Eibar vs Celta Vigo, 17.30
Las Palmas vs Levante, 17.30
Real Sociedad vs Valencia, 19.45

Monday 25th September, 2017
Real Betis vs Levante, 20.00

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where Sevilla will no longer remain undefeated I'm afraid. Atletico are too strong at the moment, even if their scorelines don't always look the most convincing.

Barcelona and Real both have potential banana skins away to Girona and Alaves respectively. Girona have shown so far that they can't be taken lightly as many newly promoted teams are in La Liga these days and Alaves can be a pain in the arse to play again, and with Real Madrid's recent form they may have to up their game as to prevent dropping more points.

The Real Sociedad vs Valencia game is the game of the weekend(along with Atletico/Sevilla), but Las Palmas vs Levante could also be interesting. Levante have surprised me a lot in the opening games. I didn't expect much from them when they were promoted back to the Primera Division but they are so far undefeated, have taken a point off Real Madrid at the Bernabeu and Valencia in the derby, beaten Villarreal 1-0 and comfortably beat Real Sociedad 3-0 last night. They went down a few years ago with an ageing battered team full on loanees, but have returned to the flight with a younger, rejuvenated side and have been causing all types of upsets lately.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Who would’ve ever thought one day Girona would be playing Barcelona in Spain’s top division!  Nobody!

It’s going to be beautiful and historic. 

If you think 'rape' is beautiful, I might just have to call you in. 

Why not Semedo?

I see Valverde is freshening up his side and making rotations early as to prevent burn out, but Semedo is one of those who I believe is needed in this game.

Denis will likely start as part of the front 3 along with Messi and Suarez by the looks of it. This is one game I'll be missing though as I'm going fishing in 2 hours and won't be back until tomorrow. Unless there is a way to watch it on the mobile, then I'll just have to watch the scores coming through and check the extended highlights on youtube.

4 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Why not Semedo?

I see Valverde is freshening up his side and making rotations early as to prevent burn out, but Semedo is one of those who I believe is needed in this game.

Denis will likely start as part of the front 3 along with Messi and Suarez by the looks of it. This is one game I'll be missing though as I'm going fishing in 2 hours and won't be back until tomorrow. Unless there is a way to watch it on the mobile, then I'll just have to watch the scores coming through and check the extended highlights on youtube.

Well if you have a subscription to Sky, you can watch it on Sky GO mate.

I think he's taking this opportunity to rotate in this game.  Te season is long and as you pointed out, burnout is an issue.  The thing is the reading of situations on the whole and how seriously games should be taken.  Obviously Girona is seen as an easy prey and that could be an error...  Although it could turn out well with a positive result and players being rested.  I have an inkling that taking anything for granted this season could end up smacking you in the teeth.

ATLÉTICO DE MADRID 2-0 SEVILLA FC (FT)

Brilliant game by Atlético Madrid and more than anything a show of strength because Sevilla have had a very good start to the season.  Goals from Carrasco and Griezmann, but it's the Frenchman who's on absolute fire at the moment and one of the best performers in Europe right now!  This result sends a message to both Barcelona and Real Madrid apart from those participating in this season's Champions League.

GIRONA FC 0-3 FC BARCELONA (FT)

As I thought it would be, a very sticky game in Montilivi!  Not only is Girona one of those sides you just can't go out there and take for granted, but their loan recruitment has made them a side to be wary off.  Two own goals and the third a goal for Luis Suárez...

It's a historic moment because it's the first La Liga Catalan derby between the two and in that area it will have been a massive event.  3 very very important points and another away game over!

So Girona played a full on 90 minute individual man marker on Leo Messi yesterday...  It's the first time since Ernesto Valverde himself placed one on Messi back in the 2015 Copa del Rey Final where Balenciaga was the hitman chosen (who remembers Messi getting pissed off and scoring that wonder goal).

Well yesterday the Girona FC coach Pablo Machín put young Pablo Maffeo on Messi for the whole 90 minutes and the reason I'm mentioning this is for no other reason other than a curious and slightly humorous anecdote the young Maffeo came out with after the game in the post-match press conference.

When asked about it he said that the coach had told him in the morning that he would be dedicating his 90 minutes to a total man marking of Messi...  He said he found it strange because they hadn't trained for this all week.  Then Pablo Maffeo came out with this interesting quote; "There's a moment where there's a Barcelona player getting treated for a foul on the pitch and we all stop for a bit.  Messi comes up to me and smiling asks me this; Are you on loan from Manchester City?  I answered, yes, I am and he then laughs pats me on my shoulder and walks toward his coach (Valverde) to talk to him".

That quote made a talking point the whole of various late night radio talk programmes in Spain...  Make of it what you will, but what's interesting from various perspectives for me is one only (other than the conspiratorial)...  The intelligence of Messi!  He goes far beyond just playing football as a genius.  Nobody cottoned onto anything of the sort, but his brain runs in a different stratosphere when it comes to football.

Surprised that the first 2 goals came from own goals when you consider how many players there are in the team who are capable of scoring, but good to see Suarez bagging one as he's needed it and the team need his goals.

I'll watch the extended highlights later(or even the full game on sky go extra) as I've only seen the goals.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Surprised that the first 2 goals came from own goals when you consider how many players there are in the team who are capable of scoring, but good to see Suarez bagging one as he's needed it and the team need his goals.

I'll watch the extended highlights later(or even the full game on sky go extra) as I've only seen the goals.

Have you seen any of the Atleti v Sevilla mate?

What a game!  Loved every minute of that and it was two teams hammering each other's extremely well organised defences.  Usually defensive games from two teams tend to be tedious, but this was anything but.  If you haven't seen it, watch it mate.  Also get to see more of that incredible stadium which is fast becoming my favourite stadium in the world by far.

RCD ESPANYOL 4-1 DEPORTIVO LA CORUÑA (FT)

Great game from Espanyol and they seemed to have turned a corner after the victory against Celta Vigo which was a very sticky game.  They're now starting to go up the table.  Goals from: Baptistao, Arribas (OG), Gerard (P), Gerard.

Nah I haven't seen that either mate but I will watch the extended highlights of it.

I'm just watching the extended highlights of the Barcelona game now. Ter Stegen is a monster! Quality keeper and an unsung hero. He doesn't get enough credit. A few years ago he was one of the best young keepers in the world, but now he's one of the best keepers in the world full stop.

Sergi Roberto's ball to Suarez(after a surging run) was quality and Vidal has been looking dangerous when playing down the right and is another option in the absence of Dembele.

A scrappy win overall it seemed but it was always going to have to be that way against Girona away. It's all about winning in these type of games and you don't always get to see a masterclass. Winning these types of games is equally as important as any and these are the types where points were dropped last season.

Masch also looked to have a solid  game. It's good to see him getting more minutes.

• Administrator

2-2 now and the game has been really good but got a feeling it's just been ruined by Zubeldia being sent off. Got a 2nd booking for an overhead kick but made contact with the Valencia player's face as opposed to the ball. Ref deemed it as dangerous play. 

• Administrator

Kondogbia off now as well for a 2nd booking. No question about this one. Should have been off a few minutes earlier then slid in on a player and left his studs on the players shin. Needelss thing to do cos he got the ball anyway. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived