talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2024/25 - Gameweek 3 - 31st Aug-1st Sept, 2024

That result is the worst of the lot for Everton despite a couple of hammerings to Brighton and Tottenham. Let’s be honest, both Brighton and Tottenham are better than Everton presently but the manner of the defeat to Bournemouth is going to plunge morale and confidence through the floor. 

• Subscriber

As long as the morale holds the overall performance is something to cling to. Ndiaye and Iroegbunam look like great additions, Calvert-Lewin doesn't look like he's going to sulk about his failed move and we still have Branthwaite to come back.

We had Bournemouth comfortably beaten and they're not one of the very worst teams in the league. Even Everton won't blow that position several more times this season.

It doesn't take much to stay in this league. You can comfortably afford to throw in 3 or more consecutive losses. It just seems worse when it's in the first three games but we did the same thing last year in very similar fashion, losing at home to Fulham and Wolves either side of a 4-0 drubbing at Villa. We're still here a year later after eating two points deductions as well.

I'd be far more concerned if Bournemouth had turned up yesterday, weathered the storm for 60 minutes, done us on the break and then got another late on to win 2-0. The players have shown themselves they can compete and win at this level again this season.

Yesterday was like doing your driving test, getting no minors all the way through and then failing because you crashed into a wall turning back into the test centre. It's easier to just not do the stupidest thing ever at the end of your test than it is to fix being a fundamentally hopeless driver.

• Subscriber

My main concern is the manager now really. He played a large, possibly decisive, role in the capitulation yesterday by not putting fresh legs on in key positions to match Bournemouth.

If he reflects on that and avoids the same mistake again, it'll be fine. If he's a stubborn goat about it and refuses to acknowledge it, he will make the same mistake again. And if he goes out in front of the press and throws the players under the bus instead of fronting up, he will lose the dressing room too, which will probably fuck us over for 2 months until his position becomes completely untenable and our ghost of an owner is forced to step in to make a change.

I like Dyche, he has his limitations but he's largely done a decent job under difficult circumstances so far. He isn't untouchable though and while I think those Everton fans who think we should just do a Brighton and find a young exciting manager from Germany or Spain are idiots if they think there's a coach out there who will get this squad playing progressive football and scoring goals for fun, I'm also not having that Dyche is the only man who can get them fit enough, solid enough and organised enough to get to ~40 points again.

• Administrator

Only watched from just after half time but barring a couple of long-range shots from Maddison and Porro, Newcastle looked comfortable. 

The goal was so simple. Maddison on a booking can't foul Joelinton. Then the high line from Spurs is almost too high, plenty of space to run in behind for a pacy Newcastle side. Then they just saw out the game professionally. 

Spurs should and could arguably do much better than having Johnson on their right wing. Gets in good positions but end product is lacking. 

Son was crowded out, and they didn't have much attacking threat considering they were chasing the game for the final 10-15 mins. 

Wasn't a great performance but it was a gutsy one,  Joelinton taking on the ball to draw Maddison into him then set up the counter transition with a incredible ball to Murphy who could have gone for goal and chose to tee up Isak for a tap in.    Overall we are putting points on the board early even if the performance have been scrappy.  

1) Schar returns will give us a better outlet than Krafth who was probably MOTM for me.

2) Tonali looks good and sharp

3) We have 7 points despite not really playing well

4) Barnes is a baller,  that finish was mint. 

5) Willock's injury is not bad

Crying about 7 points in 9 would be deluded. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Casemiro at fault again. 

Utd don't seem to have anything about them. Defensively weak, midfield mistakes, forwards non-existent. 

I don't know how they even finish top half. Their recruitment is surely the worst in Europe and they have so many bang average players in their best eleven. The manager doesn't seem to implement any patterns of play or tactics just like his predecessors. I honestly think it's a case of 1) having expensive players that do actually have moments of brilliance once in a while and 2) teams that could probably beat them giving them too much respect just because it's Man Utd. They're genuinely woeful.

What a fantastic half. Didnt even realize how 45 minutes passed. United seem to have 4 good defenders but they somehow keep conceding. Really need to get rid of Casemiro. Liverpool are playing brilliant but the squad is quite thin. Its a really long season and they dont have much backup especially in the back. Already the best game of the weekend. 

Edited by couscous

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd be fuming at Szoboszlai for not finishing that chance. Very unprofessional and lazy. 

Fuming for a missed chance when we’re comfortably 3-0 up? Maybe if it was tight but honestly nothing for any Liverpool fan to be fuming about today.

Great performance for a new manager at their first visit to Old Trafford. Comfortably dominated them.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fuming for a missed chance when we’re comfortably 3-0 up? Maybe if it was tight but honestly nothing for any Liverpool fan to be fuming about today.

Great performance for a new manager at their first visit to Old Trafford. Comfortably dominated them.

Maybe fuming was too harsh. But very annoyed if he's on my team not finishing it! Obviously not gonna change the result or outcome, so it'll be short lived, but just take the goal, don't take the piss. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe fuming was too harsh. But very annoyed if he's on my team not finishing it! Obviously not gonna change the result or outcome, so it'll be short lived, but just take the goal, don't take the piss. 

It’s always annoying when a player does it. But 3-0 up while your humiliating your biggest rivals in their backyard… fair play for trying to take the piss 🤣