talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - Sweden 1-2(aet) Ukraine - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've bought the tickets for this game, I'll be off to Glasgow and Hampden Park to watch this tie playout!:banana:

I was originally hoping to go to the England v Germany game at Wembley, which would have been a much shorter trip for me, but the tickets sold out on the official Euro 2020 website within minutes. So I will be heading north of the border to Glasgow instead, which should be an interesting experience.

The good news for Ukraine is that Zubkov should be back for this game. Having only played 10 minutes in this tournament, before having to be forced off with an injury, Ukraine will be happy with his return. His battling qualities and nose for goal, are an added bonus to the team. 

The media in Ukraine were scathing after Ukraine lost to Austria. That was probably one of the worst games that Ukraine have played in years. Their passing was terrible and there didn't seem to be any synergy between the players. These are two traits that they had in abundance during the qualification process. Their accurate passing ability, teamwork and fight are usually their strengths. Austria have to be given a lot of credit for their own performance, but Ukraine will really want to improve and play to their normal high standards against Sweden. They have to, because if they don't, they will be out.

Zubkov returning is a real boost. With his strength, energy and influence on the left flank, he should really enhance the side. Yaremchuk will start as the centre forward, flanked by Zubkov and Yarmolenko. Malinovskyi and Zinchenko will keep their places in midfield, but I am not sure if Stepanenko will be reinstalled in defensive midfield in place of Sydorchuk, I personally hope he is. I am not sure if Shevchenko will tinker with the defence, which has looked shaky at times against strong opposition, but that's what I suppose you get when you select an 18 year old in central defence. Regardless of Zabarnyi's talent, I think his inexperience has shown at times. 

Sweden have looked very strong in defence with Lindelof at the helm. Only the world class Lewandowski has managed to breach their defence so far at these Euros. The defensive midfielders Olsson and Ekdal work their socks off and Forsberg provides the creative spark from midfield. Up front Isak has proven to be a real handful and his skills are mesmerising at times. It will be interesting to see who partners him up front against Ukraine, will it be the veteran Berg or will it be the powerful forward Quaison.

I am looking forward to this well balanced match and I am of course hoping that Ukraine get back to their best and beat Sweden. I have a strong feeling that they will learn from their mistakes against Austria and deliver the goods against the Swedes. Come on Ukraine! :twothumbsup:

3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Can’t believe Jimmy Cranky is letting you travel if I’m honest.

Well I am already back in England, I arrived back in May. So all I have to do is cross the border into Scotland. I've actually never been to Scotland before(and I have travelled around the world quite a bit), so I am looking forward to visiting the country. My mum has been a couple of times when she was younger, but she went to Edinburgh, which I am told is much nicer. :ph34r: But I think Glasgow should be a cool city to visit, hopefully there is a good party atmosphere when I arrive. :hh:xD

The Ukrainian national team landed in Glasgow this morning, while I am still on the coach travelling up to Scotland, currently somewhere near the Lake District. On the team news front, Zubkov and Tsygankov are both recovering from calf injuries. As they will both be vying for the same position in the team, I guess the player who starts between them, will be the one who is most fit. 

The good news for Ukraine, is that Malinovskyi will be playing in his preferred position in central midfield and not out wide on the left, where he was forced to play against the Austrians. The young Shaparenko is likely to drop to the bench as a result, but I am sure he will be subbed on at some stage for his creativity and energy.

Sweden are also in Glasgow and both national teams will have training sessions later today at Hampden Park. As far as Ukraine are concerned, I am confident that they will find a hard fought victory, if they play like they have in previous big matches over the past couple of years. 

Unfortunately for Ukraine, it has been confirmed that Zubkov has still not recovered from his injury enough to play in this critical Round of 16 match against Sweden. So Tsygankov, who himself has had calf issues, will fill the problematic left wing position. It's widely expected that Tsygankov will be fit enough to play and start against the Swedes. That means that Malinovskyi and Zinchenko will play in the creative central midfield roles. It remains to be seen who will play in defensive midfield out of Stepanenko and Sydorchuk. But apart from that, the line-up is likely to be the following:

-----------------------------Buschan-----------------------------

Karavayev---Zabarnyi----Matviyenko---Mykolenko

--------------------Stepanenko(or Sydorchuk)-------------

------------Malinovskyi--------------------Zinchenko---------

Yarmolenko------------Yaremchuk-----------Tsygankov

Yaremchuk had a slight injury, but it's reported that he has recovered. His goal-scoring ability could be crucial for Ukraine against the Swedes. Ukraine's big name players Yaremchuk, Yarmolenko, Malinovskyi, Zinchenko and even Tsygankov have to step up their game tonight, if Ukraine are to get the better of this very solid and well organised Swedish team. The last time these two teams met in a competitive tournament was Euro 2012, where Ukraine defeated Sweden 2-1. I am hoping that they will manage to repeat a similar victory here in Glasgow this evening. :91_thumbsup:

I've got my digital ticket, I've got my digital matchday travelcard, but does anyone know how and when I can/will get my entry time slot? Will I receive my entry time slot after my ticket has been activated by a steward at the stadium?:35_thinking: If anyone knows more about this, please let me know. 

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I've got my digital ticket, I've got my digital matchday travelcard, but does anyone know how and when I can/will get my entry time slot? Will I receive my entry time slot after my ticket has been activated by a steward at the stadium?:35_thinking: If anyone knows more about this, please let me know. 

@Storts got tickets for England vs. Germany so maybe he knows. But he's probably already en route to Wembley. :52_fearful:

Just now, Tommy said:

@Storts got tickets for England vs. Germany so maybe he knows. But he's probably already en route to Wembley. :52_fearful:

Yeah, I posed this question to him earlier today, but he didn't answer, so I am presuming he wasn't online. Yeah, by now he'll be on his way or at the stadium. But the kick-off for the game I'm going to is 20:00 local time. But I just need to get this answered, there's not too much detail about it online. :S

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I've found the answer, it's all good. I need to be there between 18:30 and 19:00 ..... which means I might just miss the end of the England v Germany game... :/

Just now, Michael said:

I've found the answer, it's all good. I need to be there between 18:30 and 19:00 ..... which means I might just miss the end of the England v Germany game... :/

Small price to pay for seeing some live Euro action. :D

I did have a quick look on Twitter and a lot of people who have gone to previous games at Hampden have said it's quite relaxed and they have gone in after their entry slot, so even if you were a bit later, I'm sure you'd be fine.

11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Small price to pay for seeing some live Euro action. :D

As a German, you must know what the England v Germany fixture means. In England, this is arguably the biggest international fixture for us. I have to confess, as a kid I used to be split with my loyalties between the two national teams, as I was a huge admirer of the German international side, much to the ire of my late grandfather. He wasn't prejudiced(One of his best friends was German), just a bit patriotic, having served in the 2nd World War as a teenager. But I used to get stick for this from many other family members and friends as well as you can imagine. These days I support England, it's the only time I don't root for the German side. Today's game is going to be the biggest test for England so far at these Euros, as the German national team always seem to play their best when it matters most. :England:

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I did have a quick look on Twitter and a lot of people who have gone to previous games at Hampden have said it's quite relaxed and they have gone in after their entry slot, so even if you were a bit later, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Thanks for checking mate. They are only allowing about 25% capacity for the games at Hampden Park, so the stadium is hardly going to be full. It should still be an entertaining knockout match. If it's anything like yesterdays matches, I'll be a happy chappy. xD

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Have fun, @Michael! I will be rooting for the Swedes, simply because we need Augustinsson's market value to go up xD

I reckon the left flank of Sweden is where they can pose a lot of threat to Ukraine, with Forsberg and Augustinsson using their creativity and crossing ability. Hopefully Ukraine will have some sort of answer for the danger that they posses. Isak needs to be shackled as well.... I hope Ukraine win and Augustinsson's transfer market value plummets like Werder Bremen did in the league table the season just finished...:ph34r:xD

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Michael said:

I hope Ukraine win and Augustinsson's transfer market value plummets like Werder Bremen did in the league table the season just finished...:ph34r:xD

So mean... :43_slight_frown:

• Subscriber

Ok look, I don't mind if Augustinsson scores a hattrick, so long as Ukraine win... I think that's a fair compromise..:twothumbsup:

That's a deal, I can live with that xD

Ukraine will be wearing blue this evening, while Sweden will wear yellow. 

Anyway boys and girls, I am going to start to get ready to leave my hotel. Enjoy the matches today, I certainly will! :91_thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Michael said:

As a German, you must know what the England v Germany fixture means. In England, this is arguably the biggest international fixture for us. I have to confess, as a kid I used to be split with my loyalties between the two national teams, as I was a huge admirer of the German international side, much to the ire of my late grandfather. He wasn't prejudiced(One of his best friends was German), just a bit patriotic, having served in the 2nd World War as a teenager. But I used to get stick for this from many other family members and friends as well as you can imagine. These days I support England, it's the only time I don't root for the German side. Today's game is going to be the biggest test for England so far at these Euros, as the German national team always seem to play their best when it matters most. :England:

Shhhhh, you're Ukrainian. :ph34r:xD

Ah well, as mentioned previously, Germans don't see England as a main rival. It's either the Netherlands or Italy. But I'm looking forward to it nontheless. Not too bothered if we go out, but happy if we win. Funnily enough, as a kid I was a huge fan of the Dutch national team. Patrick Kluivert was my favourite player back then. :D

Have fun tonight! 

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Shhhhh, you're Ukrainian. :ph34r:xD

Ah well, as mentioned previously, Germans don't see England as a main rival. It's either the Netherlands or Italy. But I'm looking forward to it nontheless. Not too bothered if we go out, but happy if we win. Funnily enough, as a kid I was a huge fan of the Dutch national team. Patrick Kluivert was my favourite player back then. :D

Have fun tonight! 

Hopefully an honorary Ukrainian..:ph34r:xD

You enjoy the games today as well mate!:91_thumbsup:

• The title was changed to (Round of 16) - Sweden 1-2(aet) Ukraine - Tuesday 29th June, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived