talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gaming - General Chat

football forum

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

What are your views on remakes? Last Of Us 2 remake is out in Jan 2024 for £10 if you have TLOU 2 you get the remake cheap. People are starting to kick off over remakes, saying gamers are being ripped off and stuff.

I think a remake is warranted only if the original had such poor tech or sales that the remake helps that (which is rarely ever the case). The other reason to do a remake is anniversaries for dev/publishers or the franchise has gone cold and is getting a new version so they do remakes. There are very few companies that do this right and Naughty Dog is not one of them. Why redo TLOU at all, it was a great game already and made them so much money and a tv show it makes no sense.

With Capcom and RE I can see why. The originals were on really poor tech and they do remakes rather well because they totally change the way the game plays so you're not getting the same game/overall story. With RE4 I was so disappointed that they never went back and did the original demo they did at the Tokyo Game Show where Leon used a torch through the entire gameplay with a gun and if you lose the torch you were basically playing in the dark. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think a remake is warranted only if the original had such poor tech or sales that the remake helps that (which is rarely ever the case). The other reason to do a remake is anniversaries for dev/publishers or the franchise has gone cold and is getting a new version so they do remakes. There are very few companies that do this right and Naughty Dog is not one of them. Why redo TLOU at all, it was a great game already and made them so much money and a tv show it makes no sense.

With Capcom and RE I can see why. The originals were on really poor tech and they do remakes rather well because they totally change the way the game plays so you're not getting the same game/overall story. With RE4 I was so disappointed that they never went back and did the original demo they did at the Tokyo Game Show where Leon used a torch through the entire gameplay with a gun and if you lose the torch you were basically playing in the dark. 

You could add to the remake argument to revitalise a series if it has gone dormant (which you mentioned a little) or struggling, to see if gamers are interested in more of those games.

Two examples from the top of my head are the Crash N Sane trilogy and the Advance Wars Reboot Camp, the former as the series had struggled in recent years and possibly causing the market to lose interest, and the latter without a game in the series for 15 years. The end result for Crash saw Crash 4: It's About Time being created and well received. Not sure on sale figures for Advance Wars though and wouldn't be surprised if that goes dormant again.

For the technology angle, I believe Shadow of the Colossus came out on PS2 to wide acclaim, but I heard it struggled a bit on the hardware, to which the PS4 version was released (which I played and really enjoyed in fairness).

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

For the technology angle, I believe Shadow of the Colossus came out on PS2 to wide acclaim, but I heard it struggled a bit on the hardware, to which the PS4 version was released (which I played and really enjoyed in fairness).

This was something I did too and really enjoyed it. 

48 minutes ago, MUFC said:

My brother is hardcore metal gear solid fan. He's been on them since day 1. He's ordered the remakes of the first 3 is it? Never played any of them. I might give them a go.

If that's the recent Metal Gear Solid collection, tread a little carefully as apparently Konami have done the square root of fuck all with them (in fact, when there was a technical comparison being made against the consoles it's out for, one of the showed a logo brief for the HD Collection that came out on PS3 and 360).

That's not to say the games are bad at all and for what it's worth, you do get 6/7 games out of it (depending on how you want to be with the original Metal Gear, as it has both the MSX and NES version in the collection). It's just that for what they're charging and what they've done with the games, Konami are taking the piss really.

Not sure if he's aware, but there's another collection due out that has the other games on there, including MGS4, which only released on PS3 I believe.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
On 27/11/2023 at 20:05, MUFC said:

My brother is hardcore metal gear solid fan. He's been on them since day 1. He's ordered the remakes of the first 3 is it? Never played any of them. I might give them a go.

Good games but as mentioned before Konami isn't ever really going to do anything in terms of upscaling with them. Still, fantastic series and I have played them all. If you like some sneaking and having a go at not using your lethal weapons at all these are the games for you. Snake Eater is still in my top 10 and for very good reason too, it really is that good.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Good games but as mentioned before Konami isn't ever really going to do anything in terms of upscaling with them. Still, fantastic series and I have played them all. If you like some sneaking and having a go at not using your lethal weapons at all these are the games for you. Snake Eater is still in my top 10 and for very good reason too, it really is that good.

Not played any of them myself. I remember the days of him talking and wanking over big boss. Fuck knows who he is going on about.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, MUFC said:

Not played any of them myself. I remember the days of him talking and wanking over big boss. Fuck knows who he is going on about.

I think the real kicker is that Kojima was really at the top of his game when the first three came out and then it divulged into something of a story mess when 4 came out and the subsequent ones are just a messy story with a lot of tangled webs. 

If I had to tell someone to play them in an order of fun/good I'd go with the following order

1. Metal Gear Solid 
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake-Eater
  3. Metal Gear (Original)
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  5. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  6. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think the real kicker is that Kojima was really at the top of his game when the first three came out and then it divulged into something of a story mess when 4 came out and the subsequent ones are just a messy story with a lot of tangled webs. 

If I had to tell someone to play them in an order of fun/good I'd go with the following order

1. Metal Gear Solid 
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake-Eater
  3. Metal Gear (Original)
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  5. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  6. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

What about Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mel81x said:

By sneaking around do you mean like stealth in the last of us and unchartered? Where you can sneak up and kill?

30 minutes ago, MUFC said:

By sneaking around do you mean like stealth in the last of us and unchartered? Where you can sneak up and kill?

In terms of sneaking around, it's like stealth, but in a different way to the games you mentioned because of the type of games they all are.

Uncharted is more of an action adventure game where stealth is mainly used as part of set pieces or just for stealth kills where possible (i.e. you've sneaked behind the enemy to kill them). They aren't stealth games where sneaking around like what @Mel81x mentioned is required.

The Last of Us has more in the way of stealth and if you want a better comparator, it's closer to that than Uncharted. In this case, it's used in a survival horror sense as being stealthy in taking out the infected or killing other humans is better than all guns blazing, as you'll very quickly get overwhelmed and killed if there's too many. 

The Metal Gear games have mainly been around stealth and infiltration throughout, as again, while you can shoot enemies and the like, you won't last very long as enemies will hone in on you and basically take you out if you're spotted, especially as you had to be out of line of sight and, in the case of MGS3, be camouflaged well enough to avoid detection. That's not to say you don't use weapons or the like at all and you do need them to take out bosses and the like.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, MUFC said:

With MGS you're given the option to go all out or be ultra stealthy. What you choose really depends on how you want to play the game, my personal preference is stealth as it really does challenge you in some particular scenarios. The reason MGS3 ranks so high for me in the list is that you don't even need to kill the bosses and you can use CQC (close quarter combat) and a tranq-gun to take them all out. While this seems easy its far from it because that system requires you to master it throughout the game as you progress and some of the zones leave you scratching your head on how stealth should be used. It's really one of a kind and its closes comparison is probably Splinter Cell and Thief in some ways too. You get rewarded for being sneaky more so than being ultra combative which you can be. 

And yes you can sneak up and choke, tranq or kill someone in MGS. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

With MGS you're given the option to go all out or be ultra stealthy. What you choose really depends on how you want to play the game, my personal preference is stealth as it really does challenge you in some particular scenarios. The reason MGS3 ranks so high for me in the list is that you don't even need to kill the bosses and you can use CQC (close quarter combat) and a tranq-gun to take them all out. While this seems easy its far from it because that system requires you to master it throughout the game as you progress and some of the zones leave you scratching your head on how stealth should be used. It's really one of a kind and its closes comparison is probably Splinter Cell and Thief in some ways too. You get rewarded for being sneaky more so than being ultra combative which you can be. 

Sounds good to me. So much satisfaction when you sneak up on people and slit their throats, and break their necks. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Heard a new Splinter Cell is coming out next year? Never played the old ones.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Heard a new Splinter Cell is coming out next year? Never played the old ones.

The old ones are good but dated for their time. Have to say that they had some of the nicest online gaming experience though and it was quite fun.

• Upvote 1

On 16/11/2023 at 10:28, MUFC said:

On 26/11/2023 at 10:01, Mel81x said:

Not gonna lie I'd have loved if Capcom had spent some time doing an over-the-soulder RE1 Remake but in all honesty I wish they'd focus on the next big game in the series vs remakes at this point. This had potential to be one of the scarier ones too just because of the enemies involved. 

Funny this was mentioned.

https://www.eurogamer.net/capcom-confirms-more-resident-evil-remakes-on-the-way