talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Formula One - General Chat

football forum

7 points.

I had the Williams one wrong as I knew it was around 20 but not which way.

Missed the Belgian GP so had no idea how many laps were competed.

Couldn't pick between Max and Valtteri for the sprint race question because I only remember 2 races and I seemed to recall them winning one each.

11 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

When does Drive to Survive come out? Because I know it's a crock of shit but I miss F1.

No official release date yet. I'd guess late February. 

Previous release dates:

• Season one – 8th March 2019
  • Season two – 28th February 2020
  • Season three – 19th March 2021

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

F1TV isn't licensed in the UK 😥. I have been watching some of the season reviews though.

Ah yes, now I remember you telling me this last off-season xD 

If you do torrents, there's a massive collection since 1978 on reddit... 

• Subscriber

Also @RondónEFC if you know some programming, there's a python package for accessing F1 historical timing data and telemetry (and a huge amount of other data) called FastF1: https://github.com/theOehrly/Fast-F1 I've been using it to run some data analysis from time to time, and I'm using it now for building a Machine Learning based F1 race prediction model for my AI & Machine Learning course. Alternatively, if you're a non-programmer, Ergast API offers similar historical data as online queries or as spreadsheet databases: http://ergast.com/mrd/ . Then there's also this website for using the same data to generate lap times and telemetry graphs for driver comparisons etc: https://www.f1-tempo.com/

It could keep you occupied for ages :D 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also @RondónEFC if you know some programming, there's a python package for accessing F1 historical timing data and telemetry (and a huge amount of other data) called FastF1: https://github.com/theOehrly/Fast-F1 I've been using it to run some data analysis from time to time, and I'm using it now for building a Machine Learning based F1 race prediction model for my AI & Machine Learning course. Alternatively, if you're a non-programmer, Ergast API offers similar historical data as online queries or as spreadsheet databases: http://ergast.com/mrd/ . Then there's also this website for using the same data to generate lap times and telemetry graphs for driver comparisons etc: https://www.f1-tempo.com/

It could keep you occupied for ages :D 

Nerrrrrrd. :ph34r:

But I love it and might genuinely check it out.

Maybe it's time for me to revisit my attempt to use a Czech VPN or whatever it is to access F1TV.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Nerrrrrrd. :ph34r:

But I love it and might genuinely check it out.

Maybe it's time for me to revisit my attempt to use a Czech VPN or whatever it is to access F1TV.

VPN alone won't help you much, I'm afraid, as they also do address verification on the card you're using for payment (so it nieeds to be registered in one of the countries where F1TV is available). There's a workaround though, I believe - if you use VPN on your phone and then sign up for F1TV via their app, using Google Pay or Apple Pay as a payment method... 

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Is that what me winning the prediction league has done to you? :ph34r:

Haha xD Nah, I simply like merging my hobbies with things I'm learning, as that gives me motivation to keep learning and progress faster. When I started with python two years ago, my course finishing project was writing a script that automatically calculated superlicense points for drivers in junior categories :D 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haha xD Nah, I simply like merging my hobbies with things I'm learning, as that gives me motivation to keep learning and progress faster. When I started with python two years ago, my course finishing project was writing a script that automatically calculated superlicense points for drivers in junior categories :D 

That's interesting and impressive! Now you gonna run away with the prediction league next season because of your "super computer". :ph34r: 

Nooo, nudgey, no, no. That is so not right. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

That's interesting and impressive! Now you gonna run away with the prediction league next season because of your "super computer". :ph34r: 

Nooo, nudgey, no, no. That is so not right. 

Trust me, it won't be finished in time for the new season xD Besides, training the algorithm on the historical data won't be of much use now with all the regulation changes... So I'll do just the rudimentary, primary predictive modeling this year so that I can find all the technical solutions and get it working in the first place, and then will put it to the test in 2023 season based on the data of 2022 season. After that, definitely world domination xD 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Trust me, it won't be finished in time for the new season xD Besides, training the algorithm on the historical data won't be of much use now with all the regulation changes... So I'll do just the rudimentary, primary predictive modeling this year so that I can find all the technical solutions and get it working in the first place, and then will put it to the test in 2023 season based on the data of 2022 season. After that, definitely world domination xD 

We need to come up with some regulations for the 2023 prediction league. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Spike said:

How much influence does the vehicle have in this sport? Are the huge discrepancies between vehicles or are they largely similar with minute details making the difference?

The car is the most important part of the sport, with the driver and team effort (setups, pit stops, race strategies, etc) making the difference when the gaps between cars are small.

F1 are not a spec series - all cars are designed around a specific set of technical regulations that might seem quite restrictive (engine displacement, car weight, aerodynamic parts, etc.), but in reality they still allow enough creative freedom for designers and engineers to play with, and every team pushes the limits of the regulations constantly to find something that gives them even a marginal advantage. Visually, the cars all look similar, but the actual differences are extreme enough that one team can't even copy another teams parts as it likely wouldn't work with their design.

• Upvote 1

The car is the most important part of the sport, with the driver and team effort (setups, pit stops, race strategies, etc) making the difference when the gaps between cars are small.

F1 are not a spec series - all cars are designed around a specific set of technical regulations that might seem quite restrictive (engine displacement, car weight, aerodynamic parts, etc.), but in reality they still allow enough creative freedom for designers and engineers to play with, and every team pushes the limits of the regulations constantly to find something that gives them even a marginal advantage. Visually, the cars all look similar, but the actual differences are extreme enough that one team can't even copy another teams parts as it likely wouldn't work with their design.

Then why do people put so much more glory on the drivers? 

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

Then why do people put so much more glory on the drivers? 

I'd say it's mostly because in situations where two or more cars are similar, the driver still makes THE difference, and it's extremely exciting to watch. Best drivers tend to push the car to the very limit when it's needed, and are able to shave off a few thousandths or hundredths per lap when it truly matters, even when it seems impossible. So while even the best driver wouldn't win titles without a very strong car, just the car isn't enough, either - you need someone to drive it flawlessly week in, week out, on different tracks under different weather conditions.

The other, even simpler reason is probably because the driver is the one who actually drives the car and that's what the fans see - they do not see the effort that is put into building, developing, repairing and upgrading the car, nor do they see hundreds of people behind it. I also believe the glorification of the drivers is strongly linked to racing conditions a few decades ago, when motorsport was extremely unsafe and by far more deadly, so racing drivers were seen as some sort of "gladiators" who braved death every weekend, and that image is branded into the psyche of the fans.

Also, some fans simply have little interest in technical aspects of the sport and just support a specific driver, for whatever reason... 

• Like 1

I'd say it's mostly because in situations where two or more cars are similar, the driver still makes THE difference, and it's extremely exciting to watch. Best drivers tend to push the car to the very limit when it's needed, and are able to shave off a few thousandths or hundredths per lap when it truly matters, even when it seems impossible. So while even the best driver wouldn't win titles without a very strong car, just the car isn't enough, either - you need someone to drive it flawlessly week in, week out, on different tracks under different weather conditions.

The other, even simpler reason is probably because the driver is the one who actually drives the car and that's what the fans see - they do not see the effort that is put into building, developing, repairing and upgrading the car, nor do they see hundreds of people behind it. I also believe the glorification of the drivers is strongly linked to racing conditions a few decades ago, when motorsport was extremely unsafe and by far more deadly, so racing drivers were seen as some sort of "gladiators" who braved death every weekend, and that image is branded into the psyche of the fans.

Also, some fans simply have little interest in technical aspects of the sport and just support a specific driver, for whatever reason... 

Very good post, thanks.  I don't get F1 as a spectator sport but I do appreciate it's technical aspects and high stakes.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spike said:

Do drivers ever do things like intentionally lose weight to reduce the car's load?

Back in the day, yes. The maximum weight used to be a lot more restricted, which even made it difficult for taller drivers to get a decent drive. 

Nico Rosberg also stopped cycling before the 2016 season, where he finally beat Lewis Hamilton, so he wouldn't gain too many leg muscles an additional weight. 

Now it's a bit more relaxed. But F1 drivers still need to be extremely physically fit, due to high G-Forces while still operating a racing car at 320ish km/h. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Back in the day, yes. The maximum weight used to be a lot more restricted, which even made it difficult for taller drivers to get a decent drive. 

Nico Rosberg also stopped cycling before the 2016 season, where he finally beat Lewis Hamilton, so he wouldn't gain too many leg muscles an additional weight. 

Now it's a bit more relaxed. But F1 drivers still need to be extremely physically fit, due to high G-Forces while still operating a racing car at 320ish km/h. 

How does someone even end up in as a driver? Is it a rich kid's sport?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

How does someone even end up in as a driver? Is it a rich kid's sport?

Unfortunately, in most cases yes. You either have a rich background, or you are so damn talented that someone sponsors you from an early age. There are still quite a few drivers on the grid from modest backgrounds. But unfortunately the rich kids are taking over more and more.