talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Worst Result Of Your Country's History

football forum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my opinion on each countries worst ever result.

Brazil

The 7-1 loss vs Germany comes to mind, but a dark horse for that is their 1982 loss against Italy. Since then, Brazil was never the same.

Argentina

0-5 vs Colombia, easy one that.

England

1-0 vs USA in 1950 or the 2-1 loss vs Iceland I reckon.

Mexico

0-7 vs Chile

France

Losing to Senegal in 2002 maybe?

Italy

1966 vs North Korea.

Spain

I'm thinking 2002 vs South Korea

For England, the 2-1 loss to Iceland was the lowest and most embarrassed I've been as a fan. Luckily, I was on a cruise ship at the time so went to the bar afterward and got shitfaced so not all bad. 

It didn't really bother me, but back in 2003 England hosted a friendly against Australia and lost 3-1. It caused uproar at the time.

Just now, Whiskey said:

For England, the 2-1 loss to Iceland was the lowest and most embarrassed I've been as a fan. Luckily, I was on a cruise ship at the time so went to the bar afterward and got shitfaced so not all bad. 

It didn't really bother me, but back in 2003 England hosted a friendly against Australia and lost 3-1. It caused uproar at the time.

England 2-3 Croatia has to be up there too, surely?

6 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Here is my opinion on each countries worst ever result.

Brazil

The 7-1 loss vs Germany comes to mind, but a dark horse for that is their 1982 loss against Italy. Since then, Brazil was never the same.

Argentina

0-5 vs Colombia, easy one that.

England

1-0 vs USA in 1950 or the 2-1 loss vs Iceland I reckon.

Mexico

0-7 vs Chile

France

Losing to Senegal in 2002 maybe?

Italy

1966 vs North Korea.

Spain

I'm thinking 2002 vs South Korea

Ireland 0-1 Luxembourg 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Well... xD

Not sure if you read my OP.

But my dark horse is 3-2 vs Italy in 1982.

Brazil was humiliated vs Germany in a place where they never lose, but in my opinion since that World Cup Brazil has never been the same. 

Peru's worst result in my opinion is the 1961 loss against Colombia.

1962 World Cup was going to be hosted in Chile, who reserved us a spot in Arica, and we had to play vs a team of amateurs (Colombia wasn't anything back in the 1960's) and with our decent side we found a way to lose it.

Brazil 7-0 in the 1997 Copa was also tragic but we were with a B team.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Not sure if you read my OP.

But my dark horse is 3-2 vs Italy in 1982.

Brazil was humiliated vs Germany in a place where they never lose, but in my opinion since that World Cup Brazil has never been the same. 

Good mention. 1982 was way more consequential than the 7-1. It marked the defeat of the attacking football proposed by Telê Santana and a generation of defense-oriented coaches prevailed in brazilian football after it. 

But the Maracanazo was the worst of defeat of all, if you consider the impact it had not only in brazilian but also in brazilian society and in the lifes of the players involved, especially Barbosa, who was humiliated and ostracized his entire life because of his performance against Uruguay. 

He once told a documentary that the saddest moment of his life wasn’t that fateful day at the Maracana, but had actually come 20 years later. Barbosa said that he found himself at the local market when he witnessed a mother point at him and tell her child:

“Look at him, son. He is the man that made all of Brazil cry.” 

Moacir Barbosa: The goalkeeper who was condemned for life (theversed.com)

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Good mention. 1982 was way more consequential than the 7-1. It marked the defeat of the attacking football proposed by Telê Santana and a generation of defense-oriented coaches prevailed in brazilian football after it. 

But the Maracanazo was the worst of defeat of all, if you consider the impact it had not only in brazilian but also in brazilian society and in the lifes of the players involved, especially Barbosa, who was humiliated and ostracized his entire life because of his performance against Uruguay. 

Moacir Barbosa: The goalkeeper who was condemned for life (theversed.com)

Now that you mention it, you're right. Maracanazo was #1. My parents told me back then Brazilians committed suicide over certain losses and how these players couldn't live their lives anymore. It was a different society to now. I do think the 1982 loss vs Italy did a lot more long term damage to Brazilian football than the 7-1 could ever do. That was more of a wake up call if anything.

The 2002 WC was won by sheer quality rather than actual philosophy, and 1994 was similar but it was also helped by the fact Europeans don't tend to do well in World Cups hosted over in the America's.

Archived