Round 05: Spain

football forum

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

A boring race as usual in Barcelona...

Brilliant start by Hamilton got him the win. Mercedes are just dominating this year.

Ferrari screwed up as usual and it doesn't look like their upgraded PU is much of an improvement... Also absolutely rubbish strategy calls. Complete clusterfuck of a team.

Good job by Max to finish on the podium ahead of both Seb and Charles. Also very impressed with his patience in the first corner where he backed out to observe the fight between the top three and then capitalised on Vettel's lock up. RB seem to have closed the gap to Ferrari but Gasly still fails to deliver.

Toro Rosso and Haas both pretty impressive in terms of car performance levels. It's a pity Alex couldn't overtake Grosjean there and get another point for himself in the end though. Kvyat with a good race.

Expected a bit more from McLaren to be honest... Sainz getting into the points was a combination of his great last stint and the safety car; otherwise the race pace was far from impressive. 

Renault's PU upgrade for reliability might be working; both cars finishing without any technical issues. Still no real pace and the car handling seems to be pretty poor.

A horrible weekend for Sauber... Not even Kimi managed to turn things around :( 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

As my first year watching F1...all I can say is wtf????

Yeah such one team domination certainly doesn't do any favours in attracting and keeping new spectators... 

But then everything Mercedes do is just spot on. Team management, car development, strategy, pit stops... Meanwhile, Ferrari are just a mess and keep screwing themselves in one way or another every race weekend. The rest of the field just can't compete financially. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah such one team domination certainly doesn't do any favours in attracting and keeping new spectators... 

But then everything Mercedes do is just spot on. Team management, car development, strategy, pit stops... Meanwhile, Ferrari are just a mess and keep screwing themselves in one way or another every race weekend. The rest of the field just can't compete financially. 

Which means that the sport is only interesting really between 6th and the bottom two (aka Williams). The rest of the field is set in one order or another. 

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I don't mind the Mercedes domination, it's not like they are PSG and have bought their way to success. They have got where they are for the reasons @nudge mentioned, they are an amazing force that doesn't seem to be going away.

I'm sorry - but when it's not even competitive, it's boring. 

Safety car came out today and within 2 laps both Mercedes were ahead by 3 seconds already. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Which means that the sport is only interesting really between 6th and the bottom two (aka Williams). The rest of the field is set in one order or another. 

It looks like RB could be able to challenge Ferrari for the rest of the season; although I'm not sure how good their car is for real - whether Verstappen's performances are flattering and the car isn't that great or the car is indeed good and Gasly is just extremely underperforming... 

Still, even with RB potentially challenging Ferrari for P3 and P4 every race as well as for the second place in the Constructor's standings, the Championship definitely gets boring when one team enjoys such dominance as Mercedes do with 1-2 five times in a row so far this season... That's not good for attracting interest but I'm not sure what could be done. You can't penalise a team just because it is much better than their competition...

55 minutes ago, nudge said:

It looks like RB could be able to challenge Ferrari for the rest of the season; although I'm not sure how good their car is for real - whether Verstappen's performances are flattering and the car isn't that great or the car is indeed good and Gasly is just extremely underperforming... 

Still, even with RB potentially challenging Ferrari for P3 and P4 every race as well as for the second place in the Constructor's standings, the Championship definitely gets boring when one team enjoys such dominance as Mercedes do with 1-2 five times in a row so far this season... That's not good for attracting interest but I'm not sure what could be done. You can't penalise a team just because it is much better than their competition...

No - you certainly can't do anything. Just part of the sport. 

It's like Watching Serie A FFS. 

Question is what has happened to Ferrari? Have they sacrificed some down force/cornering speed for more straight line speed? Either they have gone backwards or Merc have pushed on.

Archived