talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace Discussion

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

He does a lot of community work that goes unnoticed, so it doesn't surprise me he's put some money in to something that will help the community.

This Stormzy guy is a Man United supporter so I like AFC Croydon already xD

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Stormzy grew up in Thornton Heath, which is the same area of Croydon that Wilfried Zaha grew up in.

Nice that 2 lads growing up in the same area and doing what they are doing for their community, we should hear more of that. :ay:

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Shaun Derry's rejoining the coaching staff. It adds weight to the rumours that Vieira removing him after his outburst at the players for the Everton result was the beginning of the end.

Obviously we (outsiders) all slagged the decision off at the time, and it did reek of a lack of long-term thinking, especially when you have gone back to Hodgson now, but what has come out in the wash since that lean towards his sacking being the correct decision?

12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Obviously we (outsiders) all slagged the decision off at the time, and it did reek of a lack of long-term thinking, especially when you have gone back to Hodgson now, but what has come out in the wash since that lean towards his sacking being the correct decision?

The main ones really been the treatment of Olise and Eze. From what's been said from people that would know what's going on, Patrick Vieira had a tough love approach with both of them, and Eze in particular looked destroyed of all belief and confidence as he played in a deep midfield role in Patrick's last game against Brighton. I think that's a big thing that caused Parish and Co to lose faith in the project.

Weirdly, the tough love he had with Eze and Olise was the opposite of how others were treated. The Athletic reported Shaun Derry was released (although Ambrose reckons hes always been on the pay role) because he ripped in to the senior players for there performance against Everton. Patrick didn't agree with it and removed him from the backroom staff. I imagine part of that was Vieira felt guilty for trying to push a 4-1-4-1 formation on the team which he changed after that match and Derry was the fall guy for a 'clean slate'. 

The one gripe I had with Vieira was his second half substitutions which was a situation that didn't improve over time. That said, from what Osian Roberts full job title was, he may not have been well advised by the experienced head next to him.

I still think its harsh we got rid of Vieira before the fixture turn but the results Roy got with Eze as the focal point justifies there decision. I'm glad he's gone to France, as if he went to a team like Forest in November and they went above us, the atmosphere would be very toxic.

13 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The main ones really been the treatment of Olise and Eze. From what's been said from people that would know what's going on, Patrick Vieira had a tough love approach with both of them, and Eze in particular looked destroyed of all belief and confidence as he played in a deep midfield role in Patrick's last game against Brighton. I think that's a big thing that caused Parish and Co to lose faith in the project.

Weirdly, the tough love he had with Eze and Olise was the opposite of how others were treated. The Athletic reported Shaun Derry was released (although Ambrose reckons hes always been on the pay role) because he ripped in to the senior players for there performance against Everton. Patrick didn't agree with it and removed him from the backroom staff. I imagine part of that was Vieira felt guilty for trying to push a 4-1-4-1 formation on the team which he changed after that match and Derry was the fall guy for a 'clean slate'. 

The one gripe I had with Vieira was his second half substitutions which was a situation that didn't improve over time. That said, from what Osian Roberts full job title was, he may not have been well advised by the experienced head next to him.

I still think its harsh we got rid of Vieira before the fixture turn but the results Roy got with Eze as the focal point justifies there decision. I'm glad he's gone to France, as if he went to a team like Forest in November and they went above us, the atmosphere would be very toxic.

Interesting, I feel like you have such a attacking unit away from Eze, Zaha and Olise that it'd be pretty mental to purposely manage any of them in a way that wasn't personally conducive to getting the best results from them. Great managers know which players to look after and which players to agitate.

It's interesting where you're at now because the playing staff must know they hold so much power over any potential future managers. Roy has the keys to the city as it were, so they couldn't oust him if they wanted to, but if a new manager came in, with your lack of investment and focus being on squeeze what you can out of what you have, what you have has to fully buy in to any new manager you may sign.

I'll be honest Vieira didn't massively excite me, it was cool to see how his teams would play and maybe if he could step up from previous jobs but his managerial career up until he took over you lot was fairly average. If he did take over a team in the Premier League I'm not sure he does a great job with them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Athletic are reporting its season over for Doucoure. Eze out for a month too.

On September 1st it was clear we were three attacking players light to challenge for the top half. Going in to January it looks like we're now six players away from having an adequate squad. A Ward replacement, any cover for Mitchell, better cover for Doucoure, a wide right midfielder, a Zaha replacement and a Benteke replacement.

Its amazing given the radical surgery we had to undergo in the Summer 2021, we're sleepwalking in to a similar scenario again by not addressing clear issues summer upon summer.

• 1 month later...

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/palace-bids-for-ronnie-rejected-and-league-two-club-chasing-jch-is-revealed-4464411

Supposedly we are nowhere near there valuation which is hardly surprising given how well Peterborough have routinely done at driving up valuation for young talent and our penny pinching philosophy whenever Roy is in charge. The fact that it's in the public domain is presumably an attempt to flush out other interest. West Ham have been interested previously.

If they do want the loan back they're going to have to compromise on the fee. He has 18 months left on his contract, 12 in the summer, and if they don't get promoted they'll be forced to sell because they are in financial problems. I'd imagine the reality is they would quite like the money for the deal with 18 months left rather than 12, but still want him because they could get promoted.

If we can't offload one of Tomkins or Ferguson I would be happy with a loan back. It sounds like Ronnie Edwards is a future England International and would be a great long term addition, but we've got too many defenders registered at present because we decided to keep the deadwood last summer and add to it with Rob Holding.

Our owner situation is still looking messy.

John Textor has made it known publicly he still wants to sell his 45% stake this season. He doesn't like not having the final say when he's the majority owner because of the other three don't agree with his long term philosophies.

What's new news this month is that potential bidders are put off by the fact they'd be passive investors as Steve Parish still has the final say in football matters.

Steve Parish has been a very good guardian for the club since we came out of administration. You could argue he's actually been exceptional to take the club from Championship relegation favourites to mid level Premier League for a decade and becoming the spokesperson for the 14 clubs against the greedy six. 

I'm sure he will do what's best for the club, but him selling his 10% or losing his majority could have ramifications for everybody given his influence in chairman PL meetings.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Palace looking dreadful today. Two different teams when Olise is in the team versus out of it. Eze not up to the same standard.

Eze is half fit at the minute. I'm anticipating an improvement against the three promoted teams.

But yes, we're dreadful, I don't know where we go from here. We needed strong leadership and bold decisions last summer. Now we're paying the price for this.

On 20/01/2024 at 17:00, The Palace Fan said:

Eze is half fit at the minute. I'm anticipating an improvement against the three promoted teams.

But yes, we're dreadful, I don't know where we go from here. We needed strong leadership and bold decisions last summer. Now we're paying the price for this.

I like Eze and at his best he is really magnetic, but the more I watch him the more I see quite a big difference between him and Olise whereas I used to think they were a lot closer.

On 22/01/2024 at 16:25, Danny said:

I like Eze and at his best he is really magnetic, but the more I watch him the more I see quite a big difference between him and Olise whereas I used to think they were a lot closer.

Yeah, Olise definitely has the higher ceiling. Even more so when you factor in the age difference.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/23/roy-hodgson-on-thin-ice-after-discussions-with-palace-chairman

I imagine Parish's ideal scenario is he lands 2 or 3 players Roy will be happy to integrate quickly and Rob Edwards becomes available in the summer.

Apparently youre linked with Cooper? If true then you really are being run cluelessly