talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David Luiz - Chelsea Defender Signs For Arsenal

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Not if you watch him at United.

The Giroud comparison is a shocker mate. I rate Giroud but he's played for Arsenal and Chelsea and has he ever hit double figures in a Premier League season?

Lukaku was a contender for the golden boot twice playing for Everton. When he was younger and hungrier his pace and power was second to none and he'd gobble up nearly any defender in a one on one scenario.

I think it's incredibly harsh to judge what potential he has on his time at United, even if his poor form there is primarily his own fault.

Giroud's hit double figures in the Premier League in every full season he's had with Arsenal. Goal scoring isn't his main strength though, he's a striker who makes the players around him better. He does a lot of ball winning, holding up and he's a great link up player. It's why he was integral to France winning the World Cup despite not scoring a goal.

Lukaku doesn't really do much for the team if he's not scoring and his general play not being great really gets exposed when he's not scoring.

The main issue with Lukaku for me is that for some reason he thought it'd be a great idea to go from being a tall but quite athletic striker to being an Akinfenwa tribute act. Unnecessarily bulking up and looking tired after every sprint.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Frank made a massive mistake ! Zouma looked awful in the united game ! Luiz may come back to haunt him! Rangers had something similar when Ally McCoist a club legend,icon just was a god took over rangers when we basically had lost everything ! he couldn't turn down his boyhood club just like Lampard he takes over when Chelsea are restricted with the transfer ban and I think it may just be a bad thing for him. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, MrDevyJaxx said:

I think Frank made a massive mistake ! Zouma looked awful in the united game ! Luiz may come back to haunt him! Rangers had something similar when Ally McCoist a club legend,icon just was a god took over rangers when we basically had lost everything ! he couldn't turn down his boyhood club just like Lampard he takes over when Chelsea are restricted with the transfer ban and I think it may just be a bad thing for him. 

Welcome to the forums!

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

He doesn't have the positional awareness for that role.

Disagree. Did just fine when we won the league and made TOTS. System hid his defensive flaws while at the same time showed his strengths in cleaning up when either Dave or Cahill we’re out of position. 

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Disagree. Did just fine when we won the league and made TOTS. System hid his defensive flaws while at the same time showed his strengths in cleaning up when either Dave or Cahill we’re out of position. 

Disagree. He doesn't have the awareness to transition attack to defence, and defence to attack. Sweeping isn't just cleaning up in a lower block than the rest of the defence, it is also transitioning and Luiz is too aggressive for that role. He closes down far too much and loses possession constantly. Just because he is a technical and athletic player doesn't mean he has the ability to play sweeper.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

Disagree. He doesn't have the awareness to transition attack to defence, and defence to attack. Sweeping isn't just cleaning up in a lower block than the rest of the defence, it is also transitioning and Luiz is too aggressive for that role. He closes down far too much and loses possession constantly. Just because he is a technical and athletic player doesn't mean he has the ability to play sweeper.

Yeah I’m going to need you to further elaborate on how you think David Luiz, a player who won the league and made TOTS playing as a sweeper, isn’t fit to play sweeper. The transition and possession aspect specifically because I’m honestly struggling how it applies to Luiz. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Yeah I’m going to need you to further elaborate on how you think David Luiz, a player who won the league and made TOTS playing as a sweeper, isn’t fit to play sweeper. The transition and possession aspect specifically because I’m honestly struggling how it applies to Luiz. 

Well for starters, I disagree that he even played sweeper and secondly rampaging up the middle and launching a long pass to no one is a bad transition, a trademark from Luiz.

Zouma did have a bad game against United and the defense was pretty shaky after conceding the second no doubt about it, however having Luiz there would do very little to change things around or prevent the goals. It was a team defeat so i can't say much more than that.

• Subscriber

Zouma was also part of the defence who kept more clean sheets than anyone apart from City in the second half of last season. If he settles, which he may or may not, the ball at your feet stuff will improve, probably not to the world class level that Chelsea require admittedly, but wait and see, he'll be perfectly decent this season I reckon.

Archived