• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pochettino: Diving Is A Lovely Trick & Referee Errors Are Beautiful

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

It seems he’s been 60+ or more forever! :ph34r:

On a serious note, dont think many managers will admit their players dove during a particular incident and by doing that they are only not admitting the mistake. But what Pochettino says is he wants the diving to be not eliminated which is completely different. 

In the first case its not being honest by lying that he didnt see and in the second has its supporting the dive by asking the officials to not try and minimise it. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Not seeing an incident  right after the game is actually quite normal but even if he saw a dive, saying he didn't see it really is different from saying a dive is a trick and it's no big deal. One signifies an acceptance it was wrong and not wanting to talk about it (or that he didn't actually see it which unless you saw replays already, is a fair thing to say) and the other signifies advocating cheating.

What I find interesting is that Pochettino starting to respond to Dele Alli catching heat for diving by mentioning how English players dive as well forgetting that an English player is being talked about...

It's obvious that Pochettino saw it as people having a go at him rather than just the player, and the reason he saw it as something against himself is because he obviously tells the players to go out there and cheat if necessary and it's like people are criticising his tactics when they criticise his divers. Even mentioned how he used to practice diving as a player to suggest it's normal.

The moron just came out and said this thinking people would go "yeah, fair enough". xD

It's not just the didn't see it though, he denies everything, refusing to acknowledge any wrongdoing on his sides behalf. Which for me is advocating it just as much - just not as openly.

Anyway I've already said in this topic I don't agree with Pochettino at all on diving. I do agree with him on VAR. But on diving I think he is wrong to suggest it, and you'll find a large portion of our fanbase don't agree either. I think it's stretching it to bring Kane into it, it's very different, Kane's a fantastic professional. 

I like our manager coming out and protecting his players, it's what any good manager over the years has done, but I think he was naive and misguided to say what he did - and I fully hope privately it's a different matter and Alli is warned against it. In the long run it will be to his and our detriment. 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

It's not just the didn't see it though, he denies everything, refusing to acknowledge any wrongdoing on his sides behalf. Which for me is advocating it just as much - just not as openly.

Not even close. One doesnt want to admit the incident while the other doesnt want the officials to punish for diving. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Alli is watched like a hawk. Hence so many bookings for dives. 

Yup - and wrongly denied a large number of fouls too because of it-  hence it being to his detriment 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Hardly watched like a hawk. A blind man on a flying horse could see what a sly, cheating, nasty little twerp he is. 

Very over the top.

Sure you said the same things over Suarez didn't you - a guy that beyond his diving used to bite and racially abuse people.

Get off your high horse 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Very over the top.

Sure you said the same things over Suarez didn't you - a guy that beyond his diving used to bite and racially abuse people.

Get off your high horse 

My flying horse?

Suarez was a cunt, never denied it. 

Racially abuse people xD

More like Fergie was afraid of us and our best player so told Evra to play the race card. 

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Very over the top.

Get off your high horse 

Madlad bought the Suarez Is Innocent t shirt so I doubt it. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

Pochettino didn’t say a dive shouldn’t be punished at all mate.

Mauricio Pochettino fears that English football’s tendency towards over-analysis, and its fixation on minor issues like diving, is slowly “killing the game”

Isnt that what it means in bold?

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Asura said:

Not even close. One doesnt want to admit the incident while the other doesnt want the officials to punish for diving. 

He didn't say that did he? Thought he said a booking was right but doesn't want the big furore over it?

Wenger honestly turns a blind eye to every sort of infringement by his team - as I said, people have short memories if they fail to remember Pires, Henry and a generation of Arsenal players that successfully conned referees on a regular basis. That's part of Poch's point, it's been part of football for a long time, and whilst it isn't right it's true.

The same thing has been said about us over the years, too honest, not enough bottle or sly tactics etc. - That's why this new Tottenham is such a step in the right direction for us. Every good side over the years has had that nastiness and players that play on the edge - you need it. Asides from diving, I like the mental aspect of things, the little digs etc. 

Just now, Asura said:

Mauricio Pochettino fears that English football’s tendency towards over-analysis, and its fixation on minor issues like diving, is slowly “killing the game”

It means what it says and nothing more.  Keep reading the article again mate...  He specifically says diving should be punished because it’s in the rules.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Asura said:

What he means is that it doesn't deserve such a big discussion ala this topic for example. Yes it's a booking, yes he accepts that - but he doesn't think it's as big a talking point as made out 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Breaking News: Spurs fan confused as to why Arsenal fan does not like Spurs.

Confused as to how someone can get such strong feelings without ever having experienced large parts of what rivalry is about? Not that confusing. I hate Arsenal and Chelsea, and could include West Ham, because of every day encounters with their fans, going to our matches with them etc. If I lived a long way away, didn't see the rivalries on a daily basis would I feel as strongly? I doubt it. Football is tribal, long distance doesn't really play in to that for me.

@SirBalon and @Storts I thought "Fixation" in english means fixing it, in other words try and fix the diving issue by punishing more seriously. I just googled and got to learn it has two meanings, the first one meant "excessive interest" and the second one "making stable" or in other words fixing the problem and this is what I thought he meant? 

Either ways I dont know why that shouldnt be a big discussion as it ruins the sport and the only folk that accepts is the ones whose teams benefit from them. 

Just now, Asura said:

@SirBalon and @Storts I thought "Fixation" in english means fixing it, in other words try and fix the diving issue by punishing more seriously. I just googled and got to learn it has two meanings, the first one meant "excessive interest" and the second one "making stable" or in other words fixing the problem and this is what I thought he meant? 

Either ways I dont know why that shouldnt be a big discussion as it ruins the sport and the only folk that accepts is the ones whose teams benefit from them. 

Fixation means over focusing mate.

• Subscriber
Just now, Asura said:

Ah fair enough - he meant excessive interest. 

I guess again the point is, does it really ruin the sport? It's been part of it for a very long, pochettino has fallen foul of it against England no less, I wouldn't say the sport is ruined 

Archived