talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Europa League 2023/24 Semi-Finals - Thursday 9th May 2024 (2nd Legs)

• Administrator

1200px-UEFA_Europa_League_(football_comp

all kick-offs 20.00 (BST)

Thursday 9th May, 2024
Atalanta (1) vs (1) Marseille

Bayer Leverkusen (2) vs (0) Roma

Atalanta v Marseille is a tough one to call, but given that Atalanta are playing this leg at home, I think they have the advantage and are probably the more likely side to make the final.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Atalanta v Marseille is a tough one to call, but given that Atalanta are playing this leg at home, I think they have the advantage and are probably the more likely side to make the final.

I think it'll be another draw and go to penalties.

Leverkusen in the final to win it. 

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think it'll be another draw and go to penalties.

Leverkusen in the final to win it. 

It will be an interesting match I think. Atalanta and Marseille have battled hard to get here and they have beaten some very good teams. Malinovskyi, one of my favourite Ukrainian players has played for both these clubs in recent years. It could very well go to penalties as you suggest, either way it would be nice to see either side in the final. But yeah, I can't see either of these teams beating Bayer Leverkusen in the final. Bayer Leverkusen have been out of this world.

Leverkusen have been so dominant in this match, they have hit the post and forced numerous excellent saves from the Roma keeper Svilar, yet find themselves a goal down at half-time, thanks to a Roma penalty scored by Paredes. It was such an unnecessary penalty to give away, as Tah committed the foul in the area, when there was no real threat. Tah has been pretty poor in this 1st half and he has himself a booking. I'd take him off for the 2nd half if I was Alonso and bring on Kossounou or Stanisic in his place or something. 

I am all for rotating the team which Alonso has done all season, but why Alonso didn't choose an out an out centre forward in that 1st half, when he has the likes of Boniface and Schick fit on the bench is beyond me. Adli is not known for scoring many goals, if Boniface or Schick had started this match, surely they would have scored at least one goal for Leverkusen in that 1st half. When you have 2 top forwards like Boniface and Schick fit for an important match like this one, surely you have to start at least one of them. I hope Leverkusen don't lost their unbeaten record in this match and I definitely hope they don't get knocked out at this stage. I don't think the latter will happen, but I definitely losing their unbeaten record is a possibility if they don't get their act together. Hopefully Boniface or Schick come on for the start of this upcoming 2nd half.

Half-time score: Bayer Leverkusen 0-1 AS Roma

Bollocks, another penalty awarded to Roma and Paredes scores from the penalty spot again. Alonso should just bring on all the key players off the bench ASAP.

Leverkusen have created so many chances, the latest one was that chance from Adli which went narrowly wide. You have to think that if it was Boniface or Schick with that chance, they would have scored. Finally Alonso brings on Schick and it's Hlozek who comes off the pitch. But surely Alonso had to bring on star man Wirtz when he brought on Schick. Leverkusen need a goal here. They've been so dominant but not scored, they need those key players on to put the ball in the back of the net.

Leverkusen do it again! Equalise in the last few seconds to extend the unbeaten run and send Roma out on their arses. Good riddance. 

Posted (edited)

Unbelievable, Leverkusen get the equaliser to maintain their unbeaten record! First an own goal Mancini pulled a goal back for Leverkusen and then deep into injury time, Stanisic got the equaliser when he went on a strong run down the right flank, cut inside and unleashed a powerful shot that found the back of the net! Leverkusen are just incredible and still undefeated! They reach the Europa League Final!

AS Roma 2-2 Bayer Leverkusen

Edited by Michael

This Leverkusen side are just amazing, they had 32 shots in todays match against Roma, even though Alonso rested several Leverkusen players for most of this match. Their top forward Boniface wasn't even brought on and neither was Andrich. Bayer Leverkusen will now face Atalanta in the Europa League final and I think we can all only see one winner in that match.

Leverkusen look highly likely to finish the season unbeaten now. The quality and level of football they have been playing is actually unmatched by any team I have seen play football this season. 

Lets look at Leverkusen's remaining fixtures for this season:

Bochum (away) 12th May

Augsburg (home) 18th May

Atalanta (Europa League Final, held at the Dublin Arena, Dublin Ireland) 22nd of May

Kaiserslautern (DFB Pokal - Final, held at the Olympiastadion in Berlin) 25th May

I think we can see them winning all 4 of their remaining games relatively comfortably. They will put their strongest teams out for the 2 final matches. With the way they have been playing, they should win all 4 games. Leverkusen have now gone 49 matches unbeaten in all competitions, which is a new record. No other European club has done this, which makes it even more incredible. 

• Like 1

Eintracht Frankfurt won the Europa League 2 seasons ago and it seems inevitable that Leverkusen will win the Europa League this season and be the next German club to win it. But it will be very interesting to see how well this Leverkusen side does in the Champions League next season. Alonso has said he wants to stay at Leverkusen next season and rejected offers to join other top European sides. I think this is an indication that Leverkusen will do it's best to keep most of their best players at the club for next season. They will no doubt also buy a few nifty players over the summer as well, they will certainly have a lot of money to spend over the summer, given all the trophies they are likely to win this season and all the prize money they will get. This Leverkusen team is definitely one of the best club sides that I have seen play in my life. They deserve all the credit that they get.

• Subscriber

It's simply unreal how resilient this Leverkusen team is. I really hope they win everything this season because I don't think any team has ever won everything and gone a whole season undefeated anywhere in Europe have they?

It would be great to see Leverkusen actually go unbeaten the whole season. But I think I want Atalanta to win the competition, they’re a very likeable club and approach football in a great way. Would be a really good success story, plus it’ll guarentee them Champions League footy next season.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Danny said:

It would be great to see Leverkusen actually go unbeaten the whole season. But I think I want Atalanta to win the competition, they’re a very likeable club and approach football in a great way. Would be a really good success story, plus it’ll guarentee them Champions League footy next season.

Gasperini is an underrated coach. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Gasperini is an underrated coach. 

Yeah I’ve only really watched them from a distance but he’s clearly done a great job on a fluctuating budget. It would be good to see them compete more in the Champions League slots in the way Dortmund started too…though Dortmund did have European pedigree beforehand in fairness. But hopefully the stadium expansion gives them an advantage in Serie A.