talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alien Covenant

football forum

Got my tickets for the pre screening tomorrow night and saw a 20min clip 2 weeks ago on the Prometheus screening. Although I feel they give too much away in the trailer, I'm looking forward to it. However, I really hope they return to the engineer storyline at some point.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Batard said:

God Prometheus disappointed me, I'm not getting my hopes up over this 

See, I'm in the camp where I believe it set up a whole new 'franchise' so to speak. I really enjoyed it, and the follow up clip they've released of them arriving at the Engineers planet was juicy.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

See, I'm in the camp where I believe it set up a whole new 'franchise' so to speak. I really enjoyed it, and the follow up clip they've released of them arriving at the Engineers planet was juicy.

I had incredibly high hopes for Prometheus but it felt rushed, disjointed with stuff that just didn't hang together at all. I have no expectations for this so I'm probably going to be pleasantly surprised 

Not really sure how you're supposed to suspend your 'disbelief' for an Alien film to be honest. People just like to have a fucking whinge and fell into the trap of thinking it was an Alien prequel. Scott is being moaned at for this one for it being an Alien rehash, yet was moaned at for Prometheus for not being an Alien rehash.

Having not seen the Alien films as an adult I loved Prometheus, but after watching Alien for the first time I realised Prometheus is by and large a remake up until the final scene or so of Prometheus. Obviously minus the big Alien too.

I was hoping for a Prometheus follow on, but it doesn't look like this will be and instead is going back to copying more of Alien.

On 10/05/2017 at 6:05 PM, DeadLinesman said:

Not really sure how you're supposed to suspend your 'disbelief' for an Alien film to be honest. People just like to have a fucking whinge and fell into the trap of thinking it was an Alien prequel. Scott is being moaned at for this one for it being an Alien rehash, yet was moaned at for Prometheus for not being an Alien rehash.

The best example when explaining suspension of disbelief is to compare Jurassic park 1 to 2.

In Jurassic park 1 a bunch of people, mostly scientists and paleontologists are put in a life threatening unprecedented situation. Many of them make mistakes (the lawyer running to the shitter, the doctor distracting the t rex with a flair and the hunter getting jumped by a raptor when he has studied their hunting patterns) But none of these things are unreasonable or jarring in such a way to damage your enjoyment or interpretation of the film.

Jurassic park 2 is a bad film with many jarring elements that make you disbelieve the characters and or the plot.

Vince Vaughn sabotaging the ingen camp, putting dozens of lives at immediate risk, and destroying the best way off the island for the sake of animal rights that he earlier said he doesn't care about.

30 men armed with assault rifles running from a T rex

Vince Vaughn removing bullets from the hunters gun, when the hunter would only have used it to protect the humans. This time dozens die because of it.

Prometheus is full of what the fuck moments like that, Running in a straight line from a falling spaceship, rather than running across it, 2 scientists fucking around with an alien snake for no reason, the android poisoning the drink with the alien goo for no explained reason, with no motivations to do so. Just really jarring head scratching shite that makes you wonder how dumb the film makers think the audience are. You can't immerse yourself when every 10 seconds you are shaking your head saying 'as if'.

• Subscriber
On 2017-5-10 at 9:05 AM, DeadLinesman said:

Spot on.

I loved the Alien films and watched them so many times growing up. Some of my all time favourites. I enjoyed Prometheus but think it deserves another watch before i watch this as i can't remember it all. Looking forward to watching this one though. 

13 hours ago, Tanksie said:

the android poisoning the drink with the alien goo for no explained reason, with no motivations to do so.

Fully explained in Covenant. Was a bit disappointed by it if I'm honest with myself. People doing stupid shit again......

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Spot on.

I loved the Alien films and watched them so many times growing up. Some of my all time favourites. I enjoyed Prometheus but think it deserves another watch before i watch this as i can't remember it all. Looking forward to watching this one though. 

I was one of the people who didn't want an Aliens rehash, what I hoped for was something that emulated the first Alien movie in terms of mood and setting. What I was presented with was a film that loosely attempts to join together some intriguing factors and lore but falling short in expectations.

The problem was that Scott wanted $300m to truly realise his vision ... his budget was set at $150m which means there were considerable compromises meaning a lot of the film isn't as he originally intended. Prometheus should be the dark and dirty prologue to Alien, instead it dismisses alot of the Sci-Fi he heralded in Alien - " O'Bannon said it came very close to how he wrote it. He thought it would be novel to show the horrendous, dangerous process of landing, with the ship groaning and shaking, wrenching, and was very gratified by how it came out on film."  - we didn't get that in Prometheus. 

That was my great disapppointment. It felt empty and overly polished. Which is a representation of my unrealistic expectations. 

I've been having a look at spoiler-free reviews and it's received quite a mixed reception. The original Alien is one of my favourite films for its ruthlessness and Aliens is a really engaging film. Every other film in the franchise after that suffered for a variety of reasons. Based on the trailer I'm hoping I'll enjoy it but I've not got high hopes.

• Subscriber

Thought it was entertaining and I didn't take it too seriously so I enjoyed it. Of course a lot of the fans are saying that most of the stuff in Prometheus that Scott used to create mystery simply got wiped away but I think they did all of that to build towards the next movie. Also was it just me or did the (xeno/proto/neo)morphs look a little underfed in this one?

Archived