talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Acolyte (2024)

football forums

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's the second most watched Star Wars show lol - I'm pretty sure all the idiots who review bombed it have actually ended up stoking the show's popularity. People knew the reviews were mostly bullshit, so they'd have to give the show a shot. And because it starts off with a bang and is actually a pretty good show in a basically untapped Star Wars setting... it's turned out to be quite a popular show.

Seems like most everyone who genuinely likes Star Wars also seem to genuinely like the show.

Let's be honest here and say that controversy helps fuel content stats. If you're always agreeing with things, you get nowhere on the internet and yes, there were some plot holes that make it less than adequate as a show. Is it flawed overall? Yes. Is it flawed so much at the core that you get nothing out of it? No.

I still don't fully understand why the Jedi did what they did even after they killed Sol and why they had to wipe out an entire coven but it drives the story and helps Osha turn the way she does at the end because let's face it she has zero motivation to go after Sol or the Jedi otherwise and the pacing of how she wanted to be a Jedi and now has decided to go the other way was all just setup for the finale.

Was it executed in the most SW fashion out there? No. Do I think the director shouldn't touch another SW franchise again? Yes. But, Disney have something good here and I really hope they do something with it because it's got all the elements to make it into a good show should they stay the course on the second half of the season. I also think fans need to step back and stop holding onto canon vs TV and just appreciate the interpretation of what someone else wants to push out. It isn't always going to be 100% lore perfect but that's the beauty of adaptations. As long as you keep the core intact and play around with the external elements you'll get something that people will like. 

On 19/07/2024 at 00:02, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's the second most watched Star Wars show lol - I'm pretty sure all the idiots who review bombed it have actually ended up stoking the show's popularity. People knew the reviews were mostly bullshit, so they'd have to give the show a shot. And because it starts off with a bang and is actually a pretty good show in a basically untapped Star Wars setting... it's turned out to be quite a popular show.

Seems like most everyone who genuinely likes Star Wars also seem to genuinely like the show.

https://luminatedata.com/blog/star-wars-struggles/

Compare total minutes watched for first 12 weeks of recent 'Star Wars' shows from May 31, 2024 to July 11, 2024; 'The Acolyte' only has 5.5 weeks of data.

The recent update of all 8 episodes had the acolytes total viewing minutes at less than half that of Ashoka.    It is the worst star wars series to date by some healthy margin. 

This was week one for all major D+ star wars IP's in minutes watched

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-the-acolyte-success-viewership-rotten-tomatoes/

On 20/07/2024 at 04:58, OrangeKhrush said:

https://luminatedata.com/blog/star-wars-struggles/

Compare total minutes watched for first 12 weeks of recent 'Star Wars' shows from May 31, 2024 to July 11, 2024; 'The Acolyte' only has 5.5 weeks of data.

The recent update of all 8 episodes had the acolytes total viewing minutes at less than half that of Ashoka.    It is the worst star wars series to date by some healthy margin. 

This was week one for all major D+ star wars IP's in minutes watched

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-the-acolyte-success-viewership-rotten-tomatoes/

It’s easily not the worst Star Wars series to date, I’ve watched both it and Ashoka, and Ashoka’s nearly unwatchable while this was actually a good Star Wars story.

According to that second link you’ve sent, Andor is the least watched Star Wars thing… and that one is honestly the best Star Wars show, other than Kenobi, that’s come out yet.

But I’m pretty sure I’d seen other data that showed it was the 2nd most viewed Star Wars show.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s easily not the worst Star Wars series to date, I’ve watched both it and Ashoka, and Ashoka’s nearly unwatchable while this was actually a good Star Wars story.

According to that second link you’ve sent, Andor is the least watched Star Wars thing… and that one is honestly the best Star Wars show, other than Kenobi, that’s come out yet.

But I’m pretty sure I’d seen other data that showed it was the 2nd most viewed Star Wars show.

I would agree that Ashoka was worse,  Andor also seems like a dud but we are not talking about a high bar.   The Acolyte was plagued with scripting,  the characters behaved like NPC's and many things didn't make sense.   I think it was a wasted opportunity. 

I think you may be referring to the opening week views,  that said Disney are rather sneaky on what they call viewing to boost that number.   total minutes watched is more indicative of how good a series is.   First episodes often get the highest viewing and then rapidly fall off if the series doesn't do well. 

Edited by OrangeKhrush

• 5 weeks later...