talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

In all seriousness, if it's at Losail (which I assume it will be) then it's an absolutely gash circuit. They've been going there for the MotoGP for what must be 10 years now and most of the riders dislike it, the lights make seeing the apex difficult and there's just fuck all to it.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I've been dead inside to this sort of thing since the year the Bahrain GP went ahead behind closed doors during the civil war, and when they showed no footage of the Force India cars in qualifying (and vitally, their sponsors) because they "boycotted" one of the practice sessions for safety reasons after a team member got involved in some sort of incident outside the circuit, daring to allow the sport to be seen in a negative light.

You can't really blame the drivers. What are they to do about it? It isn't their job either. Starting any sort of movement to raise awareness is already more than they "have" to do and it's more than what was being done 5 years ago. Be grateful for the progress at least, no matter how small and belated it might be.

• Upvote 1

On 29/08/2021 at 10:24, Tommy said:

So according to Canal+, Kimi is going to announce his retirement at Monza, Russell will join Mercedes and Bottas is heading to Alfa Romeo. 

Is Gio certain for next year? 

How about Danny Ric? He's been a bit shit since leaving RB...

Tsunoda, MazeSPIN, and Latifi are all fine to go elsewhere. 

• Subscriber

Pretty sure Ricciardo has a contract at McLaren. Tsunoda probably gets another year. Giovinazzi is very meh and I can see Ferrari trying to get Ilott, Schwartzman or even Mick Schumacher into that seat instead. Williams probably only let Latifi go if they can get another driver to replace him who brings some money. Red Bull seem to have started sniffing around for a seat to get Albon back on the grid. I'd be surprised if he went back to Alpha Tauri in place of Tsunoda but he might be in the mix to partner Bottas at Alfa Romeo or one of the Williams seats. Hopefully Mazepin gets replaced by literally anyone but I don't think there will be a huge clamour for that seat so he'll probably end up staying.

Edited by RandoEFC

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Only theoretically in terms of the downforce though. In practice, without any tweaks and modifications, the engine will just starve and stop working because the fuel and oil pickup is gravity based.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Only theoretically in terms of the downforce though. In practice, without any tweaks and modifications, the engine will just starve and stop working because the fuel and oil pickup is gravity based.

This reminded me of our conversation of the Fischer Space Pen and being able to write in zero gravity and upside down. 

Regardless, the amount of downforce on these cars and the engineering of them in general, is such a marvel. I've gotten more and more into the actual mechanics of the cars and it really is an engineering beautiful. 

Still, the craziest things I've seen was Mercedes DAS system. I remember the Netflix show about it, and it had Horner and Toto talking about it, and the conversation went roughly like this..

Horner: "Yeah man, I'm just not sure it's legal."

Toto: "But it's cool, right?"

Honer smiles, "Yeah man, that is cool."

😆 

I might be off on how I remember it, but really just shows that it's just a bunch of engineers at heart who love and thrive on innovation.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

This reminded me of our conversation of the Fischer Space Pen and being able to write in zero gravity and upside down. 

Regardless, the amount of downforce on these cars and the engineering of them in general, is such a marvel. I've gotten more and more into the actual mechanics of the cars and it really is an engineering beautiful. 

Still, the craziest things I've seen was Mercedes DAS system. I remember the Netflix show about it, and it had Horner and Toto talking about it, and the conversation went roughly like this..

Horner: "Yeah man, I'm just not sure it's legal."

Toto: "But it's cool, right?"

Honer smiles, "Yeah man, that is cool."

😆 

I might be off on how I remember it, but really just shows that it's just a bunch of engineers at heart who love and thrive on innovation.

I love mechanics and engineering in general, and it's crazy what kind of solutions those brilliant racecar engineering minds come up with regularly to find that extra speed, performance and drivability. Absolutely amazing. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I love mechanics and engineering in general, and it's crazy what kind of solutions those brilliant racecar engineering minds come up with regularly to find that extra speed, performance and drivability. Absolutely amazing. 

Same. I think I much more enjoy the engineering behind F1 more than anything. 

One thing I have really loved about F1, are the slow motion shots where a driver hits the mating on a corner, and you can see all the vibrations through the frame to the fender, and see that energy disperse the way it does. 

Also, and I haven't seen this recently, but those practices where the cars would have a railing on them and paint would splash along the car to show the aerodynamics. 

It's all brilliant in its own way and I can't get enough of it. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Same. I think I much more enjoy the engineering behind F1 more than anything. 

One thing I have really loved about F1, are the slow motion shots where a driver hits the mating on a corner, and you can see all the vibrations through the frame to the fender, and see that energy disperse the way it does. 

Also, and I haven't seen this recently, but those practices where the cars would have a railing on them and paint would splash along the car to show the aerodynamics. 

It's all brilliant in its own way and I can't get enough of it. 

There are two brilliant magazines in circulation, one is called Racecar Engineering and the other one's  Race Tech Magazine - if you're into it and want to expand your horizons and learn more, I can highly recommend both. I've had digital subscription for years, some very insightful stuff there.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nudge said:

There are two brilliant magazines in circulation, one is called Racecar Engineering and Race Tech Magazine - if you're into it and want to expand your horizons and learn more, I can highly recommend both. I've had digital subscription for years, some very insightful stuff there.

I'll subscribe to both today. 

• Like 1