63. Sutton United
  64. AFC Wimbledon or Ramsgate

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Every year I get excited for this and every year I'm disappointed. 

I was thinking we'd get Stoke as well. It's who we had last time we were in the Championship.

Them, or Man City for a Pep/Enzo meeting. 

Wrexham to get drawn with Man Utd, then end up losing vs Yeovil would be great. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I was thinking we'd get Stoke as well. It's who we had last time we were in the Championship.

Them, or Man City for a Pep/Enzo meeting. 

Wrexham to get drawn with Man Utd, then end up losing vs Yeovil would be great. 

Us against Wrexham or Newport would be interesting, especially if we're away.

• Administrator

Luton vs Bolton
Shrewsbury vs Wrexham/Yeovil
Arsenal vs Liverpool
Stoke vs Brighton
Norwich vs Crewe/Bristol Rovers
West Ham vs Bristol City
Tottenham vs Burnley
Fulham vs Rotherham
West Brom vs Aldershot/Stockport
Southampton vs Alfreton/Walsall
AFC Wimbledon/Ramsgate vs Ipswich
Peterborough vs Leeds
Millwall vs Leicester
Watford vs Chesterfield/Leyton Orient
Sunderland vs Newcastle
Sheff Weds vs Cardiff
Crystal Palace vs Everton
Middlesbrough vs Aston Villa
Nottm Forest vs Blackpool/Forest Green
Wigan vs Man Utd
Man City vs Huddersfield
Blackburn vs Cambridge
Gillingham vs Sheff Utd
Swansea vs Morecambe
Chelsea vs Preston
QPR vs Bournemouth
Coventry vs Oxford
Brentford vs Wolves
Plymouth vs Sutton
Maidstone vs Stevenage/Port Vale
Newport/Barnet vs Eastleigh/Reading
Hull vs Birmingham

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Well that's shit. I said it was going to be a disappointment.

Sunderland vs. Newcastle stands out for me so far, as well as Arsenal vs. Liverpool.

Yeah they're the main two that stand out.

Those two and Wigan vs Man Utd will be on TV for sure.

• Subscriber

Obviously they'll waste some of the TV slots on Arsenal vs Liverpool and probably either the Chelsea or Spurs games.

The Newcastle one is a great draw. Wigan vs Man Utd as well.

There's four all Premier League ties in there and four more top flight teams who have to go away to Championship sides so should bode well for any underdogs looking for a cup run. Very good chance of a big tie for say whoever gets through the Maidstone/Port Vale/Stevenage tie.

Pretty sure the following will be on TV

Sunderland v Newcastle

Arsenal v Liverpool

Wigan v Man Utd

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa

Gillingham v Sheff Utd

Peterborough v Leeds (Kinda think we're seen as a good draw still and shock potential)

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber

That Palace Everton pick is absolutely bizarre from a television perspective and the scheduling is somehow even worse. Extending the broadcasting schedule to a Thursday before just for the sake of televising your bog standard Premier League 3pm? Weird.

Maybe its time to seed the Third Round.

You have 44 teams enter the competition for the first time at a point where 20 other clubs have played at least two games to get to that point, and if you're a Non-League team, qualifying rounds on top of that.

You kinda feel they have earnt the right to a big home draw, and being honest, it's what we want to see from the competition.

Wouldn't be hard to do would it. 20 clubs that have participated so far are in one pot, drawn out accordingly and given home draws whilst the 44 other clubs are drawn from another. 

Once those ties are sorted, the remainder becomes a free draw. You have 24 clubs left made up of Premier League and Championship, so 12 ties that could still potentially throw up all Premier League clashes or a Sunderland v Newcastle/Millwall v West Ham scenario.

Then from the 4th round, just do a free draw. Simple.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Maybe its time to seed the Third Round.

You have 44 teams enter the competition for the first time at a point where 20 other clubs have played at least two games to get to that point, and if you're a Non-League team, qualifying rounds on top of that.

You kinda feel they have earnt the right to a big home draw, and being honest, it's what we want to see from the competition.

Wouldn't be hard to do would it. 20 clubs that have participated so far are in one pot, drawn out accordingly and given home draws whilst the 44 other clubs are drawn from another. 

Once those ties are sorted, the remainder becomes a free draw. You have 24 clubs left made up of Premier League and Championship, so 12 ties that could still potentially throw up all Premier League clashes or a Sunderland v Newcastle/Millwall v West Ham scenario.

Then from the 4th round, just do a free draw. Simple.

I still like the way the French do it in their domestic cup.

Any team drawn away from home that is at least 2 divisions lower than the home team drawn, the tie becomes swapped so the lower-rank side automatically has the tie at home. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I still like the way the French do it in their domestic cup.

Any team drawn away from home that is at least 2 divisions lower than the home team drawn, the tie becomes swapped so the lower-rank side automatically has the tie at home. 

Yeah, not bad to be fair. I do think it's time we looked at revamping things so we can get the best out of the competition for everyone.

• Subscriber
On 07/12/2023 at 21:57, RandoEFC said:

That Palace Everton pick is absolutely bizarre from a television perspective and the scheduling is somehow even worse. Extending the broadcasting schedule to a Thursday before just for the sake of televising your bog standard Premier League 3pm? Weird.

I think it's entirely a logistical thing. Crystal Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford and QPR all got drawn at home which is remarkable. Even a bit further out, Luton and Watford did too.

Ours at Millwall ended up half 12. Can't stand early away games when they aren't local.

• Subscriber

Regarding draws honestly I don't think it should change. I don't think you should rob the opportunity for say, Barnet to go and play at Old Trafford or Anfield. It's financially a better deal for them too if the ticket revenue is being split between the two clubs.

I think it's just the nature of cup draws. Maidstone getting Stevenage at home is a real shame for them but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't think they should be handed the dream tie just for making it there.

If I was to change anything about the FA Cup it's that I would get rid of replays in the instance that the two clubs are in the same division. Perfect case in point is our draw. Literally nobody at Leicester or Millwall is going to want to play another game against each other in a midweek in January, the third time in a month, the second trip Millwall will have made here in a month. I think replays should be retained but if the teams are in the same league I really don't see the point. But then I also don't mind them staying either - it's just the way the cookie crumbles. It's not something I'd kick off about them not introducing.

• 3 weeks later...

if memory serves me right ,i think over the 3rd round weekend theres around 4 ties live on tv.can any one please forward there views and say why on earth is man city v huddersfield(and the others) being shown live and not a more exciting proposition/bigger match ie peterborough v leeds,beyond me,huddersfield dont stand a cat in hells chance of doing anything at city.i guess another game to fall asleep through half way through..

• The topic was unpinned