talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

War in Ecuador

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

Calling us a failed state is harsh though. I just looked it up and very few are truly "failed states".

Most of South America falls under the “elevated warning” status on the 2023 Fragile States index though. Granted, it’s not a perfect index.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most of South America falls under the “elevated warning” status on the 2023 Fragile States index though. Granted, it’s not a perfect index.

We are far from first world for sure so I think that is fair, but failed state is extreme. Haiti is a failed state. Sudan is a failed state. Peru is not.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Said numerous not all.

No, you're right but I think in our case the military helps keep the constitution in check, something I find very surprising given the level of corruption and informality in this country. The politicians can't pull stupid shenanigans.

12 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

We are far from first world for sure so I think that is fair, but failed state is extreme. Haiti is a failed state. Sudan is a failed state. Peru is not.

First world isn’t economic status. It’s a Cold War term to delineate communist countries and those allied with the USA.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

First world isn’t economic status. It’s a Cold War term to delineate communist countries and those allied with the USA.

I did not know that. I guess "developing country" would be a better term? Regardless, we are pretty strong economically for LATAM standards. We have the third strongest currency in the Americas at the moment.

1 minute ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I did not know that. I guess "developing country" would be a better term? Regardless, we are pretty strong economically for LATAM standards. We have the third strongest currency in the Americas at the moment.

Yes, developing country would be more correct. Because with the definition of ‘first world’ Peru very much is a first world country due to it’s alliance to the Western Bloc during the cold war. It’s funny that the term ‘third world’ has become shorthand for ‘developing’ or ‘poverty’, it really shows a condescension mindset of western countries to the rest of the world, it often shows up in the concept of ‘orientalising’ I think. That’s a whole other thing in itself. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yes, developing country would be more correct. Because with the definition of ‘first world’ Peru very much is a first world country due to it’s alliance to the Western Bloc during the cold war. It’s funny that the term ‘third world’ has become shorthand for ‘developing’ or ‘poverty’, it really shows a condescension mindset of western countries to the rest of the world, it often shows up in the concept of ‘orientalising’ I think. That’s a whole other thing in itself. 

Thanks for that insight, I was part of that mindset unfortunately but only because it became such a commonly misused term :(

• 2 weeks later...