• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

12 Horrifying Aspects of a Queen Bee's Life

football forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Ha ha so you got a fare few. Any problems with them hovering around your space?

None, they are non aggressive, They do freak my granddaughter out though when she is playing at the back.. I also have this long standing battle with my other half about the bramble bush that grows at the back and over my pond, It grows at a rate of knots over the summer but the Bees love it, they come from all over the place to it, I could probably count about 5 different types of Bees that use it.. 

She keeps telling me to cut it back more vigorously but I have made it out of bounds and told her I will run off with the woman next door if she attempts to trim it back further in my absence... 

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

So they not as aggressive as the African bees, are the numbers growing in your hive? Could you tolerate it if they numbers got really high? 

To be honest I have never been to Africa to do a comparison report but native Bees are non aggressive, Unlike wasps they will die if they sting you because the sting barb pulls the abdomen off the bee and it kills them so I suspect they will only get at you if you disturb the nest.. I don't have a hive it's a nest, a Bumblebee nest so there are not thousands of them or anything unless you are sitting by the bramble bush then there are quite a few coming and going but they are from all over. The ones this year have made a nest under the corner slab of the wall in the far corner and they come and go all day... Impossible to say how many without counting them as they fly past.. not a job I would fancy to be honest, some nests can have up to 300-400 depending on the size and space they occupy 

• Subscriber

I would imagine wasps are completely different than bees, I can remember two summer's ago wasps kept appearing in this second floor flat and we started to close the window as it was getting that bad and I noticed that they kept appearing on our kitchen window sill and were dying and I noticed they were coming through our fan extractor above the kitchen window, so I closed the extractor vents hoping that would stop the problem, no joy in that one as they still kept appearing.

I then said to the wife there must be a nest outside the communal back lawn somewhere and I will have a look around and noticed our downstairs neighbours back garden wasps appearing in and out of the outside vent above our kitchen window, I contacted the neighbour and asked him to have a look for me as he was a window cleaner and had a set of ladders, he climbed up and had a look and got down the ladder quick smart and said there were loads of them in the vent.

I ended up calling the council pest control who sent a guy out, had a look and then said he would have to destroy the nest inside the vent as they were breeding fast, he told us to close our kitchen window and air-vent as he would have to spray powder inside the nest which he did, he then said they would now die off and any wasps outside would not come back to the nest because of the powder and dead wasps lying around, never had a problem again since then.

12 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

And you thought your job was bad... 

Love Bees... Save the Bees people!!! Got a nest in the garden this year which I am happy about, didn't have any last year but had 2 the year before 

I'd even go as far as saying to save wasps as well. Yes they are horrible little bastards and much more aggressive than the species of bees we have here, but they are equally as important as bees. Great pollinators.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'd even go as far as saying to save wasps as well. Yes they are horrible little bastards and much more aggressive than the species of bees we have here, but they are equally as important as bees. Great pollinators.

Some species are more aggressive than the others but inherently, they only get aggressive if they deem you to be a threat... Granted they don't need much to get irritated. 

We had a nest somewhere in the garden years ago and at some point in summer the wasps where flying into the house and getting stuck in the voile curtains (the small holes in the net) on their way out. I used to remove and release at least a dozen of them every day; not a single one even tried to sting me. I know it's anecdotal evidence but I'd say it depends a lot on the temperament of the nest and the situation. 

Other than that, a world without bees and wasps would be by far worse. They have a huge impact on ecosystems and biodiversity. Insects in general are dying out at an alarming rate and it's going to have catastrophic consequences... Sixth mass extinction incoming.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with wasps, been stung about 8 times by them in my lifetime so we are not best buddies.. I hated them around me so much at one point while having a BBQ out in the garden one time one landed on my chicken and rather than just swat it away like any normal person I just picked up the whole plate contents and all and hurled it against the fence in anger... With Bees you can just side step them and they carry on their merry way but Wasps they dart around you waiting for an opportunity to get a sting in somewhere.. little fuckers

I thought I had made my peace with them having just left them alone even if they were around me and then last year while doing the garden project we found a nest in an old blanket under the table outside that had been there for ages and turns out we had a nest in it, I couldn't leave it as Leelah plays out there and I wasn't going to take the chance so had to try and move the whole thing into a plastic box.. I had a stick about 8 foot long to try and move it but even then a couple came darting out and got a couple of stings in my arm, there were so many I had to abandon it and leg it into the house out of harms way.. Had to incinerate the lot in the end, something I didn't want to do.. as you say, they are just as important as Bees, only more annoying

• Subscriber

I have never been stung by a Bee or a Wasp but the wife has and she is scared of them, I must admit I am not keen on wasps but I don't mind Bees, many a time one has buzzed towards the wife and she panics and I tell her just to stay still as it has smelt the perfume you have on or the colour of your clothes has attracted them thinking you are a flower and it will go away, which she did and the Bee just buzzed away.

People may see a Bee lying still on the ground and think they are dead but a lot of time they are not and just dehydrated and exhausted from being busy flying around and they need a sweet drink, I found this one and took a photo on my mobile 2 years ago lying on the lawn outside and I knew it was alive so I legged it into the kitchen and got a wee teaspoon and filled it with warm water and some sugar and went back outside and put it under the Bee.

It crawled slowly towards the warm sweet water and had a drink then after a while it began to flap its wings and shot off into the wild blue yonder, lovely to see that.   

download.png.22f1df4c7cea94f28a0c6ba1fc94d8d7.png

Archived