talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m

The MLS is also not that popular here, but given there are more South Americans that play internationally there, people are more familiar. In this case the MLS does trump the championship because the population in South America is bigger than that of the UK. That doesn't mean much but it does support my "more people can name Atlanta's team than Leeds" point in some ways.

At the end of the day, it matters what the authorities of these clubs think, not the fans, so there we will have to disagree. In terms of better known players though, then yes the MLS does beat the Championship in many ways. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Blue said:

The MLS is also not that popular here, but given there are more South Americans that play internationally there, people are more familiar. In this case the MLS does trump the championship because the population in South America is bigger than that of the UK. That doesn't mean much but it does support my "more people can name Atlanta's team than Leeds" point in some ways.

At the end of the day, it matters what the authorities of these clubs think, not the fans, so there we will have to disagree. In terms of better known players though, then yes the MLS does beat the Championship in many ways. 

Do we have bigger names? Absolutely with the likes of Ibra. 

But overall, the Championship is more talented, and that's just a fact. I think it's fair to say that elite players will go where the money and prestige is at the highest, and that's the Championship compared to the MLS. If Josef or Almiron walked down the street, a few would notice them, but not many, and that's just different in England. 

Just now, Eco said:

Do we have bigger names? Absolutely with the likes of Ibra. 

But overall, the Championship is more talented, and that's just a fact. I think it's fair to say that elite players will go where the money and prestige is at the highest, and that's the Championship compared to the MLS. If Josef or Almiron walked down the street, a few would notice them, but not many, and that's just different in England. 

Well yes, that's one argument. Of course it's not everything, I doubt clubs check in the middle east a whole lot compared to other leagues but I think the MLS being a part of the worlds super power really helps them.

I live in a district with all the Peruvian footballers. I've even run into Paolo Guerrero not too long ago, I could be well wrong but I don't think the impact of any player walking down the street is huge unless they are some super star. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Well yes, that's one argument. Of course it's not everything, I doubt clubs check in the middle east a whole lot compared to other leagues but I think the MLS being a part of the worlds super power really helps them.

I live in a district with all the Peruvian footballers. I've even run into Paolo Guerrero not too long ago, I could be well wrong but I don't think the impact of any player walking down the street is huge unless they are some super star. 

We can all agree on one thing, and that's the fact that the MLS is getting better and better, and the fact that we got Pity, just makes it even better. 

• The title was changed to Miguel Almiron Moves to Newcastle for £20m
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Happy Birthday Buddy. Is he an Atlanta fan too?

Well, kind of. He watches, but knows I'm a Season Ticket holder. 

I guess I told him how excited I was for Almiron's appearance, that he went out and got me ready. 

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

I really cannot imagine him at Atletico. He's been in form since the games resumed but before that, he'd only scored 2 goals in the Premier League. Strange player to be linked with for Atletico.

1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

I really cannot imagine him at Atletico. He's been in form since the games resumed but before that, he'd only scored 2 goals in the Premier League. Strange player to be linked with for Atletico.

He was playing on the wing before lockdown. He's now playing as a number 10, that's why he's doubled his tally in recent weeks.

Was excellent in his first few months. Declined in the first half of this season when we were utter shit house. Picked up since Christmas and now contributing to end product since going to a number 10 role. I think Eco will tell you that was always his best position.

Might be early days for a link to Atletico but wouldn't be surprised if they've at least got him on a watch list.

Holy shit. 

@Harvsky is right, he is a natural 10 and works best there. Even when he was here, we would try his hand at different positions from the 10 is where she excelled. 

Atletico Madrid? That's massive even if it is just a rumor. I hope he continue to show his talent in Europe and I'm glad he is finally coming around at Newcastle. Maybe he'll go to Real Madrid though and follow in the footsteps of Santiago Muñez in his rise to stardom. 

40 minutes ago, Eco said:

Holy shit. 

@Harvsky is right, he is a natural 10 and works best there. Even when he was here, we would try his hand at different positions from the 10 is where she excelled. 

She? I thought that girl in the Knight before Christmas just looked like Miggy, I didn't realise it was Miggy :o

Archived