• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 2-2 Tottenham - Saturday 17th August, 2019

football forum

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

But you can’t take away facts. Offside by a yard or a mm is offside. First you start letting it go, then you might as well not have goal line technology as you could say the ball is almost over the line,  it not by 1mm but we’ll let you have it. You either embrace all of it or none of it. Change the rules by all means, but offside is a decision based on fact, not interpretation.

The offside rule was never introduced to stop players gaining a mm advantage though. That's my issue with VAR and offside. Use it for clear and obvious errors such as the Liverpool one at West Ham last season (first example that comes to mind), not to decide whether a players pube is offside.

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Sterling’s ‘shoulder’ was ahead of play. Correct call as it is legal to score with your shoulder. :what:

Oh so his shoulder was offside?

Hmm, as I said, pathetic. 

Football as we know it is fucking dead. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Oh so his shoulder was offside?

Hmm, as I said, pathetic. 

Football as we know it is fucking dead. 

Willing to bet that you've complained when a goal has been given against Liverpool because a player is marginally offside and you've wondered where the flag was from the lino...

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Willing to bet that you've complained when a goal has been given against Liverpool because a player is marginally offside and you've wondered where the flag was from the lino...

Well how do you explain me thinking the decision against Sterling was pathetic when in theory I should be laughing my bollocks off?

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Well how do you explain me thinking the decision against Sterling was pathetic when in theory I should be laughing my bollocks off?

My point being that pre-VAR you'd be complaining when a player is marginally offside when they've gone on to score. Like most fans would anyway. Now that VAR is here to iron out such decisions/goals, you/they don't like it.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

You might like robotic football with every decision being bang on regardless of what it's doing to the game. 

Not for me though luv.

So long as correct decisions are made, I’m fully on board with VAR. The concept is sound. It’s the application that needs working and I’m fully expecting it to be improved on. 

Just now, Stan said:

My point being that pre-VAR you'd be complaining when a player is marginally offside when they've gone on to score. Like most fans would anyway. Now that VAR is here to iron out such decisions/goals, you/they don't like it.

I prefer the odd marginal human mistake than this shit. It appears that the players and managers do too. Not to mention the match going fans. 

It's a farce and its ruining the game. 

Just now, Cicero said:

So long as correct decisions are made, I’m fully on board with VAR. the concept is sound. It’s the application that needs working and I’m fully expecting it to be improved on. 

Cant stand it personally. Much prefer football as it was in it's natural format. 

Fuck this ' let's check everything just in case' bollocks.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I prefer the odd marginal human mistake than this shit. It appears that the players and managers do too. Not to mention the match going fans. 

It's a farce and its ruining the game. 

As a match-going fan I'd like to disagree :P 

As @Danny said this isn't a VAR thing - it's the rules of the game you're debating, technically.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

I think it should just be feet or head, shoulders and hips getting you offside is too much for me

Not VARs fault though 

The rules and VAR are both entwined. Just go back to footballs original format and it will be much more enjoyable (as it was) before all this shite.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

The rules and VAR are both entwined. Just go back to footballs original format and it will be much more enjoyable (as it was) before all this shite.

The referees and the rules are entwined, let’s just watch players kick the shit out of each other constantly 😂

1 minute ago, Stan said:

As a match-going fan I'd like to disagree :P 

As @Danny said this isn't a VAR thing - it's the rules of the game you're debating, technically.

Almost every player and every manager asked about VAR has said they preferred football as it should be. Its shite, it spoils the moment and its killing the passion. 

But hey ho, so long as someone with their eyelash offside is called out then what's the problem? 9_9

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

The referees and the rules are entwined, let’s just watch players kick the shit out of each other constantly 😂

Better than the game been stopped after every exciting moment 'just to check' if anyone did anything wrong. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Better than the game been stopped after every exciting moment 'just to check' if anyone did anything wrong. 

This will inevitably be improved on. How can you seriously think this is the finished product? 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Then we decide when and how we want to use VAR but in this instance it’s not been a problem, the definition of offside has

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

This will inevitably be improved on. How can you seriously think this is the finished product? 

I dont think it's the finished product. I just think it should be scrapped altogether. 

I preffered football as it was, not something America would produce. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I dont think it's the finished product. I just think it should be scrapped altogether. 

I preffered football as it was, not something America would produce. 

Right. Well the moment someone is called offsides because of his fingernail or eyelash, believe me I’ll be agreeing with you. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Almost every player and every manager asked about VAR has said they preferred football as it should be. Its shite, it spoils the moment and its killing the passion. 

But hey ho, so long as someone with their eyelash offside is called out then what's the problem? 9_9

Okay, I'm gonna open this can of worms because it's simply not true. Just not the case. 

Here's a few snippets/examples:

So I think VAR at its best - and it still needs to be honed to make sure it's at its best and that might take a period of time - to give the referees more eyes to get decisions right is a no-brainer. - Frank Lampard https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48051342

But from my professional perspective, I like the feeling of a right decision coming. It's a penalty or not a penalty, it's handball or not handball, it's a red card or not a red card. I think a fair decision is a feeling that I like - Jose Mourinho https://www.newsweek.co.uk/premier-league-managers-divide-opinion-var-535279

"I think we have to try and analyze if it's possible to help the sport to make better decisions, even for the referee. We have to try using video technology in the Premier League. In every single team sport technology helps us to make better decisions. Why not [in] football? - Mauricio Pellegrino https://www.newsweek.co.uk/premier-league-managers-divide-opinion-var-535279

If we can have something that helps the referees to take a better decision I am happy to see it in a good way. - Carlos Carvahal

England have good referees. If we review the mistakes, we have less mistakes. If they can do their job better with the help of technology, we must try to help the referees. So, for me, it's important we help the referees. - Javi Gracia

For penalties and free-kicks, it's good. Same for red cards. I think it's the new revolution in football, it's good for football." - Marouane Fellaini after the last World Cup

"It has brought a good honest assessment of what happens in the box. More situations are being punished. - Roberto Martinez

'It's been one of the most entertaining World Cups in a while, especially with VAR. It brings a different entertainment. When there are penalty shouts and the ref makes that (VAR) sign, it brings another element. It's exciting. - Raheem Sterling https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784088-how-the-players-feel-about-use-of-var-at-the-world-cup

Now obviously I don't think it's all 100% right now and I'm well aware there's several managers/players who don't like it. It's dividing. It's polarising. But let's not act like everyone is against the use of VAR in the game.

43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Okay, I'm gonna open this can of worms because it's simply not true. Just not the case. 

Here's a few snippets/examples:

So I think VAR at its best - and it still needs to be honed to make sure it's at its best and that might take a period of time - to give the referees more eyes to get decisions right is a no-brainer. - Frank Lampard https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48051342

But from my professional perspective, I like the feeling of a right decision coming. It's a penalty or not a penalty, it's handball or not handball, it's a red card or not a red card. I think a fair decision is a feeling that I like - Jose Mourinho https://www.newsweek.co.uk/premier-league-managers-divide-opinion-var-535279

"I think we have to try and analyze if it's possible to help the sport to make better decisions, even for the referee. We have to try using video technology in the Premier League. In every single team sport technology helps us to make better decisions. Why not [in] football? - Mauricio Pellegrino https://www.newsweek.co.uk/premier-league-managers-divide-opinion-var-535279

If we can have something that helps the referees to take a better decision I am happy to see it in a good way. - Carlos Carvahal

England have good referees. If we review the mistakes, we have less mistakes. If they can do their job better with the help of technology, we must try to help the referees. So, for me, it's important we help the referees. - Javi Gracia

For penalties and free-kicks, it's good. Same for red cards. I think it's the new revolution in football, it's good for football." - Marouane Fellaini after the last World Cup

"It has brought a good honest assessment of what happens in the box. More situations are being punished. - Roberto Martinez

'It's been one of the most entertaining World Cups in a while, especially with VAR. It brings a different entertainment. When there are penalty shouts and the ref makes that (VAR) sign, it brings another element. It's exciting. - Raheem Sterling https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784088-how-the-players-feel-about-use-of-var-at-the-world-cup

Now obviously I don't think it's all 100% right now and I'm well aware there's several managers/players who don't like it. It's dividing. It's polarising. But let's not act like everyone is against the use of VAR in the game.

I know one thing, we didn't have all this bollocks after every game before VAR. 

I've watched football with passion since the early 80's and I've never been as deflated with it as I am now. 

It's just so American. 

Football isn't a game of perfections, it's about passion, heat of the moment, dubious decisions and all that goes with it.

Soon there will be no passion, no heat of the moment stuff, no dubious decisions, and nothing that goes with all that. It will be robotic.

VAR and the stupid over-complicated rules is taking everything that's good about football (in an age where money and greed is spoiling it anyway, is rife), totally away. 

It's seriously spoiling it for me. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Taking their time a bit aren't they? VAR has been around for 2+ years.

Archived