talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Granit Xhaka

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I think he's alright, though that's based on a lot less analysis than others. Seems to me like another easy scapegoat at times.

Well seeing as he’s a midfielder and adding the fact most of our defensive issues start and finish in that area... Who are we to blame?

The options in reference to the usual starters...

- Granit Xhaka

- Mesut Özil

- Alex Iwobi

- Some of the other ones that play

or there’s another option...

- The coach

Or maybe it’s nobody’s fault and just unlucky or maybe it’s everyone’s fault and they’re all crap!

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Well seeing as he’s a midfielder and adding the fact most of our defensive issues start and finish in that area... Who are we to blame?

The options in reference to the usual starters...

- Granit Xhaka

- Mesut Özil

- Alex Iwobi

- Some of the other ones that play

or there’s another option...

- The coach

Or maybe it’s nobody’s fault and just unlucky or maybe it’s everyone’s fault and they’re all crap!

They're probably not "crap" as Arsenal finish in the top six every season. They're probably just all not good enough for the next step up to the top four.

Some centre halves that can actually run and or defend for a start might help Arsenal address their defensive issues so they don't have to for some reason constantly blame midfielders and attackers who actually have other roles to play in the team instead? :what:

31 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

They're probably not "crap" as Arsenal finish in the top six every season. They're probably just all not good enough for the next step up to the top four.

Some centre halves that can actually run and or defend for a start might help Arsenal address their defensive issues so they don't have to for some reason constantly blame midfielders and attackers who actually have other roles to play in the team instead? :what:

The resources Arsenal have and more importantly, have had forever don't justify a challenge for a top six or top four position.  It's a genuine challenge for the league and also performing in the Champions League.  Plus, I'm not one to dissect central defenders or the defence in general unless there is something serious at hand.  That's easy!  The defending is done by a unit and the midfield are the defence and also the attack mate.  If you have a great midfield you will be challenging for honours even if you have regular forwards and decent defenders.

• Administrator

Obviously don't watch all their games and only see highlights, and I don't rate him that much but I don't see how Guendouzi starts with him this season. They're too similar a player? The thing with Xhaka is the proneness to being a bit over-aggressive as a weakness, and then the strength is his ability to smash in a goal from just outside the box (all his goals for Arsenal have come from outside the area?). They kind of negate each other in a weakness/strength argument in my opinion.

On 11/09/2018 at 16:09, Cicero said:

He has. Bloke turns into Pirlo every time they play us. 

He was afforded a lot of space though at the same time given the way we set up under Conte and added to this the fact that we’d let Arsenal have possession. Given the space though he still was pretty careless on the ball at times. 

Archived