talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) Netherlands 2-1 Turkey - Saturday 6th July, 2024

The Dutch are frustrating to watch in front of goal. It's only during their games that I scream expletives at the television. They are somehow yet to figure out that they are more likely to score if they shoot first time than when they take an extra touch which gives the defenders time to throw themselves in front of the ball. 

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

Demiral banned for his Kevin Nash celebration. Will be a big miss for Turkey.

caused a bit of diplomatic row this incident and not unexpected if Turkish players do that celebration again.

Reminds of that eagle celebration Xhaka Shaqiri did back in the WC against Serbia that caused similar drama.

25 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

caused a bit of diplomatic row this incident and not unexpected if Turkish players do that celebration again.

Reminds of that eagle celebration Xhaka Shaqiri did back in the WC against Serbia that caused similar drama.

I think the Demiral one is more of an issue because it's associated with an extremist group rather than just being a symbol of a country.

Hard to say if he genuinely did it as a shout out to The Grey Wolves though. It's supposedly a symbol of Turkey even away from that group which is why it doesn't seem like it can be directly compared to a Nazi salute. Could he have genuinely done it just to mean "Yay Turkey" rather than "Turks are the master race, we're gonna kill everyone else"?

He seemingly hasn't said much to defend himself against the allegations from what I can tell.

1 minute ago, Beelzebub said:

Cross was good by Guler. The final should be between Spain and whoever is the winner of this match

Turkey playing a final in Berlin would be crazy in terms of atmosphere. It would probably be a home game for the turkish.

I actually wonder if the competition being in Germany isn´t giving Turkey a bit of an advantage in terms of fan support, considering how large the turkish community in Germany is.

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I actually wonder if the competition being in Germany isn´t giving Turkey a bit of an advantage in terms of fan support, considering how large the turkish community in Germany is.

That is a good point I remember @Tommy mentioning about more Turks than Germans being in the stadium in a friendly between the two in Germany earlier

Weghorst always provides a threat when teams decide to play route 1 football. Weghorst there creating his first threat with that assisted header that wasn't taken advantage of by the Dutch.

Arda Guler reminds me of James Rodríguez.

Love players like him, classic 10 whose technical gestures are all incredibly refined, great at creating chances and at set-pieces.

A breath of fresh air in today´s dry football.

Are these guys not supposed to get a Sporting degree before they can start managing teams.

Surely Koeman's degree would have said, this guy is a fuckin clueless moron.