talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2023/24 - 19-24th April, 2024

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Leeds fans right now:

Screenshot_20240423_071148_Slack.thumb.jpg.a2f7e81a86d369a93d3cb0639c59920e.jpg

After Sunderland were allowed to play volleyball twice in our penalty area two weeks ago, I will happily take an offside goal coming our way.

I'm surprised the ref eveb awarded us that penalty last night, they usually miss the dead obvious one's.

Calling it now. I know a lot of people are expecting a bit of a ding dong battle but I'm pretty certain Leicester will win tonight with less of a scare. I always felt there was more chance of West Brom getting a result there than Saints because of how well drilled they are under Corberan.

Southampton will be far too open knowing they have to go all out for the win and Leicester have the quality to exploit that. I think they'll pick off the gaps quite easily.

Just have to look at that Saints midfield tonight without Flynn Downes and Stuart Armstrong. Not sure Charles and Rothwell are the same calibre.

• Administrator

Slight offside in the build-up. But we've been dominant and deserve the lead. Expect Southampton to come out firing 2nd half so just need to keep our cool and not lose our heads. 

Ref has been shocking though, in our favour. Giving an offside for a bizarre Fatawu volley clearance that went backwards was amusing. Never a foul in the build up to the goal, however. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Calling it now. I know a lot of people are expecting a bit of a ding dong battle but I'm pretty certain Leicester will win tonight with less of a scare. I always felt there was more chance of West Brom getting a result there than Saints because of how well drilled they are under Corberan.

Southampton will be far too open knowing they have to go all out for the win and Leicester have the quality to exploit that. I think they'll pick off the gaps quite easily.

Just have to look at that Saints midfield tonight without Flynn Downes and Stuart Armstrong. Not sure Charles and Rothwell are the same calibre.

Called it to a tee. Didn't lay a glove and Leicester cruised it. Wouldn't have called five admitedly but it just looked and felt like it was a match up perfectly suited for Leicester to exploit.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Called it to a tee. Didn't lay a glove and Leicester cruised it. Wouldn't have called five admitedly but it just looked and felt like it was a match up perfectly suited for Leicester to exploit.

Good call, fair play. 

Russell Martin coming under a lot of scrutiny now. He was absolutely broken after the game! 

• Subscriber

Fatawu's the best prospect we've had in a long time. Lots of talk from Sporting fans that they've made a fuckup on the scale of Palhinha / Raphinha by letting him come to us. He's had basically everything but the goals this season, if they've arrived too then happy days. I've no idea what sort of spend we're looking at next season but even despite our situation I'm good with us paying the money for him because he's worth far more.

Just had a look at Ipswich's fixtures.  Away to Hull then away to Coventry in the span of 4 days.  7th and 8th place teams both battling for playoff positions and both games on the road.  Yikes.

Then home for Huddersfield to end the season who may still be fighting for points to stay up.

• Subscriber

Yeah if we can't go up from here it's time to pack it up and call it a day. I think we could quite likely lose the last two and still go up from here tbh.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Coma said:

Away to Hull then away to Coventry in the span of 4 days.  7th and 8th place teams both battling for playoff positions and both games on the road.

A few weeks ago I think that would have held some relevance, but with Norwich only needing a point to secure playoffs, I don't think they're as tough as first thought. Ipswich are well rested too considering they had a weekend off. I think they'll beat Coventry but perhaps draw with Hull. 

What I have learnt though is that just because teams have nothing left to play for in terms of playoffs or survival, they can still throw up a surprise of a performance. 

So yeah, who the fuck knows what will happen xD

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

A few weeks ago I think that would have held some relevance, but with Norwich only needing a point to secure playoffs, I don't think they're as tough as first thought. Ipswich are well rested too considering they had a weekend off. I think they'll beat Coventry but perhaps draw with Hull. 

What I have learnt though is that just because teams have nothing left to play for in terms of playoffs or survival, they can still throw up a surprise of a performance. 

So yeah, who the fuck knows what will happen xD

Hull has a game in hand and Coventry has 2 in hand on Norwich.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Coma said:

Hull has a game in hand and Coventry has 2 in hand on Norwich.

Yep, meant Norwich need 1 win as opposed to 1 point. 

But one of those teams will pretty much be knocked out of the race tonight as they play each other. 

• Subscriber

Ipswich will be wanting a Coventry win tonight and then hope that Coventry drop points at the weekend - meaning that they would face both Hull and Coventry away in essentially dead rubbers.

I'd love to see the athletic or somebody do a proper study into 'on the beach' and 'dead rubber' statistics. I'm a bit of a football gambler and I've been wondering if there's actually a bit of an edge in backing those sorts of teams. For example Cardiff at the weekend were 9/1 to beat Southampton at home. We all fancied a Southampton win, but is that price not massively juiced up beyond reality? I think in reality they should've never been 'that' big.

I'm buzzing for Preston away on Monday. Funny sport isn't it football. The Millwall and Plymouth week was such a dire pair of showings from us entirely indicative of the sorts of end of season collapses we've suffered in recent years almost habitually at this point. Leeds & Ipswich let us off those results entirely. We got a bit lucky against West Brom but last night was just fantastic - it's added some glory to proceedings again where it felt before almost a bit embarrassing.

We've absolutely belted Southampton home and away this season. I do find it interesting how we 'still' seem to be a better team without the ball when we play on the break. That's actually quite encouraging for me ahead of next season where we would have a lot less of the ball.

Southampton set up uniquely badly against us in both games which once again vindicates my belief that Martin is a bit of a cretin. I know it's not really his mantra to stifle teams but if they went up under him I could see them getting some absolute spitroastings next season. I mean I can of us, let alone them.

*if* we are promoted of course. I'm about 95% sure we're up now but I do wonder if people will get the jitters again should Leeds & Ipswich both win at the weekend. Preston's setup will be the polar opposite to Southampton. No team played further into our hands this season than them. Basically what I'm saying is Preston beating us 1-0 wouldn't flabbergast me.

• The topic was unpinned