Fortuna Düsseldorf vs Erzgebirge Aue
Borussia Dortmund vs Borussia Mönchengladbach
Hertha Berlin vs Dynamo Dresden
St. Pauli vs Eintracht Frankfurt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really expect Union Berlin to bring much to tomorrow's match at Freiburg, but then again, I"m not sure what Freiburg will be doing as both teams are surely putting a much high emphasis on the table than this cup. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Don't really expect Union Berlin to bring much to tomorrow's match at Freiburg, but then again, I"m not sure what Freiburg will be doing as both teams are surely putting a much high emphasis on the table than this cup. 

You clearly underrate the siignificance of DFB-Pokal, all clubs are more likely to play their first teams then in say the Europa league. Germany isn't Italy or Spain.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You clearly underrate the siignificance of DFB-Pokal, all clubs are more likely to play their first teams then in say the Europa league. Germany isn't Italy or Spain.

Maybe, but Union's main goal has to be to remain in the Bundesliga. Freiburg have their fans thinking Europe might be possible. Both group of fans, I imagine, would rather get those wishes instead of making it to let's say the quarter finals of the cup. 

24 minutes ago, Eco said:

Maybe, but Union's main goal has to be to remain in the Bundesliga. Freiburg have their fans thinking Europe might be possible. Both group of fans, I imagine, would rather get those wishes instead of making it to let's say the quarter finals of the cup. 

If Freiburg fans are dreaming about Europe, what I doubt at this point, now that only little more than a quarter of the season is played, then winning the DFB-Pokal is a legit way of qualifying for these games. Union Berlin on the other hand can't throw away the financial incentives of qualifying for the next round with a potential big attendance and affiliated payday, since they're not bedded on roses financially. Also the cup is traditionally seen as a possibility to gain confidence and maintain match practice, which is important for the league matches, so would be surprised if one of those clubs weren't taking it seriously.

33 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

If Freiburg fans are dreaming about Europe, what I doubt at this point, now that only little more than a quarter of the season is played, then winning the DFB-Pokal is a legit way of qualifying for these games. Union Berlin on the other hand can't throw away the financial incentives of qualifying for the next round with a potential big attendance and affiliated payday, since they're not bedded on roses financially. Also the cup is traditionally seen as a possibility to gain confidence and maintain match practice, which is important for the league matches, so would be surprised if one of those clubs weren't taking it seriously.

Good to know really. I haven't paid much attention to this cup in past years, but I have watched enough of the Cups in England and Italy to understand that no one seems to take it seriously until their are maybe 8 teams remaining. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived