talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Acolyte (2024)

football forums

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

You and a lot of fans and this isnt related to the aforementioned stuff. The scripts seem so trite and simplistic in nature with a lot of stuff that just isn't helping. I think there were rumbling from the Marvel camp that they wanted to do less but do more quality and maybe Star Wars needs this treatment too. Yeah its a money raker but if you're pumping out shows for anything and everything you're basically throwing money away and quantity isn't necessarily translating to quality. Needs a hard reset imo and then a shift in stance to something a bit more familiar. I would avoid the Skywalker arc altogether and try and bring something else in. 

Not even sure that is true considering Disney have been taking massive losses since 2020. 

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

You and a lot of fans and this isnt related to the aforementioned stuff. The scripts seem so trite and simplistic in nature with a lot of stuff that just isn't helping. I think there were rumbling from the Marvel camp that they wanted to do less but do more quality and maybe Star Wars needs this treatment too. Yeah its a money raker but if you're pumping out shows for anything and everything you're basically throwing money away and quantity isn't necessarily translating to quality. Needs a hard reset imo and then a shift in stance to something a bit more familiar. I would avoid the Skywalker arc altogether and try and bring something else in. 

Tbf Star Wars has always had a good story that’s captured imaginations and told a good story, despite some writing that can be described as clumsy at best - going back to the original trilogy.

I feel like the prequels try to retcon some of the plot holes of the original, but the poor writing of those meant that plot holes from that had to be retconned by the Clone Wars series.

Imo the worst Disney has done to Star Wars is their own trilogy of films that are meant to come after the originals. I thought those were generally crap - that left plot holes that need to be filled by The Mandalorian & the Book of Boba Fett.

Mandalorian seasons 1-2 and Rogue One for me are absolute gold. Solo was pretty good too but maybe a tier or 2 below. Everything else, just never got into or left disappointed. I'm pretty sure I'd like Andor though. 

I think a big issue for me is different directors with different perspectives/tones taking charge for each project. I loved the darkness and grit in Rogue One and presumably continued onto Andor. Some star wars projects recently just looks like cosplay and small in scale. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Mandalorian seasons 1-2 and Rogue One for me are absolute gold. Solo was pretty good too but maybe a tier or 2 below. Everything else, just never got into or left disappointed. I'm pretty sure I'd like Andor though. 

I think a big issue for me is different directors with different perspectives/tones taking charge for each project. I loved the darkness and grit in Rogue One and presumably continued onto Andor. Some star wars projects recently just looks like cosplay and small in scale. 

Andor was great, imo the best of the Disney shows. It shows you can tell a great Star Wars story without even using the Jedi. I think some people got hyper critical of it because it was blatantly political - but it's blatantly against fascism, which is a central theme of the original Star Wars films 😂

I also don't see how any Star Wars fan of the prequels/Clone Wars wouldn't like Kenobi. I still haven't got round to watching the other animated Star Wars shows - honestly, I found Clone Wars hard to get into... but after the first season it stopped being Star Wars for kids and more of an animated Star Wars show for Star Wars fans generally, or Asoka. But because I like Star Wars, I think chances are I'd like them. To me, the Star Wars IP seems a lot more thought out than a lot of the Marvel crap they were just churning out - and I think Bob Iger was right to have Disney pull back on releasing so much of that shit.

So far, I don't have many complaints about The Acolyte. They're touching on a part of the Star Wars universe timeline people generally don't know all that much about, so that's cool. I think a lot of shows suffer to draw in an interest in the first season because they can be a bit of a slow burn... this show doesn't do that. The first 5 minutes start the show off with a bang and it's not really a slow moving series - so I think it's pretty easy for people who like Star Wars style action to get into. So far, so good. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Cicero said:

Not even sure that is true considering Disney have been taking massive losses since 2020. 

They still made money off the shows that werent even all that good and they have put out some good shows but its gotten to a point of saturation where they're just making content for the sake of it. This isnt a bad thing if you've got a team that knows who to hire and what projects to give them but that doesnt seem to be the case at Disney anymore.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf Star Wars has always had a good story that’s captured imaginations and told a good story, despite some writing that can be described as clumsy at best - going back to the original trilogy.

I feel like the prequels try to retcon some of the plot holes of the original, but the poor writing of those meant that plot holes from that had to be retconned by the Clone Wars series.

Imo the worst Disney has done to Star Wars is their own trilogy of films that are meant to come after the originals. I thought those were generally crap - that left plot holes that need to be filled by The Mandalorian & the Book of Boba Fett.

I think we can all agree that putting the Skywalker saga to bed until they can come up with a good reason to bring back one of those characters into their own arc or do something novel comes by. I can see value in what Lucas was doing with the prequels and it may have not completely worked but there was so much he wanted to tell that there was no way a studio was ever going to allow that to fly for the amount of screentime he was granted. The bigger issue with Star Wars video content in general is how much of it relies on relational arc piecing that you lose if you dont know everything necessary at times and I feel like Marvel made so many of those mistakes too because at the end of the day folks want to be entertained and while you have a fanbase which you shouldn't alienate telling a compelling story to draw in folks who aren't fans sets up a show that can be consumed by anyone.

• Upvote 1

The first member berry is Ki Adi Mundi who was not alive at the time of the Acolyte and his wookiepedia had to get edited to allow for this to work,   the Jedi Master who says the sith haven't existed for a 1000 years but is alive 100 years before that quote and doesn't know they are alive?   

At least we got to see Smilo Ren,  the plot twist will be that he is probably an apprentice,  maybe it is secretly the discount ezra miller. 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Yep, was an easy spot for a star wars nerd xD:ph34r:

How did you like the first live-action depiction of cortosis? 😎
Overall, many elements of the show feel very old EU/Legends-like, and it's obvious they're using a lot of that old lore!

Quite a body count in this episode too, haha. We even saw a Jedi kebab! xD 

Good job on noticing it early on, but I think the reveal of Qimir being the Sith wasn't intended to be a big surprise/twist anyway, as it was quite heavily implied from the very start and they didn't try to hide it. I think the "main twist" will be Osha - not Mae - killing Sol and becoming the Acolyte in the end. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

How did you like the first live-action depiction of cortosis? 😎
Overall, many elements of the show feel very old EU/Legends-like, and it's obvious they're using a lot of that old lore!

Quite a body count in this episode too, haha. We even saw a Jedi kebab! xD 

Good job on noticing it early on, but I think the reveal of Qimir being the Sith wasn't intended to be a big surprise/twist anyway, as it was quite heavily implied from the very start and they didn't try to hide it. I think the "main twist" will be Osha - not Mae - killing Sol and becoming the Acolyte in the end. 

Interesting. it was a legends concept wasn't it?  a metal that shorts out lightsabres is smart for a Sith or Jedi armour but id still rather have Beskar, guess i'm just a Mandalorian at heart :4_joy:

Haha yeah :4_joy: shame the Wookie died before we got a chance to see him in action 

I agree, as soon as Qimir said "peace is a lie" which is the first line of the Sith code i had my suspicions ha ..that's a good shout :35_thinking: i can see that happening but think master Sol is hiding something. there was a Sith around that time line called Darth Raven who was also a Jedi, he mastered the light & dark arts. if it's not him directly they could be using his story line with master Sol, he seems conflicted, be interesting to see how his story plays out  ..hey this is like Star Wars mafia wars trying to figure out who the bad guys are :4_joy: ..need to google Darth Raven and see if any rumours of him appearing in the Acolyte ha  

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Interesting. it was a legends concept wasn't it?  a metal that shorts out lightsabres is smart for a Sith or Jedi armour but id still rather have Beskar, guess i'm just a Mandalorian at heart :4_joy:

Haha yeah :4_joy: shame the Wookie died before we got a chance to see him in action 

I agree, as soon as Qimir said "peace is a lie" which is the first line of the Sith code i had my suspicions ha ..that's a good shout :35_thinking: i can see that happening but think master Sol is hiding something. there was a Sith around that time line called Darth Raven who was also a Jedi, he mastered the light & dark arts. if it's not him directly they could be using his story line with master Sol, he seems conflicted, be interesting to see how his story plays out  ..hey this is like Star Wars mafia wars trying to figure out who the bad guys are :4_joy: ..need to google Darth Raven and see if any rumours of him appearing in the Acolyte ha  

I'm familiar with Darth Raven from the KOTOR game and the Raven book from the Legends, but he was alive way earlier, no? Like, thousands of years before the events of the Acolyte, I think... If we're going down that path, canonization of Darth Tenebrous would make a lot of sense to me, and I would love to see that happen! In the legends, he was the master of Palpatine's master, and fits well into the timeline, too.

Sol is definitely hiding something, but in my opinion, it has to do with what the Jedi really did on that witches planet. It's pretty clear that the previous flashback episode was shown from Osha's point of view and her memories of the events (so potentially a version of events the Jedi wanted her to believe in), so we weren't shown what actually happened there. I am pretty sure the Jedi were responsible for the deaths of the witches and the destruction of the temple. One of the Jedis willingly drinking the poison and apologizing to Mae gives some further support to that theory, too. Something dark happened there, and the Jedi were directly involved with it. So my current guess is that Osha will found out what really happened there, find out it's all Jedi fault, turn to the dark side fully, and kill her former master Sol, becoming the Acolyte. 

By the way, there were Sith-like hooded figures standing in the room during the ritual of the witches in that flashback episode, and I think there were also some Sith-looking markings on the walls of that witch temple, too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection there, and maybe the witches even used some Sith rituals to create the twins!

4 hours ago, nudge said:

I'm familiar with Darth Raven from the KOTOR game and the Raven book from the Legends, but he was alive way earlier, no? Like, thousands of years before the events of the Acolyte, I think... If we're going down that path, canonization of Darth Tenebrous would make a lot of sense to me, and I would love to see that happen! In the legends, he was the master of Palpatine's master, and fits well into the timeline, too.

Sol is definitely hiding something, but in my opinion, it has to do with what the Jedi really did on that witches planet. It's pretty clear that the previous flashback episode was shown from Osha's point of view and her memories of the events (so potentially a version of events the Jedi wanted her to believe in), so we weren't shown what actually happened there. I am pretty sure the Jedi were responsible for the deaths of the witches and the destruction of the temple. One of the Jedis willingly drinking the poison and apologizing to Mae gives some further support to that theory, too. Something dark happened there, and the Jedi were directly involved with it. So my current guess is that Osha will found out what really happened there, find out it's all Jedi fault, turn to the dark side fully, and kill her former master Sol, becoming the Acolyte. 

By the way, there were Sith-like hooded figures standing in the room during the ritual of the witches in that flashback episode, and I think there were also some Sith-looking markings on the walls of that witch temple, too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection there, and maybe the witches even used some Sith rituals to create the twins!

Just checked the timeline and you are correct, for some reason I thought the Acolyte was set in his time and not 100 years before phantom 😂🙈 but..I googled if Raven would appear in the Acolyte and its a strong rumour that he will cast by Kanu Reeves 😯 like you just pointed out its the wrong timeline but he was one of the most powerful Sith/Jedi's who could heal himself maybe he worked out eternal life, bit of a stretch your theory sounds bang on the money and more plausible

I didn't notice the Sith in with the witches, will have to re watch that episode and pay more attention ha. 

Yes, was something about how they was born in a different way mentioned, think your bang on the money again. When did the rule of 2 come in though? seems like we could have alot of Sith running around at the moment 😂

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

A Sith cleansing the cast was the best thing about EP5. We all know that Mae is going to get what she wants and that's how the show will end S1. Either that or they'll totally flip the script, and the ex-Jedi becomes the Acolyte in the end when she learns the truth about the events that we've been shown. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Just checked the timeline and you are correct, for some reason I thought the Acolyte was set in his time and not 100 years before phantom 😂🙈 but..I googled if Raven would appear in the Acolyte and its a strong rumour that he will cast by Kanu Reeves 😯 like you just pointed out its the wrong timeline but he was one of the most powerful Sith/Jedi's who could heal himself maybe he worked out eternal life, bit of a stretch your theory sounds bang on the money and more plausible

I didn't notice the Sith in with the witches, will have to re watch that episode and pay more attention ha. 

Yes, was something about how they was born in a different way mentioned, think your bang on the money again. When did the rule of 2 come in though? seems like we could have alot of Sith running around at the moment 😂

The Rule of Two, the way I am familiar with it, came from Darth Bane, so also thousands of years before the show's timeline. Granted, it's only Legends and not Canon though, so changes to it would be fair play...

35 minutes ago, nudge said:

The Rule of Two, the way I am familiar with it, came from Darth Bane, so also thousands of years before the show's timeline. Granted, it's only Legends and not Canon though, so changes to it would be fair play...

It was also pretty common for Sith to break their own rules :4_joy: this is apparent in several examples from the Clone Wars through the Rebellion era, Darth Sidious takes on Darth Tyranus before Darth Maul is dead. You can even see that Darth Sidious began to court Darth Vader before Darth Tyranus was dead.

There were also instances of apprentices taking on their own apprentices that they keep hidden from their master. Darth Tyranus kind of takes on Asajj Ventriss during the Clone Wars. Darth Vader even takes on an apprentice codenamed Starkiller during the Dark Times.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

It was also pretty common for Sith to break their own rules :4_joy: this is apparent in several examples from the Clone Wars through the Rebellion era, Darth Sidious takes on Darth Tyranus before Darth Maul is dead. You can even see that Darth Sidious began to court Darth Vader before Darth Tyranus was dead.

There were also instances of apprentices taking on their own apprentices that they keep hidden from their master. Darth Tyranus kind of takes on Asajj Ventriss during the Clone Wars. Darth Vader even takes on an apprentice codenamed Starkiller during the Dark Times.

Yeah, the Sith kinda thrive in breaking the rules, lol. Like Qimir said, can't break the rules if you don't follow them xD 

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, the Sith kinda thrive in breaking the rules, lol. Like Qimir said, can't break the rules if you don't follow them xD 

"can't break the rules if you don't follow them" :35_thinking: ..i will try that the next time the police pull me over :4_joy::ph34r:

• Haha 1