talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 16 - 9-10th December, 2023

football forum

Anyone can beat anyone on the day, it's just that the league is no longer 3 or 4 unbeatable teams.  

Liverpool certainly will feel it's theirs to lose but most of the fans on here will say that at times they have been shaky.  Arsenal and City have struggled to knock off Luton and Bournemouth are playing like prime Barcelona at the moment.

the only constant is that Chelsea suck

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Anyone can beat anyone on the day, it's just that the league is no longer 3 or 4 unbeatable teams.  

Liverpool certainly will feel it's theirs to lose but most of the fans on here will say that at times they have been shaky.  Arsenal and City have struggled to knock off Luton and Bournemouth are playing like prime Barcelona at the moment.

the only constant is that Chelsea suck

I don't think it's anyone's to lose at the moment. Liverpool have their noses in front, I don't think there's much in it between them and Arsenal. Man City are always looming with the potential of a five million game winning streak. It's foreseeable that they could lack the motivation or not quite click when they get key players back, but Arsenal and Liverpool have had their fair share of unconvincing moments as well. 

The bookies still have Man City around Evens meaning a ~50% chance of the title with Arsenal and Liverpool neck and neck on 20-25% each and then Villa on a very slim outside chance. Personally I'd be slightly less generous to City and give them maybe a 40% chance with Arsenal and Liverpool on 30% each. Nice for it not to be a foregone conclusion at least.

• Administrator

Can see Man City eventually running away with it with De Bruyne & Haaland both to come back in the side and see them over the line (yawn).

Liverpool and Arsenal to be the closest challengers - Liverpool have the experience, Arsenal will drop out of other competitions and end up focusing on the title.

I'd love for Aston Villa to be the next club to upset the standard 'big/top six' power and even sustain it. They won't win the title but I can see them sticking around in the top 4. 

Newcastle and Spurs seemingly lack the squad depth when injuries hit; the advantage for the latter being no European competitions to contend with. Perhaps January will be key if they do end up buying any amount of players. 

If someone had asked before the season, the best outcome for Villa, I would have gone with anywhere in the top 6 & perhaps a trophy. Add in a few more players. Hold on to the top performers.

Now? They should just try to remain doing what they are doing. What they have done 2nd half of last season & 1st half of this one. Where they are clear 2nd in calendar year table. But they also have given themselves a huge opportunity. That the players & fans should take positively. Not feeling the pressure that applies to the usual challengers. Any top 4 finish, perhaps still with a trophy, celebrated. Doing what some said could not be done. And, just by default, if none of the usual contenders step up the pace, making the title 90-95 points, then Villa, continuing to do what they are doing, will not be far off. Right now, without a few more additions, yes, Villa are the 1 where you can see a case that this could be their peak right now, while others could still potentially take it to another level.

• The topic was unpinned