talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Monza GP - 10-13th September

football forum

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Missed the sprint because I had a game, looks like Hamilton got a bad start and never caught up? Disastrous result for Mercedes really with Verstappen on pole, gives him half a chance but still think Lewis will find a way through with that pace advantage.

What was the McLaren pace like? Enough to challenge Max in the race?

Hamilton had a bad wheel spin at the start, and then couldn't overtake the McLaren's. Granted, he didn't try too hard, probably didn't want to take any unnecessary risks and was hoping that Norris and Ricciardo would struggle with soft tyres at the end of the race, but it never happened.

McLaren's were looking decent, but unless they can get Max at the start, I don't think they'll be able to challenge him. Bottas and Max built the gap quickly after the safety car.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I can't remember whether I read it here or elsewhere but I know there was some suggestion about Bottas taking a new engine this weekend with the timing being somehow strategic. Can someone tell me that I've misunderstood that or explain to me how it isn't an absolutely huge gaffe that has backfired and given Verstappen the chance to win the Italian Grand Prix when Bottas could have comfortably denied him, even with a worn engine?

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't remember whether I read it here or elsewhere but I know there was some suggestion about Bottas taking a new engine this weekend with the timing being somehow strategic. Can someone tell me that I've misunderstood that or explain to me how it isn't an absolutely huge gaffe that has backfired and given Verstappen the chance to win the Italian Grand Prix when Bottas could have comfortably denied him, even with a worn engine?

I get what you mean. Another reason Bottas getting pole backfiring is because not only did it put Lewis second. As Nudge stated, it also put Lewis on the dirty side of the track.

In both sprint races, Lewis has had shit starts.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I get what you mean. Another reason Bottas getting pole backfiring is because not only did it put Lewis second. As Nudge stated, it also put Lewis on the dirty side of the track.

In both sprint races, Lewis has had shit starts.

The dirty side is massive sometimes. It's also pretty ironic that all week we've been debating how Russell's move to Mercedes will go down and whether it's good for Hamilton and the team to have a partner who will threaten him more often, and Bottas just goes and beats him in qualifying and putting Lewis on the back foot when this weekend should have been a slam dunk for him.

13 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The dirty side is massive sometimes. It's also pretty ironic that all week we've been debating how Russell's move to Mercedes will go down and whether it's good for Hamilton and the team to have a partner who will threaten him more often, and Bottas just goes and beats him in qualifying and putting Lewis on the back foot when this weekend should have been a slam dunk for him.

The start was really bad, 3 cars dusting him. As you've not seen it yet, you may not know that Gasly was also ahead of Lewis. But luckily for Lewis, Gasly spun off due to contact on the first corner with a McLaren driver.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, MUFC said:

The start was really bad, 3 cars dusting him. As you've not seen it yet, you may not know that Gasly was also ahead of Lewis. But luckily for Lewis, Gasly spun off due to contact on the first corner with a McLaren driver.

Yeah I watched the highlights. Unlucky for him.

What do we all think of the sprint format overall? I don't hate it, and qualifying on a Friday evening is sort of cool (though it felt really flat this time), but I don't think it really adds enough overall to make it worth pissing around with the traditional format that has stood for decades.

I still think the solution for F1 is to bring back the ground effect downforce to allow cars to follow more closely and then you can fuck off the DRS push to pass overtakes and enjoy the racing again. I understand the safety concerns but I also wouldn't be against bringing back refuelling to mix up strategy. This sprint race is a bit of a gimmick and it doesn't seem to go beyond just having two race starts instead of one, there's very little in the format that enables good racing or entertainment.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah I watched the highlights. Unlucky for him.

What do we all think of the sprint format overall? I don't hate it, and qualifying on a Friday evening is sort of cool (though it felt really flat this time), but I don't think it really adds enough overall to make it worth pissing around with the traditional format that has stood for decades.

I still think the solution for F1 is to bring back the ground effect downforce to allow cars to follow more closely and then you can fuck off the DRS push to pass overtakes and enjoy the racing again. I understand the safety concerns but I also wouldn't be against bringing back refuelling to mix up strategy. This sprint race is a bit of a gimmick and it doesn't seem to go beyond just having two race starts instead of one, there's very little in the format that enables good racing or entertainment.

Sprint race hasn't been anything special. I hope the new design allows them to follow closer next season. If it does, then maybe DRS can see it's way out.

I think we have one more sprint race this season in Brazil. It's trial and error. So far I'll lean to it being more towards the error side.

Due to it being close between Max and Lewis. Anyone else get agitated round an hour before the race? Kind of nervy and on edge. Generally just wanting the race to start.

Me and RandoEFC will know how the drivers feel as we've been playing F1 on the PS4 for a few years.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Me and RandoEFC will know how the drivers feel as we've been playing F1 on the PS4 for a few years.

I played F1 2000 when you could go backwards when you're losing and block Hakkinen and Coulthard, causing them damage. I'm experienced and definitely know how the drivers feel. 

33 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Due to it being close between Max and Lewis. Anyone else get agitated round an hour before the race? Kind of nervy and on edge. Generally just wanting the race to start.

This reminds me of the guy who applied for an American football job at a small school and his resume was full of his Madden PS4 accomplishments. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived