talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2023/24 - 19-24th January, 2024

• Administrator

And that's a goal that's been coming 

Fucking shit from us. Just asked for the pressure to tell. Another deflected shot helokf them out late on. 

Crap from us to not kill the game off earlier. Deja vu. 

• Administrator

Once again ruing having a good first half and no plan B in the second half. Ipswich changed the momentum with Sarmiento and Hutchinson coming on and having 4 up front virtually. 

Still 8 ahead of 3rd but it's annoying when it could have been 10 and that we concede late on once again too. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

How did we look? Game was on TV here in Peru but I had an emergency and couldn't watch.

First half crap. 

Second half much better as we ran out of ideas and chose to sit on a 1 goal lead, naively, once again this season. Hutchison and Sarmiento coming on and the tactical change to press high and put more bodies up caused us trouble from about 70mins onwards. It's like we were waiting for the chance to counter like we've done against other teams but Ipswich have more quality than to leave gaps and restrict opportunities. 

Maresca is now developing a habit of struggling to think of different options when we go a bit flat and instead it just invites pressure on to us as teams adapt. It's not a good habit to have when you could be missing key players too. 

• Subscriber

Another fucking choke in a big game. Increasingly concerned about the record in adversity and the number of late goals conceded. I don't think we'd let in a second half goal until Middlesbrough in November. Since then I think we've conceded decisive late goals in just about half of the games.

Whilst I'm sure it was just a bump in the inevitable road to promotion for Leicester, that's a big point for Ipswich given Southampton look like they're not slowing down.

All the bottom half teams in the Premier League should be concerned if Leeds, Leicester and Southampton come straight up given the quality they're producing this season so we should all be rooting for Ipswich.

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Whilst I'm sure it was just a bump in the inevitable road to promotion for Leicester, that's a big point for Ipswich given Southampton look like they're not slowing down.

All the bottom half teams in the Premier League should be concerned if Leeds, Leicester and Southampton come straight up given the quality they're producing this season so we should all be rooting for Ipswich.

I agree with the first sentence, and our big game record has also been piss to be honest. I wasn't expecting a draw seeing how December went.

• Subscriber

I flick between thinking we're a bit of a machine and thinking that we're just vastly superior in quality so we can't really not rack up a sky high number of points. I think I'm still a bit stung by the way we've choked in recent years from positions that felt insurmountable. The gap isn't as big as it's felt.

I can't shake this feeling that we're just getting by on quality rather than any tactical brilliance. When we're posed questions we're not really answering them. I know it sounds mad given how many points we do have but I think it's a pretty bad mix for the top flight next season, when we won't be able to call on the level of quality very often.

To not win either of those Ipswich games is infuriating. A last gap goal both times. I respect Ipswich and what they're doing, but we've let them off the hook twice for me now.

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Southampton feel like the team to beat if I'm being honest. Got an ominous feel about them.

We've beaten Ipswich twice, I'd be very surprised if they stayed 2nd.

Our big game record is a bit piss but the reason we're in 2nd is because we're beating everyone outside the top 6. Winning those games consistently is keeping us in a promotion spot.

I do think we'll maintain a top 2 spot as we still manage to escape defeat even in those big games, but collective play alone won't keep us up should that happen.

Fair play Daniel Farke.

Didn't want to wait to play the postponed game, he wanted it pulled forward so we could apply pressure to 2nd place and that's exactly what we've done tonight.

No idea why Norwich agreed to make the trip here at short notice on a weeknight but that was a big three points off the back of Preston and now just two points seperate Ipswich, Saints and us.

Ok, they have a game in hand on us but that's still got to be played. When they play those games, it might be at a time thats worse for them.

Should have put that one to bed a lot earlier tonight although has to be said, Norwich played really well and looked good on the ball. They lack some serious cutting edge though in the final third. Its all fart, no poo with them.

Joe Rodon is just a Rolls Royce. I'll be gutted if I don't see him wearing a Leeds top next season. Top marks to Gruev too whose come in and established a place in the team, very tidy player.

And what else can you say about Lord Bamford? Been right through the mill with him like a rollercoaster but he definitely seems like he's invigorated again. Carries on like that and Piroe will have to make do with sub appearances and rotation.

Just need to cut out those silly slip ups really. Some stupid points dropped thst's cost us being about 5 or 6 points better off I'd say.

Edited by Lucas

• Subscriber

Did we dodge a bit of a bullet on Piroe? I've not seen much praise for him. It does make me smile when I see some of our fans acting like we missed out because I'm really not sure we did.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Dan said:

Did we dodge a bit of a bullet on Piroe? I've not seen much praise for him. It does make me smile when I see some of our fans acting like we missed out because I'm really not sure we did.

Debatable, because us and Leeds play in such a vastly different tactic way. 

He's quite clearly a decent player, and perhaps he's just not settled at Leeds as quickly (he seemed to start the season well?). Did he profit in a Swansea team that played more like us or how Leeds do?

6 hours ago, Dan said:

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Debatable, because us and Leeds play in such a vastly different tactic way. 

He's quite clearly a decent player, and perhaps he's just not settled at Leeds as quickly (he seemed to start the season well?). Did he profit in a Swansea team that played more like us or how Leeds do?

Absolutely nothibg wrong with Piroe, he's the best finisher at the club.

The issue has been how Farke's used him. He seems to play him as a 10 more than an out and out 9, wanting him and Rutter to swap during the game and I don't think he has the attributes to play in that role. 

This leans more towards @Stan's point in tje way we play. Our front four are very dynamic in the positions they take up and how interchangeable they are. Just think that's not quite Piroe's game. He is more used to being the focal point.

In terms of when he gets chances, he doesn't miss many. I just think sadly for him, Farke has input Bamford as a 9, Rutter as the 10 and its worked so well. Bamford for all his critics, has a brilliant knack of bringing peeple into the game and is full of confidence now. 

More than happy with Piroe coming on for now and rotating, its a great strength to have especially when he comes on and cooly slots that penalty away like v Preston, but I think if he was at Leicester or Saints, he'd be the main man and score a bucket load for sure. 

Edited by Lucas

• The topic was unpinned