talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(R16) Romania 0-3 Netherlands - Tuesday 2nd July, 2024

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf we've hardly ever played Gakpo on the left, which seems to be his best position. Maybe with Slot we'll see him get a run out on the left over Diaz. Nunez at Uruguay makes sense, the side there is built for him being the main man - with us he's just another cog in our machine.

I hope Slot does take Gakpo out wide because hes been good on that side. 

Well, that was a million times better than the two dull affairs we saw yesterday.

Deserved win for the Netherlands. But I do feel a bit for Romania. They fought well, and were unlucky a few times, like when Felix Zwayer stopped a promising counter attack, even though there wasn't even a foul. But the Netherland's individual class was too much for them in the end. A very improved performance compared to their group games. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Michael said:

I wouldn't say they are bossing this. They got the goal sure, however Romania were the better side in the early part of this half, but since the Dutch scored, the Dutch have had most of the possession. But then again, most teams have the bulk of possession against Romania, because that's how Romania play. The Dutch haven't even created any clear cut chances since the goal. The Romanian keeper has had nothing to save.

I'm not sure I agree. Netherlands seemed comfortable and were carving up Romania, especially down the right. Dumfries had a fair few opportunities and space down the right and into the box. 

Agreed no clear cut chances, but enough to assert dominance and control the game. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I'm not sure I agree. Netherlands seemed comfortable and were carving up Romania, especially down the right. Dumfries had a fair few opportunities and space down the right and into the box. 

Agreed no clear cut chances, but enough to assert dominance and control the game. 

This is my point, Romania allow teams to attack them, they pack the defence and counter. They cram the defence and prevent clear chances because of that. But yeah, most of the possession was with the Dutch and getting the early goal was the key. 

• The title was changed to (R16) Romania 0-3 Netherlands - Tuesday 2nd July, 2024
  • The topic was unpinned