talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2023/24 - 15-17th September, 2023

football forum

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

His non-existent right foot doing wonders xD 

And Leeds score again. 

Second assist from James via a shit cross that got a touch to make it a good cross, taking the other Millwall defender out in the process and leaving Rutter with all the time in the world.

Dan James's shittery knows no limit. xD

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

That was a good test for us to pass today playing away at a club whose fans detest us and a ground we traditionally struggle at. Handled the situation pretty well and came away with an emphatic result.

It's definitely not perfect but you can see it starting to work. Rodon looks a warrior at CB, Ampadu is just class for this division in the centre and then we have a dangerous front four that can produce deadly counter attacks, but more importantly, possess quality.

Pay the money for a striker and you get the goals. That's Piroe and he's 3 in 3 now. Cannot stress enough what a difference it has been to have an actual recognised striker in this team.

• Subscriber

Been in Germany all weekend, only just got home. I watched our game but in a very pissed group so will have to properly watch it back. However, I have some of the receipts and can once again confirm that as ever we were #AHEADOFTHECURVE 

On 20/05/2023 at 05:44, Dan said:

On Southampton it sounds like they're appointing Russell Martin. Was linked to us and I'm glad he's going there and not here based on mainly anecdotes admittedly about Swansea. They seem to be an even more extreme version of us under Rodgers - tonnes of possession yet lack penetration and can't defend for shit. Not my cup of tea at all. He seems to be one of these managers rated for style over substance. Not for me. But will be intrigued to see how he gets on with a better squad.

On 14/08/2023 at 01:31, Dan said:

I didn't want Russell Martin when we were linked - do not get the clamour over him one bit. He finishes midtable year in, year out, his sides ship loads of goals. Strikes me as very much style over substance.

• Subscriber

The first serious test of our credentials at this level and we pass it with flying colours. We've got things to work on and we shouldn't assume we're the finished article but we showed we can still pack a real punch if you give us the space to attack like that cretin Martin was always going to. I genuinely think they won't make even the top 6 if he sees the season - which you increasingly wonder will actually happen. They've let in 5 to Sunderland, 4 to Leicester, 4 to Norwich and probably the worst of all, 3 to Gillingham who can't score goals in League Two. They are absolutely miles off it, and I've seen nothing from Martin's previous jobs to tell me that's going to change. I'm so glad they fell for it and not us. Really was so underwhelmed when we were linked.

Nice to see us finally get in the goals, we knocked Ipswich down a place despite them winning their game. We play some very good stuff at times. We're going to slap a few teams I think. Although I do sort of think it'll happen to us in a game as well - I'd not be remotely shocked if we got turned over at Norwich, which I said before the double header was the much harder of the two fixtures.

You can't really knock how we've started. I think a lot of our games have been tight affairs where we edged it on the superior quality but that on Friday was comprehensive. We really ought to have scored more than 4.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
17 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Has a team conceded sixteen goals in there first six matches before?

Russell Martin has never had a Plan B but you'd like to think he'd consider one now.

Sixteen in their first six AND letting in three to Gillingham, a notoriously low scoring League Two side.

It's seriously baffling stuff to watch. Some of the goals they concede are laughable, the 4th the other night was comical stuff. They're so bad in defensive transition you can barely believe they're a side considered to be outside the bottom three let alone one pushing for the automatics. I don't doubt that this is a particularly bad run, but I really think they've made an error appointing Martin. His post match presser is one of the most deluded ramblings I've heard in a while as well. How can you watch that, including us squander another two chances as simple as the goals we scored and try and do anything but admit it was a disaster?

He's really bad. I'm at complete odds with people who rate this bloke. It's so mystifying to me that it intrigues me.

13 hours ago, Lucas said:

It feels like Sheffield Wednesday could sack their manager at any minute. We pretty much all thought they'd struggle and even at this early stage they look absolute goners.

Sheffield Wednesday v Middlesbrough in the week feels very El Sackico. I'm inclined to say Boro will win. My best pre-season bet so far is backing Wednesday to drop - they are abysmal, they create absolutely nothing. They even lost to Russell Martin!!!