talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Richarlison Joins Everton for £40m

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

This thread has turned into a bit of a farce really so I thought I’d try and find some opinions from prople who’ve watched Richarlison more than us lot. 

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/richarlison-to-europes-elite-cough-everton.54433/

That thread title xD.

I've only read the last page and they seem to be fair enough, he divides a bit of opinion.

The thing is, people are obsessed with basing whether someone was or wasn't worth their transfer fee after their first season. I highly doubt Richarlison will be as good next season as a 26 year old player in his prime who we could have got for £40m.

That shouldn't be how we measure it though, it might that Richarlison has a patchy season this time around and everyone goes RoFlMaO Evatonarentdey wasting money again, but if you sign a 21 year old player for that money (or any money) you need to give it at least 3 seasons I'd say before making a judgement on the transfer. The only exception is if they really flop and aren't even good enough to get on the pitch.

He's a £20m player now probably. If he develops into a £35m-£40m player then this is an alright deal, and even if he doesn't actually improve much, market inflation will take his value part of the way there anyway. There's at least a slim chance he develops into more than that which would end up making this good business in a few years time. Not that anyone will acknowledge if that's the case though because if he doesn't score 15 goals in his first season then the clickbait knee jerk social media hive mind will decide he's a flop after one season and probably rewrite history to make the transfer fee £50m again while they're at it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

That thread title xD.

I've only read the last page and they seem to be fair enough, he divides a bit of opinion.

The thing is, people are obsessed with basing whether someone was or wasn't worth their transfer fee after their first season. I highly doubt Richarlison will be as good next season as a 26 year old player in his prime who we could have got for £40m.

That shouldn't be how we measure it though, it might that Richarlison has a patchy season this time around and everyone goes RoFlMaO Evatonarentdey wasting money again, but if you sign a 21 year old player for that money (or any money) you need to give it at least 3 seasons I'd say before making a judgement on the transfer. The only exception is if they really flop and aren't even good enough to get on the pitch.

He's a £20m player now probably. If he develops into a £35m-£40m player then this is an alright deal, and even if he doesn't actually improve much, market inflation will take his value part of the way there anyway. There's at least a slim chance he develops into more than that which would end up making this good business in a few years time. Not that anyone will acknowledge if that's the case though because if he doesn't score 15 goals in his first season then the clickbait knee jerk social media hive mind will decide he's a flop after one season and probably rewrite history to make the transfer fee £50m again while they're at it.

The issue is there will be an immediate expectation because of the fee regardless of his potential to have an immediate impact. If you want a deal that's judged over a sustained period of time such as three years you sign somebody like Jairo Riedewald in his late teens for seven figures. Not a player for fourty million.

It's going to be interesting to see how he copes with that expectation as he certainly struggled for two thirds of last season. Because of the fee, this season is going to be crucial for his long term confidence, and it could create a World Class international in the making or break him.

The fee aside, the patience gap will be narrowed because he's already had a year to adapt to the league. Lamela for example got away with having a year to adapt to a big cultural change. Richarlison has had that opportunity already.

The player I'm surprised you haven't gone for is Doucoure as a squad player. He had a whole season of looking composed and consistent.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

How is Riedewald out of interest @The Palace Fan? An absolute monster for my Internazionale side on FM17 yet I've not heard a peep out of him since he signed for you?

He's 21 now. He's one of these 'trendy' ball playing versatile players that can play everywhere but nobody knows where his best position is.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The player I'm surprised you haven't gone for is Doucoure as a squad player. He had a whole season of looking composed and consistent.

He already said he doesnt see the point of moving to Everton 😂

Everton need defenders, and desperately. Plus a striker who can score.

It's been confirmed. At 20-25 million I would be hailing this as a good signing but unfortunately the fee does increase the expectation. I expect if Everton finish on a similar points total as last season the style of football and this transfer will be used as key points of discussion to determine whether Marco Silva has had a successful season.

I really haven't seen much of Richy Rich to make a judgement on him, but that's a lot of money on someone who scored 8 goals last season?

Best hope Silva can get the best out of him all season.

• Subscriber

Let's get a couple of defenders in and see how this goes then. Hopefully people don't go full retard and expect the world from this lad in his first season. He's 21 so I expect to see 40m potential this season, and an actual 40m player (though inflation will probably make it 70m by then) surface at some point during the 2020-21 season, though the pessimist in me wonders whether Silva and Richarlison will be anything more than another irritating memory by then. Hopefully not.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Let's get a couple of defenders in and see how this goes then. Hopefully people don't go full retard and expect the world from this lad in his first season. He's 21 so I expect to see 40m potential this season, and an actual 40m player (though inflation will probably make it 70m by then) surface at some point during the 2020-21 season, though the pessimist in me wonders whether Silva and Richarlison will be anything more than another irritating memory by then. Hopefully not.

Bit worrying that Richarlison's "blowing cold" period coincided with Silva's? Do you think Silva will do well this season?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Bit worrying that Richarlison's "blowing cold" period coincided with Silva's? Do you think Silva will do well this season?

I think Silva will do alright. Actually in your first part I think it's the opposite for us, in the short term at least, Silva got the best out of him so having them together at Everton should be a good thing.

On the other hand you have the accusation hanging over both of their heads about downing tools when Silva firstly didn't get his way in leaving Watford for Everton. Apparently he had already spoken to players including Richarlison about bringing them to Everton with him and his clear desire to leave demoralised their players. When Silva left I think Richarlison was accused of sulking for the rest of the season. Obviously none of us know what goes on behind the scenes but there were enough rumours about that situation that it's hard to believe there aren't at least elements of truth to it.

It's good that they both wanted to join Everton but it does raise concerns about what happens in a couple of years if things go well and the same thing happens to us when another opportunity to make a step up offers itself to one or both of them. I guess if that happens it will mean they've done something good for Everton first and after the last few years I will be more than happy to take that trade-off.

In Richarlisons defence, one thing I hadn't realised about last season was that he actually played 18 months without a break. He joined Watford having already played the first half of the 2018 Brazilian season then played a full Premier League campaign which can't be easy in a new country you've arrived in at the age of 20. Hopefully his dip was more to do with that than being unable to perform without Silva baby sitting him but if not then at least for now Silva hopefully gets him back on form.

I'm satisfied with the signing, and will just have to try and get over the fee. Don't know if it's speculation, PR or perhaps partially true but some have said that part of the reason for the overpayment is to make Watford's accusations towards us "go away". You never know really do you... Like I said at the start, 40m is definitely an overpayment whereas 50m would have been a scandal.

Overall considering his relationship with Silva and the reports that Marcel Brands also wanted to bring Richarlison to PSV when he was there means that the club clearly think for one reason or another that this lad is potentially a big part of our future and until we see evidence to the contrary I will trust the club in their decision.

• 4 weeks later...

https://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/ultimas-noticias/2018/08/20/frustrado-sem-convocacao-richarlison-mira-artilharia-e-danca-com-mina.htm

This says he was waiting to see if he was called up to the Brazil side... and discovered he wasn't. But that a player called "Everton" had been called up to his position. Given how much of a moron Tite is, I wonder if he's just fucked up and called the wrong player up because of his name.

• Subscriber

No rush for him, he's 21 and getting called up as one of 25 or so players for Brazil is a pretty big deal after all. A Brazil call up would be amusing though as it's another thing to ask Merson and co about following their sensationalist comments at the end of the transfer deadline.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived