• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Bundesliga 2019/20 - [20. Spieltag] - 31st January - 2nd February, 2020

Recommended Posts

all kick-offs 14.30 (GMT) unless stated

Friday 31st January, 2020
Hertha Berlin vs Schalke, 19.30

Saturday 1st February, 2020
Mainz vs Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund vs Union Berlin
Augsburg vs Werder Bremen
Fortuna Dusseldorf vs Eintracht Frankfurt
Hoffenheim vs Bayer Leverkusen
RB Leipzig vs Borussia Monchengladbach, 17.30

Sunday 2nd February, 2020
Koln vs Freiburg
Paderborn vs Wolfsburg, 17.00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First match since I go to Fortuna games regularly without Friedhelm. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Woltemade, a 17 year old striker from our youth ranks gets his Bundesliga debut in the starting XI against Augsburg today :o

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A poor game so far by both sides. We're lucky to have a 1-0 lead after a bit of a slapstick own goal by Augsburg; also their goal shouldn't have stood as it was not a foul imo. Toprak -Vogt - Moisander at the back look pretty good; Selke and Woltemade upfront make a decent impression so far as well. Sahin finally with a better performance.

.Klaassen has been so disappointing lately though. Should have a few games on the bench but sadly we have no one to replace him in the starting XI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another loss yet again... 1 shot on target throughout 90 minutes. ONE. Against Augsburg. Pathetic. 

Kohfeldt seems to be a repeat of his predecessors after all. 1.5 great seasons; everyone gets excited and then it's back to the same old shite again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gladbach :D 

Plea! Nice move from Gladbach's attack to pass it across and wait for the right opportune moment to shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gladbach score a second goal through Hofmann and now lead 2-0 away to RB Leipzig. This was always going to be a tough match between these two top table clubs. But I thought Gladbach were set up well formation wise for this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nudge said:

And another loss yet again... 1 shot on target throughout 90 minutes. ONE. Against Augsburg. Pathetic. 

Kohfeldt seems to be a repeat of his predecessors after all. 1.5 great seasons; everyone gets excited and then it's back to the same old shite again. 

To be honest Werder should be doing much better with the team that they have. Losing to Augsburg after taking the lead sums up Werder's season so far and scenarios like this really shouldn't be happening. I personally think that Werder should bring in a more experienced manager, who can help them avoid relegation with his experience. Woltermade looks a really good prospect, but starting a kid upfront in games where Werder need every point they can get, is probably not the wisest move.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2020 at 09:32, Tommy said:

First match since I go to Fortuna games regularly without Friedhelm. :(

I thought the draw was a fair outcome in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Michael said:

To be honest Werder should be doing much better with the team that they have. Losing to Augsburg after taking the lead sums up Werder's season so far and scenarios like this really shouldn't be happening. I personally think that Werder should bring in a more experienced manager, who can help them avoid relegation with his experience. Woltermade looks a really good prospect, but starting a kid upfront in games where Werder need every point they can get, is probably not the wisest move.

 

Personally  I didn't mind him starting Woltemade as Osako was atrocious in the last few matches that he started, Sargent and Jojo Eggestein were just as bas and Pizarro can't manage for more than 30 minutes; so it's not that choosing Woltemade was any worse than any of them. But it's more the general lack of ideas going forward and lack of concept altogether. We barely create anything from the midfield; it's pretty much all long balls towards Rashica and now also Selke. My biggest wtf moment with Kohfeldt today was his substitutions though. Bartels for Woltemade was ok (although questionable as he hadn't played football regularly for over a year; would have much preferred Pizarro who can hold the ball and is always good for a clever pass or a cheeky goal at the end of the match) but then Groß for Sahin to build a back four with four centre backs while we were still leading 1-0??? Just shows that we never learn from our mistakes; we were never any good at defending our lead and weakening the midfield just to have more numbers at the back (all pretty slow too) was always going to end badly. 

And I agree; considering the squad we have we should definitely be doing better. Injuries are certainly not helping (e.g. we didn't have a single fullback available today) but it's nevertheless extremely disappointing. 

I have a very bad feeling about the outcome of this season. Next match against Union is a must win; then we have the likes of Leipzig, BVB, Leverkusen and then later Gladbach, Schalke and Bayern; not sure how many points can we take from the likes of Hertha, SGE, Freiburg or Wolfsburg either. The last two games against Mainz and Köln might as well be the ones that decide whether we stay up or get relegated... if that isn't decided earlier that is.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Personally  I didn't mind him starting Woltemade as Osako was atrocious in the last few matches that he started, Sargent and Jojo Eggestein were just as bas and Pizarro can't manage for more than 30 minutes; so it's not that choosing Woltemade was any worse than any of them. But it's more the general lack of ideas going forward and lack of concept altogether. We barely create anything from the midfield; it's pretty much all long balls towards Rashica and now also Selke. My biggest wtf moment with Kohfeldt today was his substitutions though. Bartels for Woltemade was ok (although questionable as he hadn't played football regularly for over a year; would have much preferred Pizarro who can hold the ball and is always good for a clever pass or a cheeky goal at the end of the match) but then Groß for Sahin to build a back four with four centre backs while we were still leading 1-0??? Just shows that we never learn from our mistakes; we were never any good at defending our lead and weakening the midfield just to have more numbers at the back (all pretty slow too) was always going to end badly. 

And I agree; considering the squad we have we should definitely be doing better. Injuries are certainly not helping (e.g. we didn't have a single fullback available today) but it's nevertheless extremely disappointing. 

I have a very bad feeling about the outcome of this season. Next match against Union is a must win; then we have the likes of Leipzig, BVB, Leverkusen and then later Gladbach, Schalke and Bayern; not sure how many points can we take from the likes of Hertha, SGE, Freiburg or Wolfsburg either. The last two games against Mainz and Köln might as well be the ones that decide whether we stay up or get relegated... if that isn't decided earlier that is.

Yes, Kohfeldt deciding to go all defensive to protect Werder's lead was a death sentence. With all due respect, but since when were Werder known for their defensive prowess, you'd have to go back 20 years for that. They have been an attacking side for ages and they should of tried to get a second rather than defend and invite Augsburg to attack them. 

To be honest, Werder's defenders are decent, but the defensive part of their midfield is almost non existent. That puts a lot of pressure on the defence.

The upcoming fixtures look very tough and it will really be up to the Werder players to stand up for themselves and be counted. Tonight's defeat was a huge blow in my view, because it's teams like Augsburg that Werder should be beating, or at least earning a draw, especially with Werder having taken the lead. It's not going to be easy, but I really do hope that Werder avoid relegation.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After entering half-time 2-0 down at home to Gladbach, RB Leipzig manager Nagelsmann decided to bring on Schick and Poulsen, two strikers for a defender Mukiele and a midfielder Forsberg and it seems to have done the trick. RB Leipzig have been much better this second half and have pulled a goal back through Patrik Schick. Furthermore, Gladbach have just had Alassane Plea sent off. 

It's all happening in Leipzig and it promises to be a very interesting last 25 minutes of the match. I suspect that RB Leipzig will find the equaliser with the pressure they are exerting on Gladbach. Perhaps they could even turn this match around and actually win it. They sure have the quality to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Michael said:

I thought the draw was a fair outcome in the end.

You're biased pro Frankfurt, though. As a neutral spectator I'd rather say Düsseldorf were the better team and deserved to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You're biased pro Frankfurt, though. As a neutral spectator I'd rather say Düsseldorf were the better team and deserved to win.

Well to be honest I thought it was a very poor game from both sides. Obviously as the home side, Dusseldorf had more of the possession, but they didn't create a lot of chances and neither did Frankfurt. It took a deflected free-kick from Ayhan to give Dusseldorf the lead. But Frankfurt looked for the equaliser after going a goal down and they got it in injury time. 

Maybe Dusseldorf showed more endeavour(which is to be expected from a home side) and if you think they deserved to win because of that then fair enough. But I thought both sides were poor to be honest, even though Dusseldorf had the edge. We just seem to be defending more in 2020 and looking to catch teams on the break. It worked in previous games, but we were poor this evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RB Leipzig's pressure pays off and they equalise through Nkuku in the dying minutes. It's 2-2 in Leipzig and it now looks like both these teams are going to share the spoils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael said:

I thought the draw was a fair outcome in the end.

What? We should have won that match for sure. Frankfurt was poor, and we played very well. Encouraging though, as the new coach's approach was clearly visible. We should have scored the 2 or 3-0 before Frankfurt had the chance to equalize. A big shame, but as I said, encouraging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

What? We should have won that match for sure. Frankfurt was poor, and we played very well. Encouraging though, as the new coach's approach was clearly visible. We should have scored the 2 or 3-0 before Frankfurt had the chance to equalize. A big shame, but as I said, encouraging. 

I always find it curious how the change of the manager almost always gives a boost to any team haha. 

How did Berisha do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nudge said:

I always find it curious how the change of the manager almost always gives a boost to any team haha. 

How did Berisha do?

He played very well, and assisted the disallowed 1-0. Very hard working, with a good eye. He was subbed off with an injury in the 75th minute. Didn't look too bad though. 

 

You wouldn't have thought that we signed him 2 days ago. He looked like he belonged there. :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

What? We should have won that match for sure. Frankfurt was poor, and we played very well. Encouraging though, as the new coach's approach was clearly visible. We should have scored the 2 or 3-0 before Frankfurt had the chance to equalize. A big shame, but as I said, encouraging. 

Yes, Frankfurt were poor and Dusseldorf had most of the possession, but you didn't create loads of clear cut chances. Hennings had a good chance and the disallowed goal was not given because it was offside. But Berisha is certainly a good addition to Dusseldorf, he will greatly improve that midfield of yours with his work ethic and ball distribution skills. 

As for Rosler, I was impressed with his managerial abilities since his stint as manager of Brentford. He loves to get his team to press the opposition and to get stuck in. He did well at Malmo last season as well, helping them finish 2nd in the Swedish League just one point behind the champions Djurgardens.

I think that Rosler was a great capture by Dusseldorf, he's just the kind of manager who could get them out of their dangerous predicament in the Bundesliga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have to mention the teenage phenomenon that is Haaland again. He scored 2 more goals today, taking his tally to 7 goals in 3 Bundesliga matches. Haaland really is a beast of a player and I think that he has taken Dortmund up a level, such is his positive influence on the field. I have praised Alcacer in the past for his finishing skills, but Haaland has so much more to his game as a player. He's a great finisher as well, but he is also very physically strong, he's good in the air and he's also excellent at holding up the ball for his team. 

Dortmund created a lot of chances during matches prior to the arrival of Haaland, but they also missed a fair few efforts as well. Haaland coming in has really made Dortmund a much more efficient side, which could be crucial for Dortmund in the big games they will play this season.

Edited by Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even Adi Hütter said that Frankfurt were lucky to get away with a point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Even Adi Hütter said that Frankfurt were lucky to get away with a point. 

Yes, when you are a goal down and you score a last minute equaliser three minutes into injury time, that is considered lucky by most accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koln seem to be continuing their good form, with Sebastiaan Bornauw scoring to give them a 1-0 lead over Freiburg at half-time. Koln have now won 4 of their last 5 Bundesliga matches. If they beat Freiburg today, it will be 5 wins in their last 6 Bundesliga games. Koln are certainly on form right now and they have sprung away from the danger zone down at the bottom of the Bundesliga as a result of their recent wins.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Up the Billy Goats. 

It's finished 4-0 to Koln! Bornauw, Cordoba, Ehizibue and Jakobs all scoring in a real team effort. Koln are really playing to their potential now and they are one of the most in form teams in the Bundesliga. Hassler, Littbarski and Illgner would be proud of that performance.

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Wolfsburg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Thanks, Wolfsburg. 

I second that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement