitive than it was last season, so hope for some juicy battles there too. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Tommy said:

‘I’m better’ than Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel and Raikkonen - Alonso

:34_rolling_eyes:

I understand why it comes across as arrogant, but to be fair, if you aren't confident enough and don't believe that you're better than your opponents, you don't belong in F1 or the top level of any sport, for that matter.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Strange how they've used photos of all the drivers when they were kids, yet taken a photo from today's qualifying for Yuki.

I straight up did not recognize Giovanazzi though, without his Jesus look.