talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cricket

football forum

7 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Indias slimy little cunt captain has gone and got his coach sacked with them on top of the ranking and Pujara back in form.

You'll be 5th or 6th again soon.

Nah! this Indian team is too good to be 5th or 6th.Never mind their batting but Indian fast bowling hasn't been that good for a while now.Only some serious feuds and fights within players can hurt this team.

We have seen worse feuds in the team, this is nothing. Ganguly ( & most of the seniors) vs Chappell was way worse. Even Dhoni (while struggling overseas in Tests) going behind Gambhir's back and kicking him out of the team, because the board wanted to make Gambhir the captain, etc was also a worse feud. And these are just the recent ones. Back in the time, Sachin had problems with Azhar, Kapil and Gavaskar clashed, etc.

Anyway, I have nothing against Kumble (he is legend), but he only got the job because the people choosing the coach were his best buddies (Sachin, Ganguly and Laxman). Ravi Shasri (who might again get the job) was doing a lovely job till then, and wanted to continue. Apparently his presentation was also superb, but Kumble got the job. 

I believe, that in cricket, the captain is more important than the coach. So, Kohli will get his way here, because he has shown himself to be a capable captain. And this is not new. Dhoni got Fletcher the job, because he wanted a 'yes man', which is what Fletcher was during his time with the team. At least, Shastri has shown to aid the captain and present good ideas (without being a yes man), instead of imposing his views on the captain. And like Kirsten (who was awesome) he was a good man-manager. I hope Shastri or Sanjay Bangar or even Lalchand Rajput get the job, over the others. Or maybe even Moody.

Kohli should be more worried about Rohit Sharma and Ashwin, because there is going to come a time when Kohli might start to fail, and those two blokes might show an interest in captaining the side. Rohit has a done a terrific job with the Mumbai's IPL team. With Ashwin's failings in the limited overs formats, Rohit seems to be the biggest threat. And unlike Rahane (our current vice-captain and a quieter version of Dravid), Rohit is ambitious and vocal.

• Upvote 1

If a captain isn't performing well with bat/ball but he is doing his job as a captain and the team is winning then his position as a captain is not under a threat if the team is Australia,England,SA etc

But if it is a subcontinental team then senior players will gang up on him to rip him off the captaincy. 

• Administrator

Great news for Afghanistan and Ireland. If you look at the success and competition Bangladesh has provided since they got test status then this is only a good thing for the game. 

• Administrator

Live cricket to be shown on BBC from 2020 (first time since 2005) and Sky Sports looking to create a standalone cricket channel for their coverage. Glad they beat BT Sport to it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/06/30/exclusive-live-cricket-will-return-bbc-sky-keeps-hold-rights/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Anyone else here watching the women's world cup? 

Apart from the top teams, the rest unfortunate to say, look worse than school kids. 

On a lighter note. Afridi, after playing cricket for so many years, doesn't know that 'LBW' stands for Leg Before Wicket. Vintage Afridi.xD

• Administrator

turning out to be an interesting game between SA and England in the first test at Lords. 

England started today 119-1 but have collapsed a little to 155-5 and now only lead by approximately 250. I'm sure Root would have wanted to be in a position to consolidate for a bit but also pick up runs at a fair rate before tea and declare to put SA in bat to chase a hard target. Looks like a different challenge now for England with the game in SA's hands. SA can't let England get away like they did in the first innings. 

• Administrator

while I thought the play might go in to a 2nd day, the inexperience and just lack of quality for SA showed today. Comprehensively beaten and as bad as SA were, England were very good and simply got the job done. Bit of weight off Root's shoulders in his first game as captain. 

I saw West Indies surprisingly beat India in the T20 match on Sunday xD But in the ODI series India demolished us. India are a seriously great cricketing country, sometimes it feels like they have too much talent for their own good haha, kind of like Spain and Germany in football

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Messiesta said:

I saw West Indies surprisingly beat India in the T20 match on Sunday xD But in the ODI series India demolished us. India are a seriously great cricketing country, sometimes it feels like they have too much talent for their own good haha, kind of like Spain and Germany in football

we were doing well with our openers in the T20 but then massively collapsed. You smashed us. 

• Administrator

interesting watching the Monty Panesar bit at lunch on Sky between England vs SA.

He went to my school and I wonder if it touches on his alcoholic problems and wife-beating past :ph34r:. It wasn't just lack of all-round cricket ability that hindered his career...

On 7/13/2017 at 3:44 AM, IgnisExcubitor said:

Shastri back at the helm. All-round good appointment. Captain and the whole team is happy. But more importantly, Zaheer as the bowling coach/advisor seems like an even better appointment. 

@Messiesta

Windies would also have a seriously good side, if they solve those contract disputes.

I dont like Shastri as a coach, I think he is appointed only because he would be an yes man to Kohli. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Also don't know if it's been mentioned but fantastic that Ireland & Afghanistan are now full members, the more the merrier I'll now be supporting Nepal, Netherlands & Kenya, its good for the game

definitely agree. Seen the effect it's had on Bangladesh's game in all forms and as you say will only be good for the game. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
19 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

We actually have an entertaining test on our hands, possibly embarrassing for England against the Windies but I'd rather this than an annilhilation.

Moeen Ali clawing the test back in England's favour. As a number 8, he's really good. Definitely England's to lose now. Can't see WIndies getting anywhere near the total today tbh. 

• Administrator

How wrong I was xD

West Indies need about 60 to win from minimum 15 overs. 

Braithwaite and Hope, just like first innings, have been superb. Blackwood is going crazy in supporting Hope xD. Smacking Anderson for 6.

This final day has been in keeping with the whole test. Brilliant to watch and has been in the balance consistently. Great stuff. 

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned